Switching my mindset-the scale does not define me!

Options
awelch79
awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
This has been on my mind for awhile, but I didnt know how to post it without sounding like a DebbieDowner, because thats so far from the truth!

I am 5'10 and have an athletic build. According to all the charts, I should be around 167-169. Thats been my goal from day one. After having my 2nd child, I weighed in at 230. I was miserable and didnt like anything about myself. January 2010, I started my weight loss journey. I joined my local YMCA and became addicted to my group exercise classes and am proud to be one of the more advanced people in my classes and LOVING exercise--something I never did, even when I was young, thin and athletic. I dropped into the 190s and stuck, and now am there in the low 180s and stuck again! I work my tooshie off, eat well (semi-clean), stay in my calories, eat back exercise cals at least up to 1250 (sometimes it was hard to even get there) and couldnt move on the scale. Then, my scale started moving---the WRONG way! I started taking pics and comparing them and noticing I was becoming more toned and noticing a difference, but the scale was moving UP!

So...I talked to my Dr who said that while no one wants to hear it because heavy people can tend to use it as an excuse, muscle weighs more than fat and I am developing muscle. (Id agree, but HATE hearing that bc it is burned into my mind as an excuse that even I had used before). I gave her my best Bigggest Loser analogy---they are totally defined and still weigh tons less than me. Olivia, last nights winner (of course I didnt know that part at my appt last week) is one inch shorter than I am, totally RIPPED and still a handful of decades under me in weight. ...I thought my Dr might slap me. :embarassed: and then she gave me an example of a diet I would need to follow to get those results and the workout regimen to go with it. Theres no way! Once again, I let other people and TV suck me into what I am supposed to look like! Then, she opened my chart and showed me my past weights. We found that I am actually 3 lbs lighter than the time I described as when I was at my best...and a hell of a lot more fit and in pants sizes I havent seen since middle school--and Ive had two babies!

This is obviously a personal decision but I have told myself that I HAVE to be happy with how Im looking and feeling and I cannot let the scale control how I feel about all I have acccomplished. Again, a personal choice, but I am only weighing myself once a month (and thats only because I cant break the habit completely) and concentrating more on how I look and feel. I was talking to my dads girlfriend last night and told her that I dont weigh myself because I am depressed even if I see a loss. She looked at me like I was crazy (deservedly) and said "You HAVE to be happy with how you are looking, Amber!" Then, this morning, I went to my Step Class and a woman who Ive known my whole life, whose daughter was a gymnast with me, came up to me and said, "You look amazing and you are in much better shape than you were an athlete in high school. Wheres that leotard now?" At that moment, I opened my eyes to who I am and how far I have come!

We have to remember to look at the bigger picture and not let the scale control our lives!

Yep, totally easier said than done!

Replies

• cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great!
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Great post! I was thinking the same exact thing last night. Congratulations, you are doing great
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Congrats, great post, you look fantastic.

I agree go by the mirror, not the scale, since Muscle weighs more then fat.

Keep going you look awesome!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!
    I think goal weights are a little more difficult for those of us who are tall. Such a huge range!
    I see women on here 40 pounds lighter than my goal weight! And then others that look fabulous at my current weight.
    Just stay healthy and happy... all the other stuff will fall into place.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you! Congrats.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    *Round of applause*

YES YES YES - exactly everything you wrote! And your pics do look great!
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well said and I think you will find that you aren't alone in thinking that way. I currently weigh 213 pounds but am more fit and feel better than I have in years. My goal is to just be below 200 pounds for the first time in 13 years. I too let the scale define me and how could you not with so much pressure put on us about our body appearance? I've had 3 kids, am 41 years old and think I look pretty darn good!! Good luck to you ... you look awesome!
  • krisnshan
    krisnshan Posts: 41
    Options
    YOu look amazing and I had just shown my sister your pic! I was like look at this girl she's the same height as I am and has ABS! LOL : ) I had just said it is so frustrating to have the scale say one thing and my tummy doesn't look like that. Just because people are "skinny" doesn't make them healthy....I think you look awesome and are an inspiration for me, so keep up the good work!! Turn that frown upside down and look how far you have come!!
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Yup. I agree. I am in the same boat as you.....heavy for my height but no one would ever guess it, because I am full of muscle. But....I showed an almost 2.5 pound gain this morning, and even though I am pretty sure it must be TOM water, it still depresses me, and makes me think I must be doing something wrong lately, and makes me want to just give up. But I feel great otherwise. I wish I could jump on your bandwagon without looking back.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I watched the below video yesterday and read your post today. AND I TOTALLY AGREE! I felt better and looked better in clothes before I noticed the numbers on the scale... CONGRATS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ILI8_tV34o&feature=feedu
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I watched the below video yesterday and read your post today. AND I TOTALLY AGREE! I felt better and looked better in clothes before I noticed the numbers on the scale... CONGRATS!

This video is awesome - and stated exactly what I had planned to do today.....eat less today because I saw a gain on the scale this morning, even though I know it's probably not a real gain. I should know better!
  • awelch79
    Options

This video is awesome - and stated exactly what I had planned to do today.....eat less today because I saw a gain on the scale this morning, even though I know it's probably not a real gain. I should know better!

OH MY GOODNESS! Love this video...just watched it and reposted it! Thank you!!!!!
  • hrunyan
    hrunyan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I love to read them!!!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Great post! I still weigh myself but have a second way to test my progress. I have a pair of jeans that still have the tags on them that I never got to wear because shortly after I bought them I gained a good amount of weight. So I literally weigh my self once a week and then try on the jeans. At the end of the day its getting back into the jeans that I care about not what my final number is.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just got completely discouraged because of stepping ont he scale. The thing is is that I'm not sure how much I my weight was when I started and my clothes still fit (but I still fit into clothes I did 5 years ago when I KNOW I weighed less...which doesnt make sense) Either way I just weighed myself and it said a little over 240...I honestly had to hop up because 240 was enough for me to see...Hell I feel like 200 is enough for me to see because I literally had no idea I weighed that much. I got completely discouraged but I know I cannot stop working. Sometimes I slack on my calorie counting but I know I'm not going over my goal of 1200...and sometimes I am way under 1200...I just can't get this whole diet and excersize thing right!

I too try not to let the scale define me which is why I dont own one and why I try not to look at it when I go to the doctor...I never used to work out and now I try to work out (Zumba on Wii...P90x....Rollerblading...basketball) between 4-5 times a week and I am seeing a difference in my body but that damn scale just put me in my place and made me feel like crap AGAIN....I hope everything works itself out soon and it becomes a little easier...
  • awelch79
    Options
    Great post! I still weigh myself but have a second way to test my progress. I have a pair of jeans that still have the tags on them that I never got to wear because shortly after I bought them I gained a good amount of weight. So I literally weigh my self once a week and then try on the jeans. At the end of the day its getting back into the jeans that I care about not what my final number is.

thats a great idea! i should go to goodwill & get a pair of "motivation pants!" :happy:
  • Shannibal
    Shannibal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!

I only use the scale as a way to update my goals on MFP. That is it. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!