Having trouble trusting this process

Options
I have had a lot of health issues that have caused huge set backs on all parts of my life and no matter what I did I could not lose the weight. Instead I was steadily gaining causing me to panic because the doctors seemed unable to help me figure this out. I think after trial and error I may be seeing some progress especially when I started to keep track of everything I ate using this system. But it is still to early and the anxiety of not being able to see if this will be finally when I start changing my life around seems to be getting the best of me. The fear is almost paralyzing and in turn this makes me want to give up. Is anyone else grappling with some of these issues? Any advice?

Replies

• gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    First of all you have to decide this is what you want. You must decide that this is what you want beyond all else. That when your mind tells your body that you must run as fast as you can you can then tell your mind that it is wrong. It has no choice. It must do this.

I have a physical disability and I also have an anxiety disorder. I learned from the physical disability that there are times when I just had to do something even though I knew it was going to hurt. I weighed what I wanted to do against the fact that I was willing to hurt for it. So you have to decide, are you going to do this or are you not?

Now to dealing with anxiety. You know that this is your brain responding to information the wrong way. You know what the right way for it to respond is. When you have a panic/anxiety attack, take a breath. Remind your mind what the correct response is and if you can face the issue causing the anxiety. Sometimes you will be able to handle it, sometimes you won't. But keep at it and eventually your brain will learn the correct response or at least to a point where you can deal with it.

Then there are times when you just have to decide 'even though I'm having an anxiety attack I'm going to do it anyway.'

I wish you luck. If you'd like to send me a friend request feel free.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just do it! You will do awesome.
  • Anna334
    Anna334 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you both very much. Sometimes you just need to hear you can do this. My anxiety also comes from medications that have my hormones all over the place. But I keep telling myself I will not let Cancer win! I am done with it and ready to let go of all of the pain and damage that it did to my body and my family. Nite :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Read through all of these forums and you will see countless stories from people for whom the process worked brilliantly. People who had 100+ pounds to lose, those with 10 or less, and everything in between. I find some of these stories truly inspirational.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Trust me, it works.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Read up on it and learn how it works. Im intensely logical and analytical so I have to know how it works, but once you do and accept it, then you realise it applies to you, just the same as everyone else and you will lose weight in the same way as everyone else. the task os that you follow it properly and most notably ensure you have an accurate and consistent deficit.

The you have to just be patient becayse weight loss isntlinear and you look at the trend and no day to day readings. Try and relax and keep it simple.

You may wish to find some other tragets or you will onssess about weight, so tape measure, achievments at the gym etc are all hings you cna aim for.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After 30 days of using mfp I'm down 8 lbs and 2 inches off of my waist. It doesnt show this on my profile (apparently i need to reset my starting weight but im okay with it as is for the moment).That's even counting for a hand full of days where I went over a few hundred calories.

Commit to it. It works! :)
  • Rogalina16
    Rogalina16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Trust me it works!! I felt like giving up after losing 5 kilos because my weightloss stopped for a couple of weeks. Now that I have lost another 10kilos I'm so glad I didn't give up when I wanted to. We can do this!!!
  • Anna334
    Anna334 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all again I will keep it up. All the advice is helpful and I am hopeful. :)
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It definitely works. But even if it doesn't, there's no way you will be worse off for trying so just go for it! And understand that making mistakes happens and every day you get a new start
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It does eork not only have i lost 20lbs my bff has lupus an DC is on here and this is helping her immensely. Im so proud of her for joining snd tsking back her life and not letting lupus get yhe best of her. She has good days and bad but she trucks on. You can do this stick with it!
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am just like you. I'm current on all the science about weight loss, but if you ask me what my personal experience has been, it defies science completely. I don't really trust the process at all. So the way I tackled this was by experimenting on myself. As I read articles about giving up artificial sweeteners, cutting HCFS, adding vitamin D, adding nuts and blueberries, cutting out starches, interval training, moderate exercise 5 times per week, etc., I tried each new thing for a few weeks to see if it had any effect and dropped it it if didn't. I found A LOT of things that worked for me that way. All the while I counted calories on here and tried to add as much protein and fiber as I could. By doing all this, I'm keeping my mind off the end goal of being a normal weight and keeping it on learning about how my body responds to my choices. It's helped with my own anxiety and feelings of powerlessness a lot. I really hope you can find a way to feel better about your journey as well.
  • raynedasie
    raynedasie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Last time I counted calories I lost 50lbs ! It was a long process but it does work.
    I of course gained it back when I had my son. So here we go again !
    I find if I make myself log everything that I consume during the day that I don't eat nearly as much because I loom at the numbers and say oh that's 180 calories for that cookie and I only have 1800 for the entire day.,.just not worth it. Lol sometimes I splurge but still.
    As long as you make yourself accountable and don't cheat you'll do great !
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You've gotta step through this logically. Giving up certainly doesn't work.