depo shot

Options
agambli
agambli Posts: 7 Member
Hi I just got on the depo shot on Tuesday when got it I was weighing 121 I'm exercising three times a day I would like to maintain my weight or lose some weight always struggle with my weight and I don't want to gain anymore weight.
I heard so many stories about the depo shot that it cause an increase in appreciate and I also heard that wasn't true and the shot just make u gain weight I was wondering is there any successful stories about the shot and what I should eat and what I should do not to gain weight on the depo... Thanks :)

Replies

• rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while on the depo. I didn't have any side effects at all. I'm not on it now because I don't want the hormones and have an IUD but it didn't change weight loss for me.
  • agambli
    Options
    Okay thanks ive just been worried about gaining weight on it and I haven't been eating that much cause I think I'll gain weight
  • agambli
    Options
    And I'm just only gonna be on the shot till August then I was gonna Switch but I probably won't be on anymore birth control in awhile
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Ive been on the shot for over 12months, yeah if you don't eat right and exercise you will put on weight not because of the shot but because of what you eat v exercise.
  • agambli
    Options
    What's a good diet ?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    This is kinda tricky. Personally I'm only able to lose weight the first 2 months of a shot cycle, the third is a bounce around by a couple pounds thing. Why this is I can't really say, water weight, hormone flux, etc. And only you can find a good diet for you. Experiment.
  • paleogal1129
    paleogal1129 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The shot doesn't really cause weight gain so much as an increased appetite. I've never been on it but my baby sister has and she has noticed weight gain and blames it on the shot. I noticed she's definitely reaching for the chip back more often. YMMV.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I work for Planned Parenthood and we typically don't push our patients to get the Depo simply because most don't tolerate it well. Have you tried other forms of birth control? Such as the pill or Implanon?
  • VioletteJ88
    VioletteJ88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did have depo about 7 years ago after having my son. My doctor informed me that the number one side effect was weight gain although I did not have that issue.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo for two years, as it's the only form of bc I can take, and yes, I initially gained ten pounds. I gained that weight because of an increase in appetite and I wasn't exercising or watching what I ate, no tracking my intake or anything. Once I joined MFP I lost fifty pounds with minimal difficulty by creating a calorie deficit. I eat all the same stuff as before (sweets, etc; my diet is pretty "dirty" by some people's standards here), just less of it.

TL;DR depo doesn't cause you to gain weight, it increases your appetite (not everyone though).
  • agambli
    Options
    Yeah I have been on the iud after my first child and the iud moved out of place and had pelvic pain and then I was on the pill after that then I got pregnant with my second child after I had him got on the pills again but it made me feel sick and had heads so I'm on this shot till I get the birth control that goes into ur arm
    And yeah my doctor told me it can cause weight gain if it increases your appetite and u keep eating and eating but as long as I eat right no and dont over eat and exercise I should b fine ive been freaking out cause I don't want any weight gain I wasn't planning on getting the shot but it just happened at my appointment I got talked to getting it now I regret it cause I don't want the weight gain to happen
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I had two friends who gained 50-60 lbs after going on depo and fairly quickly. I never gained anything and have been on it for many many years. Everyone's body will react different. You will just have to wait and see.
  • airwicca
    airwicca Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had a friend take depo and she gained a lot of weight.like 40 pounds.she said it took less food than normal to gain.she also became a huge b1tch from it.LOL watch out for possible moodiness!
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I had a ton of side effects. But not weight gain. Still I'd never do it again.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had weight gain and other side effects with being on the shot for a year. Then I got off of it for a while and switched to pills.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Never mind... I hadn't realized you'd already gotten the shot... that changes my post completely. :#

I suggest searching side effects and asking around first next time before you try something new that's quite controversial. Some it effects very severely, everyone is different. To say the only way we gain on meds is over eating is simplifying it. Certain medicines have powerful side effects... particularly those dealing with hormones.
  • amberskinner
    amberskinner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 pounds on it, 16 years ago. It didn't increase my appetite, I was told it didn't break down the carbohydrates like your body normally does.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I went on depo right after my daughter was born and stayed on it for 3 years with no side effects and I lost all my pregnancy weight during the first year. I only went off because my husband got snipped.

Everyone is affected in their own way.
  • agambli
    Options
    I'm only gonna be on it till August I do regret getting it but ive only been on it for a week and havent notice anything yet but I probably won't get on any other birth control after this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!