Jillian Michaels...how do I figure out how many calories I've burned?

Options
So, I am fairly new to MFP... Just started tracking my calories and working out again this week... I am having trouble figuring out how to log some of my work outs accurately... For example, I just finished doing work out one of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video... It is only 20 minutes, it is an INTENSE 20 mins, combining strength and cardio...MFP has it burning less cals than I would think (or hope!! Lol)...how would you log it? Under strength or cardio? Thanks!! :)

Replies

• c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I put it under cardio then circuit training
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It won't burn that much calories - it is not HIIT, so not a crazy burn in 20 minutes...Get a heart rate monitor - lots of things will make a difference - intensity, weight (doing the shred with 10 lbs weighs instead of 3 pounders) and so on....
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I second - cardio / circuit training.

We tend to overestimate our calorie burn from workouts, and underestimate our calorie consumption. So even if the calorie count seems low, keep it as is and eat within the calories you have left to see better results.
  • elizabethdharvey
    elizabethdharvey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) Yep...using 8 lb weights so hopefully that will help...we are going to Disney and then the beach in 39 days and I'm trying to lose a little weight and tone up as quickly as possible!! I've even given up my wine
  • elizabethdharvey
    Options
    Lol
  • hnaquin280
    hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) Yep...using 8 lb weights so hopefully that will help...we are going to Disney and then the beach in 39 days and I'm trying to lose a little weight and tone up as quickly as possible!! I've even given up my wine

Brave lady! Haha I could never give up my wine
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate calorie burn. Once I finally replaced the battery in mine...I found out the calories I was logging from MFP's database for cardio-circuit training was more than I was actually burning. So, a heart rate monitor is a good investment. ;)
  • SunBunzz
    SunBunzz Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've done the Shred twice. This is my 3rd time around, and I've put on about 15 pounds from slacking off the past year. lol When I had a HRM it was around 200 calories burned. (I'm 5'2, average weight in the upper 130s) I do a little extra cardio on the side after, maybe dancing or walking for around 20-30 minutes after. This makes it close to 300 for my day.
  • elizabethdharvey
    Options
    hnaquin280 wrote: »

Brave lady! Haha I could never give up my wine

Lol!! This is the hardest part!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So, I am fairly new to MFP... Just started tracking my calories and working out again this week... I am having trouble figuring out how to log some of my work outs accurately... For example, I just finished doing work out one of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video... It is only 20 minutes, it is an INTENSE 20 mins, combining strength and cardio...MFP has it burning less cals than I would think (or hope!! Lol)...how would you log it? Under strength or cardio? Thanks!! :)

MFP's circuit training entry gives me about 20 calories more than my Fitbit does for the workout.

The last 2 times I've done 30DS Level one I got 146 & 135 calories from my fitbit. For reference I'm 5'4.5" and about 135.4 lbs currently.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I found a website that helped me calculate the calories burned I can't remember what it was I will try n find it but I'm 5'1" 181 and it says I would burn approx 195 cals