Hand swelling during exercise (?)

Options
Firstly, before i run onto the question part, i just wanted to do a little happy dance. Before i started using MFP and trying to be healthy again, when i was bored i would usually snack on something and stay sitting in front of my computer or whatnot, and would end up feeling so guilty and urgh about myself. BUT NOT TODAY! today, i felt bored and instead of craving food, i instead felt like going to the gym, so i did! and ended up doing 45 minutes of interval training on the treadmill instead :)

However, here is where the question comes in; Whilst i was on the treadmill today my fingers and hands started swelling up, to the point where it was really uncomfortable to grasp the bars so i could get a heart rate reading...any ideas why? This has never happened before, and i've been going to the gym for the last 2 weeks. Although today was my first day of hardcore interval training, is it something to do with that?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Found this online.

Hand swelling during exercise is a fairly common problem. The cause isn't completely clear, but hand swelling appears to be a result of the way your body and blood vessels respond to the increased energy demands of your muscles during exercise.

Exercise increases blood flow to your heart and lungs, as well as to the muscles you're working. This reduces blood flow to your hands, making them cooler. In turn, the blood vessels in your hands may overreact by opening wider — which could lead to hand swelling.

As you continue to exercise, your muscles generate heat that makes your system push blood to the vessels closest to the surface of your body, to dissipate heat. This response triggers perspiration and may also contribute to hand swelling.
  • MissNoDoubt
    MissNoDoubt Posts: 13
    Options
    Bump, Mine do it as well. I have to flex my fingers several times before they feel normal again!
  • suehisto
    suehisto Posts: 1
    Options
    Very interesting. This has happened to me, also. I figured I was just terribly out of shape. Now I know I am not unusual.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Firstly, before i run onto the question part, i just wanted to do a little happy dance. Before i started using MFP and trying to be healthy again, when i was bored i would usually snack on something and stay sitting in front of my computer or whatnot, and would end up feeling so guilty and urgh about myself. BUT NOT TODAY! today, i felt bored and instead of craving food, i instead felt like going to the gym, so i did! and ended up doing 45 minutes of interval training on the treadmill instead :)

However, here is where the question comes in; Whilst i was on the treadmill today my fingers and hands started swelling up, to the point where it was really uncomfortable to grasp the bars so i could get a heart rate reading...any ideas why? This has never happened before, and i've been going to the gym for the last 2 weeks. Although today was my first day of hardcore interval training, is it something to do with that?

I get this sometimes when I walk or hike because I tend to keep my hands down and swing my arms. I don't get it with most other exercises though.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I'm glad you asked because I've been meaning to too. My hands swell when I exercise, especially in warmer weather.
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My fingers do that everytime I workout. I always have to remember to take my rings off before working out, otherwise it's very uncomfortable.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    yes this happens to me as well, I usually just remove my wedding ring before working out then put it back on after cooling down.

Completely normal.
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    Happens to me too! I thought it was because I'm so unfit and have a lot of weight to lose, but maybe not! Thanks :)
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too! I too, just thought it was because I was unfit...or maybe not drinking enough water during my workout.