Paleo diet for Hypothyroidism

Options
laurende1022
laurende1022 Posts: 28 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone tried the paleo diet for thyroid issues? I've been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and trying to do as much research as possible. I understand it's going to have to be a life change, not just a short term diet. Has anyone had success with making this transition? I'm a little apprehensive.

Replies

• LaurenBourlier_fitness
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as well but have not looked into Paleo yet. I agree that this needs to be a long term change in diet rather than a quick fix. Will you let me know if you find anything out about the paleo?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Are you under the care of a doctor for this?

Correct dosage of medication/correct medication is far more important than diet in management of thyroid disease.

Autoimmune paleo protocol claims are unsubstantiated.

The only theoeretical dietary link out there is between hypothyroidism and gluten because some people who have Hashimoto's disease also have celiac disease (raises hand).
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hypothyroid doesn't necessarily mean autoimmune disorder. I'm hypothyroid due to thyroidectomy for cancer. An Endo that I speak with regularly who also had thyroid cancer, said the best "diet" is a lower carb diet. I feel less sluggish and more motivated when I avoid processed, starchy or sugary foods...I have a group on here called thyroid cancer/thyroid problems. Feel free to check it out and I hope you get to feeling better!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Actually hypothyroid was probably not common in paleo populations, mainly because the people with it would have died. Modern medicine is the reason you know you have the issue, not your tribe's shaman, why wouldn't you go with modern medicine's recommendations for how to treat it?
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is related to weight gain, low activity levels, and just overall feelings of sluggishness.

Following a Paleo/Primal lifestyle will help lose the weight, increase activity, and feel better.

It may not get your thyroid hopping, but can help reduce the amount of synthroid you will need to be taking.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid doesn't necessarily mean autoimmune disorder. I'm hypothyroid due to thyroidectomy for cancer. An Endo that I speak with regularly who also had thyroid cancer, said the best "diet" is a lower carb diet. I feel less sluggish and more motivated when I avoid processed, starchy or sugary foods...I have a group on here called thyroid cancer/thyroid problems. Feel free to check it out and I hope you get to feeling better!

I generalized with Hashi's simply because it's usually the cause of primary hypothyroidism and it's the only reason there's a tenuous dietary link ever made.

My bad.
  • betthouston
    betthouston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Laurende,

I've had Hashimoto's for 25 years. I've progressed from a mild form to my thyroid being pretty calcified and I've had to have biopsies and ultrasounds. Out of 6 different Endocrinologists I've had over the years, only one has ordered detailed blood work (without prodding) and agreed that how I was FEELING was just as important- if not more important- than what my test numbers said. Hashimoto's can be tricky. I have found that you must be your own advocate and learn everything you can!

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease and many people with it also have 'leaky gut' (exceptionally permeable intestines) which can cause inflammation responses in your body. It can also trigger other autoimmune diseases. So it is not just a matter of taking a pill and being done with it. Don't ever let anyone tell you that, because it's just not so. Most people with Hashi's tweak their meds over time, and some of us have levels that fluctuate a lot which can throw you off. On the other hand, for some folks it's not too disruptive and they do just fine with low doses of meds.

Read as much as you can! Mary Shomon is a fantastic source and has written some great books. I highly recommend her advice. She is also a Hashi's patient who had to figure things out for herself.

I just ordered Sarah Ballantyne's books- The Paleo Approach (focuses on autoimmune diseases) and her cookbook. I am reading it now and am planning to do the elimination diet for 6 weeks. I've had a lot of symptoms that are causing me to feel they're an inflammatory issue: intense headaches, joint pain, pronounced fatigue, maddening itching, especially after I eat certain things. And my seasonal allergies are crazy this season. So I'm going to get strict and hope the anti-inflammatory food and the elimination diet helps. I know a few people who have been helped a lot with this plan, so I'm hoping I will be too.

I wish you all the best! If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is a very common medical condition, which means there is also a huge margin of profit for people selling books and other products. It is a matter of taking a pill, making sure you are checked regulalry and adjusting your dosage. Very simple and very effective. Or you can make it into something much bigger than what it really is, blame mysterious symptoms to it, and spend money and effort to fad approaches.
  • paleogal1129
    paleogal1129 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying a paleo diet to address some of my own autoimmune conditions. Feel free to add me if you'd like a person to chat with about becoming paleo. I would suggest books to read like The Primal Blueprint (which is good introduction) Practical Paleo, which is a good over all guide, and the Paleo Approach by Dr. Sarah Ballentyne. Her book is fantastic! It's specific to autoimmune conditions, but covers how to help treat and heal your disease (or at least put it into remission) through diet in lifestyle. I love it because it does all talk about how to work with your doctor and the new lifestyle to seem maximum benefits. The Paleo Approach references over 1200 studies, which definitely leads some credibility to her recommendations. Best of luck to you!
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm Addisonian (literally no thyroid hormones at all, my thyroid is pretty much dead, I don't produce cortisol or estrogen, either) and I'm vegan. Works perfectly for me. Before going vegan I was paleo for a little bit but it did affect my glucose quite a bit because I am on steroids.

