Only four weeks in and I feel like I've stalled - what am I doing wrong?

Options
After numerous false starts, I started on MFP on May 15th. I have a lot (100lb+) to lose so I set my initial weekly goal at 2lb/week which has given me an MFP calorie goal of 1,380 per day.

I am very strict with tracking and weigh and measure almost everything (like, everything except lettuce) and try and stick to around 1,200-1,250. I don't feel hungry or like I'm missing out.

The food I eat is well rounded, although occasionally a little high in fat.
I try to keep an eye on my sodium and keep it around 1,500mg per day, although some days are better than others.
I've gone from being completely sedentary to having gone to the gym six days a week for the last four weeks - 40 mins treadmill at 3.4mph and 20-30 mins weights (slowly building up weight amounts, currently 25lb for arms and 50lb for legs and core).

After a large (mostly water) loss of 12.2lb the first week I've had diminishing returns - 3lb, 2lb, and then 1lb this morning.

I'm realistic about how long it will take me to lose this weight but I didn't expect things to slow down so quickly.

Based on this, is there something obvious that I am doing wrong? I've failed so many times in the past and I really want to stick with this but this slowdown so early on is discouraging.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear.

You just started exercising which causes water retention and stores of glycogen to mask weight loss.

No reason to be discouraged...you didn't gain.

And as long as you are positive you are logging accurately, which means weighing solids/measuring liquids and choosing correct entries it's all good just keep going.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you should just keep doing what you're doing. Weight loss won't be linear and you could be retaining water from your new exercise routine, for example.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You've lost 18 pounds in 4 weeks! That's amazing!

Weight loss isn't going to be linear, even if you have a lot of weight to lose. If you would like some specific advice on your diet/logging, you could try opening your diary -- but it sounds like you're doing a great job.
  • TeresaMarie2015
    TeresaMarie2015 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started early this year with 100+ to lose as well.
    I hit the gym, I track my food, I do all the things that I should be doing.
    I weigh once a week - and the number is what the number is.
    Down is good, flat is good. Up is bad.

As long as you can get to the end of the day or week and say that you did everything you could relative to healthy choices. Don't worry about the number on the scale, it will take care of itself.

Hang in there.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    So, that's 18 lbs. lost over the past 4 weeks? And your calorie goal is based on 2 lbs. per week? You've lost 10 lbs. more than expected - if you don't lose for the next 5 weeks, you're still at goal. Keep doing what you're doing and let us know if you fail to lose in the 6th week. Congratulations on your awesome loss so far.
  • SweetTea_Mama
    SweetTea_Mama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been there !! Take a look online for the Wendie plan...or something similar. The idea behind it is that you do not eat same # of calories each day. Instead, to keep your metabolism burning at its max and not make it shut down because it thinks you are starving it, you eat higher calorie days and lower calorie days -- you mix it up. Since I've done this, no plateaus unless it's monthly water retention, alcohol related water retention, or sodium related water retention. So for example, I weigh myself every Monday morning. MFP says i should eat 1200cal/day. Monday eat over my daily limit that day. Tuesday, I eat at or under my 1200. Wednesday I eat over 1200. Thursday I eat at or under 1200. Friday or Saturday I eat over my limit (not both days) and Sunday I eat under. So, some days I may eat 1500 calories, but the weekly total isn't more than it is supposed to be. I never feel deprived, and my body doesn't shut down my metabolism. Good luck!!
  • LRWSSuccess
    LRWSSuccess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know weight loss isn't linear, I just thought the first few months I would be able to keep around the 2lb/week mark. I didn't know that exercising causes water retention - does that go away eventually, or should I be doing something to diminish that? I drink 72-96oz of water a day (no soda, tea or coffee).

I know 18lb is terrific but I don't feel like much of that was actual weight loss, more just a ~de-bloating.

I've made my diary public if that helps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    rennasmom wrote: »
    I have been there !! Take a look online for the Wendie plan...or something similar. The idea behind it is that you do not eat same # of calories each day. Instead, to keep your metabolism burning at its max and not make it shut down because it thinks you are starving it, you eat higher calorie days and lower calorie days -- you mix it up. Since I've done this, no plateaus unless it's monthly water retention, alcohol related water retention, or sodium related water retention. So for example, I weigh myself every Monday morning. MFP says i should eat 1200cal/day. Monday eat over my daily limit that day. Tuesday, I eat at or under my 1200. Wednesday I eat over 1200. Thursday I eat at or under 1200. Friday or Saturday I eat over my limit (not both days) and Sunday I eat under. So, some days I may eat 1500 calories, but the weekly total isn't more than it is supposed to be. I never feel deprived, and my body doesn't shut down my metabolism. Good luck!!

Your body doesn't shut down your metabolism until you die. And many people follow a weekly goal instead of daily.

OP, you're losing, so you're doing things right. You won't consistently lose at 2 pounds a week...some will be less, some will be none or even a gain. Congratulations on the loss so far!
  • SweetTea_Mama
    SweetTea_Mama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Google "zig zag calorie counter" -- this helped me plan my week, mixing up the calories
  • LRWSSuccess
    LRWSSuccess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One more thing (sorry, I should have mentioned this in the original post). I am not eating back my exercise calories so net I am under 1,200 most days. Could that be a problem? Should I eat back my exercise or raise my calorie intake so that the net remains above 1,200?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't a linear function...you don't lose exactly X Lbs per week...you will have weeks with bigger losses, weeks with smaller losses, weeks with no loss, weeks with some gain from water, etc...you need to look at the overall trend over a much longer period of time and then you will see it average out; it's really not a week to week numbers thing.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    How long do you think you can keep this up - with 100 lbs to lose and netting under 1200 per day, you are setting yourself up for failure and a lot of muscle mass loss........ Eat more - the scale might move a little slower, but you will lose less muscle and keep it off easier....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know weight loss isn't linear, I just thought the first few months I would be able to keep around the 2lb/week mark. I didn't know that exercising causes water retention - does that go away eventually, or should I be doing something to diminish that? I drink 72-96oz of water a day (no soda, tea or coffee).

I know 18lb is terrific but I don't feel like much of that was actual weight loss, more just a ~de-bloating.

I've made my diary public if that helps.

Yes it does...but don't weigh after a workout day...as there is always water/glycogen after exercise it just doesn't stick around as long.

Make sure you are drinking water/liquids

as for your diary my only suggestions weigh all solids in grams (including veggies/fruits) no more cups etc.

Eat back some of your exercise calories to ensure you are netting 1200 a day and make sure you are getting in enough protein so you aren't losing muscle mass along with fat.