Living proof that there are fat vegetarians

Options
Hey! I'm Stephanie. I'm 25, a mother of a 7 year old, a vegetarian and about 60 pounds overweight. You'd think being a vegetarian hippy chick living in the active outdoor state of Oregon, I'd be skinny. Nope. So here I am. Trying to get back on track in time for summer hiking, rafting, paddle boarding and the other things us Oregonians usually like to do. Anyone feel free to add me! Where are you from? What do you enjoy doing? :)

Replies

• jkehler47
    jkehler47 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I feel like I just read my own bio! My name is Jamie, I'm 25, have a 1.5 y/o daughter, am a vegetarian from Manitoba Canada and have about 60 lbs to lose :smile: love the outdoors and being active, just need my motivation back!
  • Formallyknownassteph
    Options
    Oh nice! Well, as nice as it can be I suppose. Haha. ;)
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    What does it for you? Carbs and sweets? I guess I didn't get fat eating steak and chicken... Though the bacon cheeseburgers didn't help... lol
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Did you end up eating too many calories worth? I know that there are many calorie-heavy vegetarian foods, but I've been trying to keep my eye out and avoid them like the plague [went vegetarian to help me stay on-track for diet, as it works to keep myself accountable].
  • jkehler47
    jkehler47 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pasta and all of those meat substitues like veggie burgers got me!
  • Formallyknownassteph
    Options
    Pasta! Haha. That is a biggie.
  • hbaer88
    hbaer88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello overweight vegetarian from TX. I have been a no red meat eater for 4yrs now. Have about 40lbs to loose!! I have had my eyes opened with the calories in my foods. Doc has also put me on low carb diet also, ugh. Add me, always looking for friends and support.
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for over 3 years and most of that time I spent weighing in at 215 lbs and 5'4"...so an obese vegan lol. I didn't even eat bread or sugar (because most commercial breads have L-cystine which is from goose feathers and sugar can be filtered through animal bone product.) So I had a diet of veggies, fruits, wild rice, beans, nuts, etc and was still overweight. My issues with weight are strictly hormonal, I was a very thin person before puberty. I have PCOS and a pituitary adenoma which cause random rapid weight gain on and off....
  • ledaisyface
    ledaisyface Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ah the great Northwest. I've never been but I long to visit. I'm a vegetarian too and quickly gained 30 lbs in the past year. I used to be vegan but stopped after 4 years. Gotta get back on track
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I must say the vegetarians I know have just as many weight problems as the non-vegetarians.
  • santiac217
    santiac217 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Grain are a very good source of protein but be careful because grains are also consider as starch, when I ate grains I use 1/2 cup and add other sources of proteins like spinach
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but it is mind-boggling that people don't understand that you go through the same struggles as everyone else. I remember on the MFP facebook page, someone commenting on some goofball diet advice (like all those featured blogs seem to be) "People wouldn't worry about this if they ate a plant-based diet :)" like they somehow found the cure for obesity. They must not be an actual MFP user, and if they are, they haven't been to the forums and seen all of the vegetarians who wound up here for the same reasons as the omnivores. /rant