Protein with every meal?

Options
This post is part question, part suggestion. I've read a number of articles and a book or two that suggest having protein with every meal. Since I'm all for more protein, I have been following that advice for about a year. I have noticed a more consistent energy level but since I've made other changes to my diet I can't say for sure if it is the protein at each meal.

On the few occasions I would have an all carb snack or meal I did notice feeling bloated and lethargic but any physical activity afterwards tends to even things out. Having an all carb snack after a moderate workout appears to have no negative effect.

Is the protein with every meal sound advice or does it fall under bro-science?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no clue but I eat protein with every meal but that is more to get it in for the day...and I like protein laden foods.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tend to. Most times it's planned but even if it wasn't, I suppose a "normal" tea would usually have like meat or fish or something with it anyway. Your body finds it extremely hard to turn protein to fat, and there are some amino acids that the body cannot generate itself anyway which we have to get from food, so I don't think it's a bad thing to be having protein with every meal personally.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Personally I think people get a bit over obsessed on Protein. I just aim for a balance of all Macros throughout the day. I have no hard or fast rules. You just need to do what works for you as we're all different.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't. I really like cereals and oatmeal and waffles/pancakes for breakfast. Instead I make sure I hit my daily goal. If that isn't done through meals, I eat a Quest bar (25 g) or supplement with a shake of sorts.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think it probably falls under bro-sci to have it with every meal, though you should get enough in your diet.

That said I do tend to eat some with each meal cause it fills me up!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    LOVE protein, so make sure it's part of every meal. Plus protein and fats keep one sated longer. As far as if you need to have it with every meal, I'm going to say negative.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I probably have protein with every meal because it works out that way (even my oatmeal has some protein.) I do plan to meet my protein goals each day but I don't have a minimum amount of protein per meal, just for the day overall.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's not intentional for me but protein is always incorporated in my meals. It does keep me full longer though.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough without having it at every meal, anyway, so it is what it is.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't. I really like cereals and oatmeal and waffles/pancakes for breakfast. Instead I make sure I hit my daily goal. If that isn't done through meals, I eat a Quest bar (25 g) or supplement with a shake of sorts.

If you have syrup with those pancakes, a moderate portion could be over 100 grams of carbohydrates. I'm about 190 pounds and my current carb goal is 143 grams. Having pancakes in the morning would mean I only have 43 carbs left for the day. I could manage that but it would be tough.

By the way, I love Quest bars as well.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »

If you have syrup with those pancakes, a moderate portion could be over 100 grams of carbohydrates. I'm about 190 pounds and my current carb goal is 143 grams. Having pancakes in the morning would mean I only have 43 carbs left for the day. I could manage that but it would be tough.

not as tough as you think mate if you get them from leafy veg and that
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I do have it with every meal but that's because protein fills me in the most. And it helps to get my daily protein level where I want it to be.

And it's delicious :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have two reasons. When type two diabetic, a balanced plate with all the macros will help me stabilize my sugars.

Second, if I am eating fewer calories it might be a challenge to eat enough protein to avoid unintended side effects like hair loss. Protein becomes a minimum target daily. If I eat it at every meal I know I am covered. For example, let's say I've reached my calorie target for my day but my protein is too low. I could eat some protein to fix that but then I am over for the calories that day. Always including protein helps me hit my target more often.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @lemonsnowdrop mention of waffles got me thinking about adding protein to waffle mix. My wife and I are big fans of waffles but we also prefer to moderate our carb intake. I bet I could add whey protein to waffle mix to increase the frequency we can have them.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it is not necessarily bro science but it's probably also not a deal breaker.

Diet adherence will be primarily important first and foremost. Total protein intake would likely be next in line followed further down the list by how that protein is spaced out.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Personally I think people get a bit over obsessed on Protein. I just aim for a balance of all Macros throughout the day. I have no hard or fast rules. You just need to do what works for you as we're all different.

would that be because you are a vegan????

As a lifter of heavy things I need the protein to help repair the muscles and it does keep you feeling fuller longer...

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I like to have protein in every meal because I feel like I stay fuller longer.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I try and stay low on carbs so protein it is. Besides it keeps you full longer.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My personal experience has been that I need to balance carbs and protein. If I eat carbs alone my blood sugar will spike and then crash in 2 - 3 hours causing the shakes.

If I always consume protein with carbs my blood sugar stays on a even keel and I avoid that crash.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »

Aunt Jemima Lite only has 26g of carbs per quarter cup. Regular has 52g per quarter cup. You must use about 1/2 cups if you're getting over 100g.