Excersise Cals

Options
Becca21
Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
Are the excersie cals burned on here acurate. i cant afford a heart rate monitor

Replies

• DanceMomCG
    DanceMomCG Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping they are! :-) I'm procrastinating with buying a HRM as well...if I invest in one I want it ot be a good one. Kind of using it as a reward for hitting a goal!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My experience has been they are a little high. I would recommend eating back only half of your exercise calories if you are just tracking on MFP and not with a HRM. That will help you not go over.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Yeah I have noticed MFP is a little high on exercise calories. Eat back some of your calories but not them all, to be safe.
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My experience has been they are a little high. I would recommend eating back only half of your exercise calories if you are just tracking on MFP and not with a HRM. That will help you not go over.

i agree. it's best to try to invest in a hrm. you can find one for $30 and up.
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    Options
    My experience is that they are quite high when compared to my HRM. Just don't eat them all back.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My HRM (Timex personal trainer with chest strap) is usually double what MFP estimates. Haha, I'd say average out the replies (high v. low v. accurate) and follow that. Maybe eat back half 4 days a week and all 3 days a week (that way if you're over it's not by much, and if you're under you'll shock your metabolism into kicking up again).
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    There is always at least 100 calorie difference between my HRM calories burned and MFP calories burned. MFP doesnt take into acount effort or fitness level so I def wouldnt eat back all your exercise calories.

I have a polar FT4 HRM and it is my favourite thing ever. I have used it nearly every day for 4 months!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you have a really high resting heart rate, I wonder if the HRM accounts for that. I'm small, with some minor circulatory issues, and my RHR is always around 80. Do you calculate the calories as some sort of percentage of your MAX hr? I forget, and it's been ages since I took that class in college...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    In other news, I have been eating back my exercise calories and NOT using a HRM...and I'm still losing at the rate predicted by MFP
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    thank you