What's the deal with no sugar added ice cream

Options
It says no sugar added but has 22g of carbs, 5g of sugar, 1g of fiber per half cup? Where are those extra carbs coming from? I assumed most of the carbs in ice cream were from sugar, but what else is it if there are only 5g of sugar?

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Any of the dairy products in it, as well as whatever they're using to flavor it would be my first guess without seeing the label. Does it have sugar alcohols, and if so, are they listed separately?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It shows malitol syrup but doesn't list sugar alcohols so I assumed that was already subtracted out.

I figured the lactose was part of the 5g sugars.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Skim milk + some of the ingredients in the raspberry swirl
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Oh wow I just looked up skim milk, that does have a lot of sugar, how weird.

So am I wrong for assuming that would be part of the sugars?
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Oh wow I just looked up skim milk, that does have a lot of sugar, how weird.

So am I wrong for assuming that would be part of the sugars?

No, that's definitely part of the sugars, but the fruit juice would add some, too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    All the more reason to eat regular ice cream, slow churned ice cream, or froyo.

Edit: of course, unless the low sugar/sugar free option is due to a medical reason .
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There's sugar free ice cream, but it isn't very good...I work in an assisted living center and we carry no added sugar klondikes. We need to remind the diabetics constantly that there is still 7 grams of sugar in those...
  • kvcreed
    kvcreed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd rather just eat a small scoop of regular ice cream with a it's yumminess on occasion. Most of the 'sugar free' treats taste like paper to me.
    Also 'sugar free' is starting to mean 'just no actual granulated white sugar added, but we'll just put a ton of other stuff that's sugar anyway into it, like agave syrup, and then hide behind the happy fact that very few people read labels.'
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no sugar added =/= sugar free.

I like no sugar added- it's just LESS sugar. Usually tastes reasonably good- I have gone through god only knows how many Turkey Hill no Sugar added Moose Tracks. Sh'ts delicious.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    It was delicious! It worked well for me since it was low in cals and I wasn't planning to go for ice cream. I was just curious where the extra carbs were from, I guess I just assumed the sugar and fiber would add up to the total carbs, I guess there is something else there too. I'll research it more so I have a better understanding on food labels.

I will say too much of it, was toooo much, likely the sugar alcohols that didn't like me very much.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

thanks -

LACTOSE REDUCED SKIM MILK*, WATER, RASPBERRY SWIRL (MALTITOL SYRUP, RASPBERRY PUREE, WATER, POLYDEXTROSE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, NATURAL FLAVORS, GLYCERINE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYL CELLULOSE, RED 40, SUCRALOSE), MALTODEXTRIN, POLYDEXTROSE, SORBITOL, NATURAL RASPBERRY FLAVOR [NATURAL FLAVOR, WATER, CONCENTRATED FRUIT JUICE (ELDERBERRY, APPLE AND RASPBERRY), CITRIC ACID], MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE (CELLULOSE GEL), MONO-AND DIGLYCERIDES*, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN, WHEY*, SUCRALOSE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE*. *ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF FAT

Carbohydrate
    Sugar alcohol
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @yarwell thank you
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    idk the answer to your question but that ice cream pie recipe next to it looks fantastic
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    no sugar added =/= sugar free.

I like no sugar added- it's just LESS sugar. Usually tastes reasonably good- I have gone through god only knows how many Turkey Hill no Sugar added Moose Tracks. Sh'ts delicious.

+1
    I don't mind the no sugar added stuff.