Hot yoga

Options
How many cals does an average woman burn in one hour? I can't find it in the selection. TIA

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    No more than regular yoga, which isn't really all that much to begin with.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Not many at all. Yoga helps with flexibility not with weight loss.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just because you are sweating doesn't mean you are necessarily burning more calories. I meet a lot of people in my hot yoga classes that freak out "OMG, I must have burned 1,000,000 calories."

No
  • wervie
    wervie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll just record it as normal yoga. It was a great class though :smile:
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Depends what type of yoga. If you do an intense vinyasa flow class you can burn a good chunk of calories. It all depends how quickly you move through the different postures, if there's lots of plank work, arm balances and inversions.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I went to check out a hot yoga class, and the instructor, the INSTRUCTOR said I could burn 4 times as many calories as a regular yoga class. I asked how, and she replied that it was because your heart rate got so much higher.

I just thanked her and left. Hard to take them seriously when they don't even understand basic health & fitness.
  • GertrusiveThoughts
    GertrusiveThoughts Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    Depends what type of yoga. If you do an intense vinyasa flow class you can burn a good chunk of calories. It all depends how quickly you move through the different postures, if there's lots of plank work, arm balances and inversions.

Agreed. Ashtanga and acro-yoga classes burn plenty of calories, and many people are able to lose substantial weight through these more intense styles. I lost 15 lbs just by taking yoga classes and was able to tone up my upper body quite a bit.