Digital or Old School Scale Accuracy?

Options
Okay so my Digital scale is 2 years old and one of the rubber pieces for the foot came off so I figure its a few pounds off (shows 221lbs) But I just bought and old school one that says I am (216lbs) which one is most accurate from your experience? I am still going to measure every month but I really love seeing the numbers go down on my scale, which scale should I rely on for accuracy?

Replies

• GuerillaChestGains
    GuerillaChestGains Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    L0vAnj wrote: »
    Okay so my Digital scale is 2 years old and one of the rubber pieces for the foot came off so I figure its a few pounds off (shows 221lbs) But I just bought and old school one that says I am (216lbs) which one is most accurate from your experience? I am still going to measure every month but I really love seeing the numbers go down on my scale, which scale should I rely on for accuracy?
    hey there!

Hopefully you get a new scale soon lol I would recommend a digital one...from my experience I think they last longer and you can get ones that have different metrics...they last longer because the balance mechanism doesn't rely on a spring that can wear down over time I've found analog scales (old school) can wear down easy or adjust unwantingly...digital scale shows you a dead on measurement... even if it isn't dead on (my guess) it is still better than an analog scale that can read back and forth as you stand on it....this is just my opinion and experience...hope it helps good luck!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    My dial scale is -2 pounds from my Wii, which everyone says is accurate, so I guess that's pretty close. It doesn't really matter though--pick one scale, leave it in one spot (uneven floors can affect readings), and weigh first thing in the morning, pre-liquid and post-bathroom. Ignore the other one--if you weigh yourself in your gym or doctor's office, those are likely to give you different weights too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I prefer digital scales. Older, traditional models generally need to be calibrated and aren't always accurate. I've noticed my weights be extremely off between my doctor's office and gym scales, which both are not digital models. I have a digital scale from CVS that weighs down to the decimal, and is consistent/accurate.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I weigh at my gyms scale. It's a really nice giant digital one and keeps me from obsessively weighing daily. I have an non digital one at home but it makes me feel way too good! It's probably within 3 lbs trending towards me weighing less on it though.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    L0vAnj wrote: »

As your weight will naturally vary due to many reasons. Accuracy isn't the issue it's more consistency which is why you should weigh yourself on the same scales in the same place at around the same time in the same clothes (or naked). You will find most scales will vary depending on calibration. Just pick one and stick with it and remember that your weight is only a guide as it changes naturally throughout the day week (both up and down) so follow the trend
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer digital, because I like to see the decimals. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I like my digital scale. I tested it the last time I went to my doctor. I weighed myself fully clothed just before leaving for the doctor's office, then was weighed at the office wearing exactly the same things 30 minutes later. They were within 1/2 lb. so I have no reason to doubt my scale's accuracy.

As others have said, pick one and use the same scale, in the same place, wearing the same thing (usually nothing), at the same time of day (usually after the toilet and before the coffee in the morning)
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The main thing you need from a scale is consistency, All scale calibrations are going to be different since most you cannot actually calibrate yourself by using a known weight in the high and low range you would need.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I also weigh at the gym so I am not obsessive also gives me more motivation to go.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Digital for convenience. Both a digital or analogue scale can be inaccurate.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I like the scales that shows the lowest weight
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think a digital scale is easier to read, so that's what I use. When I had my annual doctor visit, I took my scale with me and compared it to the doctor's scale. My scale was within one pound of the doctor's scale, and I figure that is pretty good.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Consumer grade scales can be inaccurate, but as long as they're accurate enough and consistent, they're ok. If the manufacturer used cheap load cells, or the calibration routine (usually step on-step off so it reads 0) isn't done periodically, they can produce sporadic readings.

Also temperature can be a factor. A cold morning could produce a significant error in some scales.

There's a great video on Scooby's site about scale accuracy.
  • rizmaeram
    rizmaeram Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Both has its pros and cons..but i agree about the consistency. It doesn't matter whether you're using an old school scale or a digital scale as long as your consistent with how you weigh that's all that matters.