Drinking water?

Options
Does drinking water really make that big of a difference? I drink water but not the recommended eight glasses. Would that make that big of a difference?

Replies

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 20
    Options
    Does drinking water really make that big of a difference? I drink water but not the recommended eight glasses. Would that make that big of a difference?
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I read something recently in a diet handbook that said:

"Try to drink at least 6-8
    glasses of water per day, if
    possible (10 glasses per day
    is preferable, but at least 6-8
    glasses per day if possible).
    Water is a very important
    part of your daily effort to
    stay slim.
    If you don't drink enough
    water then your body will
    begin RETAINING WATER
    and you'll get a more "puffy"
    look when that happens.
    Contrary to popular belief,
    drinking lots of water does not make you retain it --
    in fact, you'll begin to retain water when you don't drink
    ENOUGH water per day.
    This is true because when you don't drink enough water
    each day then your body begins HOLDING ONTO AS
    MUCH WATER AS IT CAN (as a panic response).
    So remember, to stop retaining water you need to
    start drinking MORE water per day.
    *Water also helps your body to burn fat believe it or
    not."

Hope that helps...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yes it would! Oh my gosh...water is used for EVERYTHING. It is 40-70% of your total body mass, and is necessary for every life function! It's not just cool and refreshing, it is the medium in which all of your body's processes take place. You lose a lot each day through everything from sitting to exercising. Dehydration isn't just uncomfortable, and it doesn't just make you retain water weight. It can be deadly.
  • whumps
    whumps Posts: 5
    Options
    The latest advice from scientists about water (until they change their minds) is to drink when you're thirsty. Try it, it works. I'm not real keen on arbitrary numbers of glasses of water, because some people need more than other people.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The latest advice from scientists about water (until they change their minds) is to drink when you're thirsty. Try it, it works. I'm not real keen on arbitrary numbers of glasses of water, because some people need more than other people.

I've always heard the opposite...to take a proactive approach since you're already on the verge of dehydration when you're thirsty.

I generally drink about 3L a day, or until my urine is clear (weird I know lol). That's a good indicator of your level of hydration (except after taking a multivitamin, that will cause bright yellow urine).
  • bighenry111
    Options
    I drink about 6-8 pints of H2O a day. When i work out I usually comsume two pints and then it's about 4-6 more throughout the day. If you cut out all of those bad beverages and stick to H2O you will notice the difference in your appreance, especially in your face not being so puffy from all of the sugar. And just a rule of thumb, when you are working out vigorously, you should be seating from your wrist and if you're not then you need to consume more water. Just a suggestion. And "Songbyrdsweet" is right, your urine should be almost clear.

P.S. - i don't purchase cases of water! I usually just purchase a couple pint size bottles and fill them from home. I purchase my own purified water in a five gallon container and fill up the bottle throughout the day.:drinker:
  • amandacain1997
    amandacain1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Does drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day really make a difference???? Yes definately! I didn't really believe it either, but after starting my diet and not being as successful as I had hoped, I decided to try to drink more water. Amazingly, the pounds starting dropping right off, and amazingly I feel so much better (despite making numerous trips to the restroom). I bought a one liter water bottle, and I make it a goal to have it gone by lunchtime. I then fill it again and attempt to have it gone by my evening workout. It is an easy way to manage how much you're drinking and I found that I actually drink more than 64 ounces of water each day this way because I always have more during and after my workout and even before bed!
  • MALU6886
    Options
    oh yes water is so important! :drinker: before mfp i forced myself to drink water and mostly didn't made it! now i drink at least 8 cups but mostly iam gonna hit 14. weird is as more as i drink as thirstier i get. :drinker: one day i made 22 . the next day i was 2 lbs less:bigsmile:
    your body needs the water and there is no substitute for it . i read that the water is like lubricant for your joints. and of course as everybody knows it flushes your kidneys :happy:
    water is the key for health and being a looser yeah:tongue: when you get hungry ,drink water and than think again:bigsmile: i love water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Yup, definitely important.

Not only does it help flush out any water your body is retaining and prevent it from retaining more, it also helps to speed up your metabolism.

Studies have shown that the resting metabolic rate about 40 minutes after drinking water is as much as 30 percent higher.

Plus, a lot of people find it helps them feel full, so they don't eat as much, or give in to temptation, so that's always a bonus!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    As everyone has pointed out, water is important to your health and diet, the myth is that 8 glasses of water is what you should have as a minimum. This standard was established in 1943 and has never been updated by the medical profession since then. Your personal standard should be to drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated.

Again, as everyone has pointed out, water flushes out your system and keeps your body refreshed and free from the toxins that we pick up in our every day activities.