shocked at slimming world meals!!!!

Options

Replies

• Lebatsirk
    Lebatsirk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know SW does work for some people but I also couldn't get my head round the fact that you could supposedly eat something like a stirfry as much as you wanted and still lose weight. It just didn't make any sense. Now for all the people it does work for - good for them that's brilliant. And I do know people it has worked for. One such person though, two years on and she's put it all back on (and possibly then some). Now I've been losing much slower (over the past 18 months so far) but it's staying off, I'm not cutting any food groups out, I don't feel like I'm missing out, and I won't have to change anything when it comes to maintaining. It may be slow, but it should be lasting. My mum is on "LCHF" and lectures me about how counting calories is useless and I need to cut out carbs and eat lots more fat. Thanks, but I'll stick to what I'm doing that's working well and keeping me healthy. :smiley:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes i weighed all the raw ingredients - dont get me wrong slimming world worked for me for a while, look at my profile pic, the plan has taught me to cook from scratch, no processed foods, cook my own chips, wedges, no oven chips etc. so in that way its helped me become healthier, however!!! it does not teach portion control and completely doesnt have restrictions on "free food"

health is subjective...I do not believe that processed food is unhealthy...for example home made apple sauce is processed...is that unhealthy?

The funny thing is this..portion control is the crux of weight loss...it really is. Regardless of how you do it (counting calories, intuitive eating etc) it's all about portion control and if SW isn't teaching that...I wouldn't do it.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Weightwatchers is the same! Fruit is zero points but it is not zero calories, so the only way to have a true reflection is to count calories consumed, I have given up on gimmicks!
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who do SW and some lost a lot and some gained. I love some of the slimming world recipes and have them as meals.

I got a nasty surprise on one though as bbq pulled beef recipe a friend had it said it was for 4 people but used 2kg of beef technically the meal was all "free" food but the calories pet serving was over 1500 that's more than my daily allowance with no exercise and was only the meat part off a meal.

Having said that I still made it, split it into 8 portions which were still pretty big and had it with jacket potato and veg. It was very nice but if I'd just followed the "serves 4" idea it's potentially a 2000+ calorie meal which isn't going to help teach portion control.

• LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I actually found that I couldn't eat enough calories on SW. My activity level was pretty high (I'm currently recovering from an injury so it's less at the moment) and when I started tracking calories I realised I was eating half of what I should be. I found the free foods too filling, so I couldn't eat too many of them without feeling full and sick, and since more high calorie/low satiety foods (ie: chocolate, Nakd bars, nuts, etc.) are limited, I was typically consuming a lot less calories than I should have been. I think it is great if you have common sense about it, but it isn't going to help you if you constantly gorge on free foods.

I do love the chips, and some other recipes from them though and still use them.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So what are the "free" foods on slimming world? I think on WW it is fruits and maybe veggies, but it sounds like Slimming World has broader categories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Is a syn like a sin?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I disagree with anything that tells me wine/vodka/chocolate are syns or naughty in any way!
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I must admit, slimming world baffles me. I do know a few people that have done really well losing weight on it. Thing is, when they have a "day off" here and there, I have noticed the weight piles on quick. It doesn't teach portion control or healthy eating so when they go and eat their usual amounts in higher calorie foods, add a cake or so - you're into mega calories a day. It seems a great way of getting started though - particularly to encourage home cooking and having the support of the groups. It's a shame there isn't some sort of a staged programme with it, starting off as it is but as you go progressing to introduce things like portion control and mindful eating. With all it's flaws though, i still think its a good program - it does seem to motivate people to lose weight with a decent amount of support.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I started to look at losing weight (it all went back on again though *sigh*) I did slimming world, and lost a fair bit using it....and j reeeeally put it to the test. I was eating pasta like nobody's business, but i still managed to lose a good amount of weight doing it. It makes you consider your food choices. And also is meant to work by food optimizing (as in certain foods cannot be digested well together) so you have a red day (where you can eat meat, as long as it's very lean and all fat cut off etc, but hardly any carbs...no potatoes, pasta etc) or you have a green day (eat much brown pasta rice etc but hardly any meat) and of course lots of veggies, and most fruits.
    And the syns, you get 15 per day, which you can use towards "bad"
    Foods like chocolate or ice cream or crisps etc.

I don't get how it works, but it does if you have a lot of weight to lose for sure!!
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    I think weight watchers has some "free" foods that you can eat as many as you want.

They actually don't. In the small print in the book it says somthing about x amount of servings per day before you actually start accruing points for the "free foods" It's mostly veggies and fruits which obviously have calories and aren't "free" It's just no one ever reads. :neutral:
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hey Americans - Slimming World is the UK's version of Weight Watchers. Syns are sort of like Weight Watchers flex points. So you get so many bonus points to use throughout your week - that's how you can fit in some indulgences. Syn is just the lingo Slimming World uses.

Slimming World, like Weight Watchers, also uses the concept of "free foods" - so foods that don't cost points, that you can eat as much as you want.

It's not a terrible way to get started. I'm not super familiar with Slimming World, but Weight Watchers free foods are mostly veggies and fruits - so eating as much veggies and fruits as you want will likely help someone who has never eaten healthy before feel full and still lose weight. After a while, you may have to switch it up if it stops working.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Is a syn like a sin?

That's what it sounds like. Way to demonize food.
    Can I get a HailMary up in here?
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Slimming World is very pooular in the UK but is in America too I think. We have Weight Watchers too. Free foods include fruit and veg, pasta and potatoes. Bread or cereal and cheese is allowed but in small quantity. Syns are anything that is not included in the free foods list so oil butter chocolate etc. It does work for most but obviously the calories can soon add up. I tried it for a short time and it did work but I didn't like foods being restricted like bread and having to count normal food as a syn.
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you really need to ditch slimming world. All these sin free foods ect.
    Your better off eating healthy and counting calories
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    I think weight watchers has some "free" foods that you can eat as many as you want.

They actually don't. In the small print in the book it says somthing about x amount of servings per day before you actually start accruing points for the "free foods" It's mostly veggies and fruits which obviously have calories and aren't "free" It's just no one ever reads. :neutral:

But it's probably in the fine print because they want to highlight the eat as much as you want part...

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when SW used the red (predominantly protein) and green (predominantly carbs) books, I lost 5 stone by eating unlimited pasta dishes. I used to save my daily syns for Friday night and use them on a bottle of Bacardi. Happy days, but it taught me diddlysquat about nutrition and portion control.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    not sure what syn free is...but I eat 1800 a day and lose weight...

This, except I eat 2000 a day and lose weight.

Both of these. If I remember correctly, while in my weight loss phase I ate about 1800 net a day and lost a half pound a week.

OP, it all depends on how you spread your food throughout the day. Some people like just three meals a day, or maybe less, so the higher calorie recipes would work for them. I eat more frequent meals, with breakfast and lunch having the most calories. My diary is open- take a look. I am in maintenance, and I usually eat up to my calorie goals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    not sure what syn free is...but I eat 1800 a day and lose weight...

im talking about just 1 meal hun. 1. is over 1000 cals

But, do you understand that it all depends on how you spread out your food? 1,000 calorie meal might work for some people.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    benzieboxx wrote: »

But it's probably in the fine print because they want to highlight the eat as much as you want part...

I can only speak for my WW location. I was NEVER told I could eat as much of these as I wanted. YMMV at other locations.