Help! I've hit a Plateau!

Options
Hello everyone! I am here for some advice. Since November I have been using MFP religiously and exercising 6 days a week. I lose weight at a very slow pace but its usually consistent. Today marks my first plateau so I am here for some advice. I have opened my diary for people to see.

A little about me:
When I started in November, I was a runner, not a very good one but I had completed 2 half marathons, multiple 5ks and 10ks without to much difficulty prior to this. In November, I decided to start eating cleaner (but not fully clean), started watching my Macros, and just start being more accountable. Did I mention I also weight and measure all my food?

The weight slowly started coming off. In January, I started training again for another half marathon. I was running about 20 miles a week. I changed my eating style to add in more protein, which helped speed up the weight loss a little bit. (I have never been the person who loses 2lbs a week, but more like the person losing 0.5lb per week). I ran my 3rd half in May, and PR'd it. I did it easily. After a short break to heal, I started a PIYO/Running hybrid. I follow PIYO religiously and today finished month 1. I run two days a week for 5miles at 5mph. I also do the ellipitical 1 other day for an hour. and bike for an hour on the 4th day. Plus I walk an hour during my lunch break at work. So if you total it up I work out about 1.5 hours per day, except Thursdays which is truly a rest day.

So......what am I doing wrong?? Why this plateau? and How do I break it?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Did you mention how long you've been at a plateau? Maybe I just missed it.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you have lost weight?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you saying it's been since you started Piyo that you haven't lost? A plateau is 4-6 with absolutely no changes.

Looking at your diary, though, it does appear you're eating more than you think. If you don't have one, you may want to consider purchasing a food scale and weighing everything--cup measurements aren't as accurate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale?
    do you eat back 100% of exercise calories?
  • daperfectmix
    daperfectmix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe lower your caloric intake.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Here is what the OP said...

" Did I mention I also weight and measure all my food?"

Along with...

"I have opened my diary for people to see."

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you saying it's been since you started Piyo that you haven't lost? A plateau is 4-6 with absolutely no changes.

Looking at your diary, though, it does appear you're eating more than you think. If you don't have one, you may want to consider purchasing a food scale and weighing everything--cup measurements aren't as accurate.

True. Have you lost inches even if you haven't lost any according to the scale? If so, you are not in a plateau. Short stalls (2-4 weeks) are not unusual. Make sure you are doing everything right as far as your weighing, measuring, and logging. Weigh all solids and semi-solids (like peanut butter) and measure liquids. Log everything. If you are already doing that, be patient . . . stalls happen.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Along with...

her diary has a lot of cup and tablespoon measurements…so perhaps she means she is using cups and what not and not a food scale?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Along with...

what does this have to do with a plateau?
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been at a plateau for 4 weeks. Since starting Piyo basically.
    I weigh my meats out, and yes I use a measuring cup for the fruits and the yogurt, etc. In the beginning I was weighing out all the things and found there wasn't much difference. Plus, their definitely is not a true half a cup of strawberries because I don't puree them or anything. It ends up being like 4 strawberries. I do weigh the sweet potato also.

I do not eat my exercise calories back.

My calorie intake is 1350. Anything less made me crazy and fatigued.

• ndj1979
    Options
    mecaseyrn wrote: »
    I weigh my meats out, and yes I use a measuring cup for the fruits and the yogurt, etc. In the beginning I was weighing out all the things and found there wasn't much difference. Plus, their definitely is not a true half a cup of strawberries because I don't puree them or anything. It ends up being like 4 strawberries. I do weigh the sweet potato also.

how come most of your entries from today are cups and tablespoons?

I would suggest weighing all solids for the next three weeks and see what happens.

A half cup of blackberries is going to vary depending on how you fill said half cup. Weighing it out in grams will be much more accurate.

Also, are you using the correct entries rom MFP database? I usually cross check them agains self.nutrient.com
  • mecaseyrn
    Options
    Ya. I can start measuring the solids on a scale. I do not usually cross check. It's probably my bad to assume things are correct on here.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ya. I can start measuring the solids on a scale. I do not usually cross check. It's probably my bad to assume things are correct on here.

the mfp database is like the wild west…

I usually try to use the USDA entries or look for ones that have been confirmed by multiple members.

Do you use the bar scanner from your phone? That is very helpful as well.

• ndj1979
    Options
    also, if you are training for a half marathon you could have some water retention going on which is masking your loss…

You can try to increase your water intake to where you are peeing a lot more which would help flush some of that out….
  • mecaseyrn
    Options
    Thank you so much this has all been helpful! On Sunday when I make my meals I will definitely be weighing my food on the scale and double checking. I do use the bar code scanner for the processed things which is why the yogurt is measured in half a cup. But all the produce does not have a bar code.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thank you so much this has all been helpful! On Sunday when I make my meals I will definitely be weighing my food on the scale and double checking. I do use the bar code scanner for the processed things which is why the yogurt is measured in half a cup. But all the produce does not have a bar code.

give that a shot for two weeks and see how it goes….
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I would suggest weighing all solids for the next three weeks and see what happens.

A half cup of blackberries is going to vary depending on how you fill said half cup. Weighing it out in grams will be much more accurate.

Also, are you using the correct entries from MFP database? I usually cross check them against self.nutrient.com

I agree... In your diary sometime you have "2 slices of bacon - 80 calories" and others "3 slices of bacon - 80 calories"... Double-check which values you are using, and weigh the bacon to better estimate. Also, you have 3 oz of chicken breast as being ~83 calories--most of the sites that I've seen reference USDA values say that 3 oz of chicken has 135-160 calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Your total intake is ONLY 1350 while exercising 5 more days a week for more than an hour? Sounds more like your body is adapting to the lack of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mecaseyrn
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your total intake is ONLY 1350 while exercising 5 more days a week for more than an hour? Sounds more like your body is adapting to the lack of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I guess my next stupid question would be, if 1350 is not acceptable for the amount that I work out, then what is?
  • mecaseyrn
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Also, are you using the correct entries from MFP database? I usually cross check them against self.nutrient.com

I agree... In your diary sometime you have "2 slices of bacon - 80 calories" and others "3 slices of bacon - 80 calories"... Double-check which values you are using, and weigh the bacon to better estimate. Also, you have 3 oz of chicken breast as being ~83 calories--most of the sites that I've seen reference USDA values say that 3 oz of chicken has 135-160 calories.

Yikes, you are correct. I did not realize the chicken was so incorrect. That was totally my bad. The bacon is two different types of bacon, the one is ready bacon, which I scanned and the other is another brand that I scanned in.