If you're on synthroid, (which you likely are), just pay attention to whatever foods won't upset your GI too much, you should be fine, though :smile:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm also hypothyroid. I take my meds, eat at a calorie deficit, and lose weight. Try not to over complicate things until the simple stuff isn't working.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I'm also hypothyroid. I take my meds, eat at a calorie deficit, and lose weight. Try not to over complicate things until the simple stuff isn't working.

^This. I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost the weight (and have maintained for a year) by learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This paleo thing is really pissing me off. I'm all for everyone eating whatever diet they choose, including the healthiest ones and the most unhealthy. I don't care what other people eat.

But these paleo people have passed their diet off as a cure for cancer, mental illness and now thyroid disease.

THEY know it's all false. They're trying to sell books and don't care.

Do not take your health info based on anything you find online or in ridiculous books. Take it from your doctor. If you don't completely trust him, get a second, third, fourth opinion, but don't base your health on what these vile people are selling.

There's a place in hell for those who dole out incorrect medical advice to make money and those paleo people are going there.

And please don't give these people more money. They don't deserve it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    This paleo thing is really pissing me off. I'm all for everyone eating whatever diet they choose, including the healthiest ones and the most unhealthy. I don't care what other people eat.

But these paleo people have passed their diet off as a cure for cancer, mental illness and now thyroid disease.

Do not take your health info based on anything you find online or in ridiculous books. Take it from your doctor. If you don't completely trust him, get a second, third, fourth opinion, but don't base your health on what these vile people are selling.

There's a place in hell for those who dole out incorrect medical advice to make money and those paleo people are going there.

They also came dangerously close to releasing a paleo cooking book that could have killed children with the dietary guidelines and foods it recommended feeding kids.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the paleo diet for thyroid issues? I've been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and trying to do as much research as possible. I understand it's going to have to be a life change, not just a short term diet. Has anyone had success with making this transition? I'm a little apprehensive.

So that would be a no for synthroid????
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

They also came dangerously close to releasing a paleo cooking book that could have killed children with the dietary guidelines and foods it recommended feeding kids.
    They really should start arresting people for practicing medicine without a license. Also for any damage that results from giving advice that people follow that ends up harming them.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jrosto wrote: »
    Hypothyroidism is related to weight gain, low activity levels, and just overall feelings of sluggishness.

Following a Paleo/Primal lifestyle will help lose the weight, increase activity, and feel better.

It may not get your thyroid hopping, but can help reduce the amount of synthroid you will need to be taking.

No, it will not. The only cure for hypothyroidism is medication (hormone replacement), and diet has no effect on how much medication is required.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
    Generally, there's no hypothyroidism diet. Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.

OP, please get your medical advice from your endocrinologist, not strangers on the internet.
  • Anna83704
    Anna83704 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to believe the whole "just take a pill and you're fine" approach to my Hashimoto's. Until I began to suffer from horrible joint pain in my hands and inflammation everywhere. My doc suspected food allergies/sensitivities (which is very common w/ Hashimoto's), and had me do a 6 week elimination diet to figure out what was wreaking havoc on my system. Turns out, I turn into the Stay-Puft marshmallow man whenever I ingest gluten, dairy, soy or too much corn or nightshades.

So I'm Paleo due to Hashimoto's. Really only because Paleo happens to eliminate what I shouldn't be eating anyway. That said, there are plenty of Hashimoto's and Hypo patients out there that don't have food sensitivities. If I was one of the lucky ones, I'd happily be a IIFYM type gal.
  • alyshalise
    alyshalise Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you under the care of a doctor for this?

Correct dosage of medication/correct medication is far more important than diet in management of thyroid disease.

Autoimmune paleo protocol claims are unsubstantiated.

The only theoeretical dietary link out there is between hypothyroidism and gluten because some people who have Hashimoto's disease also have celiac disease (raises hand).

I have hypothyroid, pcos and just this past Friday got diognosed with celiacs