Diet coke

Options
OK, I drink a lot of water but I also love a can of coke once or twice a day instead of a glass of wine. It has 1 calorie in it so why oh why do they say you must give it up and it makes you fat? I understand it cant be very healthy but just from a loosing weight point of view why does everyone say it is sooooooo bad!

Replies

• mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've heard a few things....don't know how many are scientifically true!

the caffeine can trigger hunger
    it can dehydrate you
    the "sugar" can make you crave more sugars

will be interested to hear a more scientific response!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you are going to have coke i think fat coke is best (from what i hear) I used to drink A LOT of diet coke but when i found out about all the rubbish thats in it (and the fact it can clean a penny!!) i haven't drank it in nearly 5 and half years. I do crave fizzy drinks every now and again (mainly on weekends) but i normally go for a fanta orange or schweppes lemonade, i find (not in fanta) that there are less additives in lemonade. But one diet coke every few days shouldn't hurt, if you really like it.
    I was also told that it's best to drink fizzy drinks with food rather than just on it's own as your body finds it easier to digest.

(Just my own opinion)
    Good Luck! :-)
  • helen_baird
    helen_baird Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really do not know...but I can only tell u ...I lost 5 Stones bout 7 year ago when I gave up the ciggys :smokin: put it bak on right enough! .... :frown: and I was drinking a lot, an awful lot of Diet Coke :drinker: at that time ...I believe the reason for this conception is that it contains Caffine and espertine or aspertine :huh: ..sumit like that! lol...I hope this is of some help....and good luck in finding the answer! :smile:
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I drink coke zero, zero sugar, 1 calorie. It doesn't dehydrate me, and doesn't make me need to go to the loo as often as water, still drink my 8 glases of water tho and don't drink the coke everyday
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I like DC too. Before, most of my drinks were DC, but now I have made a deal with myself. IF I have had all my water goal (8 glasses), then I can have a Diet Coke. Generally, that means I am not drinking it at lunch, but maybe 1 in the evening. I figure that is better than 2-3 DCs a day. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation.

Good luck to you!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    personally, it gave me huge headaches and made me feel really horrible/dizzy/etc.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    One can of coke won't hurt you. Just like anything, moderation works. Caffeine can make you retain water and they say aspartame will make you crave more sugars.
  • lainieg
    lainieg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My nutricianist Kelly told me that if i must have soda, drink diet. She said one can a day is fine, dont deprive yourself or you will drink a gallon instead of a can. We all know that caffine is bad for us, but most of us love what is bad for us. Lol. Good luck to you.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I DRINK 1 OR 2 DIET COKES, PLUS MY WATER, I WILL CONTINUE TO DRINK IT. IT HAS 0 EVERYTHING, EXCEPT 30 GRAMS SODIUM, BUT EVERYTHING IS TOXIC,ACCORDING TO THE MEDIA, HOT DOGS, LUNCHMEAT, COFFEE, I FIGURE A SMALL AMOUNT OF ANYTHING IS FINE, I WON'T GIVE IT UP.RED
  • SUSANB37
    SUSANB37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite thing to drink is diet coke from the fountain-not bottled or canned. I used to drink probably 5-8 of them a day. But since I have started MFP, I have cut wayyyyy back. I drink around 120 ounces of water a day so I feel good about drinking 1 or 2 of my favorite thing! :drinker:
  • ortiztin
    ortiztin Posts: 2
    Options
    It's mostly to do with the caffeine. In small quantities you can actually use it to trigger fatty acid metabolism (which usually doesn't occur until after all of your glucose is metabolized). However, in higher doses your body becomes desensitized to it and it can actually slow down your metabolism.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bump