night sweats

Options
ok some nights I am waking up drenched...me the pillow the sheets everything and I am confused. I did a search here it said carbs too close to bed time, then another said proteins too close to bed time and then a 3rd said perimenopause.

I am 36 so the 3rd one could be but I like the other 2 better so what does everyone else think? Do you have this too?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If this is something new you could be starting menopause. Talk to your Doctor the next time you go and have your levels checked. I am 55 and have been getting them for years. I thought they would stop by now but no luck yet. My Daughter is in her early 30's and gets them.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It could very well be perimenopause - I started getting symptoms when I was 35 or 36. Have you noticed other changes in your cycle and/or sleeping patterns? Best way to know is to go for a blood test (to check your hormone levels).
  • sandynx820
    sandynx820 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some meds can cause that too. I was on steroids for a while and I would wake up every night drenched. Also am on Savella right now and that is supposed to be one of the biggest side effects...fortunately I haven't had a problem with that yet but I haven't been taking them that long.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ok some nights I am waking up drenched...me the pillow the sheets everything and I am confused. I did a search here it said carbs too close to bed time, then another said proteins too close to bed time and then a 3rd said perimenopause.

I am 36 so the 3rd one could be but I like the other 2 better so what does everyone else think? Do you have this too?

There have been some studies that suggested that eating a diet high in soy can help with night sweats and hot flashes. However, other studies have failed to show the same. I like soy (soy milk, tofu, edamame) anyway and it's healthy so I have made an effort over the last several years to add more to my diet. I'm a lot closer to menopause than you and so far so good in my little study of one.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    oh joy more blood work, just call me pin cushion! I just went for the non weight loss thing thinking it was thyroid and it is not that or blood sugar levels guess my body is just stubborn!

will have to discuss it with the MD at next visit and get those levels checked!
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i had them since my late 30's until recently. As of January I cut almost all carbs out of my diet. In addition to weightloss I have stopped sweating at night any my husband (who also cut out carbs) has stopped snoring. We both feel so much better.