Cycling to lose weight

Options
Is there anyone out there that bikes to lose weight?? So far I have lost 35 pounds by biking (and eating healthier). Looking for tips or friends to add me for encouragement. I Love biking and feel that it has truly changed my life. I recently started C25K and was amazed how much biking had changed my body, I've always hated running but now it's semi-enjoyable and I look forward to it :) I'd love some friends that enjoy biking as much as I do!!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I cycle ... not as much now as I used to, but I'm building up again. :)

I did my first 100 km ride in several months last weekend, with hopes for more in the near future.

And when I was cycling about 10,000 km/year, I struggled to keep the weight on. I was either underweight or borderline underweight. I'm not cycling that much these days, but it certainly helped me keep the weight off for quite a few years.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just got back into cycling a couple of weeks ago after a 2 year lapse. I found a used Koga road bike for sale and it was the stimulus I needed to get me on the road again. Biking is great for your health, burns lots of calories and is fun!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    @brocantrs. The bike is beautiful. Bet it cost more than my car? lol
  • startrekkermd
    startrekkermd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just got back into cycling after ...we'll probably since I was a teenager. Was a way to spend time with my dad at first, but now I look forward to my 15k ride. Feel free to add me :)
  • cherub14
    cherub14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a mountain bike, we go trail riding on the weekends. I ABSOLUTELY love being outdoors and away from my busy life. Even before I began using MFP, we were increasing our fitness level by riding. I have an $80.00 Huffy from Target, had it for 3 years. The endurance you build from biking will help you with the C25K.
  • LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I just got into riding this year. I am only a commuter rider at this point and have an adorable Linus Dutchi that tools along pretty nicely. I was originally thinking that I didn't want a real "racing" bike but now that I am getting used to biking again, I kind of find I have a need for more speed.... I find that I can easily burn 500 calories on my bike in less than an hour at a moderate 12-14 mph pace.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Got back into cycling 6 months ago after being away since college. I'm not riding as much as I'd like to because I've incorporated p90x into my workout schedule. On weekends, I try to ride around 25 miles per day and my goal is to go just a bit faster (on the flats) and just a bit further on the hills.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    @brocantrs. The bike is beautiful. Bet it cost more than my car? lol

Actually, it only cost me $320. It was a deal that I couldn't pass up. I was previously biking about 22 miles 3-4 times a week. I hope to match that in the next month (hopefully).
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've lost about 90 lbs since 2011. MFP and cycling. If you want friends to ride with, try looking up a local cycling club. meetup.com, strava, facebook are good sources to find groups that ride in your area and that are a match for your riding style (e.g., casual, racing, mtb, etc.)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I loss 40lbs in the last 12 months from cycling. I'm doing over 600 miles a month now. Personally I find this and all other online forum the worst avenue for encouragement and support. There is a monthly thread, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177697/june-2015-bike-bicycle-cycling-challenge and http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain if you are interested. Like dimoul advised, find a local club. There is nothing like a group ride to get one fired up. Also you be amazed by what you can pickup from face to face as opposed to texts; it's always good to have a third eye. Good luck and keep the miles rolling on the bike. I hate running.
  • jenniferki
    jenniferki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would love to get into biking, I have a trek bike but don't ride often, I was more of a runner but I have injured myself running so I am considering riding more. I would love encouragement ! Need to lose around 15lbs too!
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I ADORE cycling! I'm 50lbs down and 100% happier from it :)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I mountain bike for fun and for damage control after my binge eating. Since i have a rod and screws in my Tibia from my ankle to my knee, high impact cardio like running can be painful sometimes so mountain bike riding is perfect. The downhill sections are the reward for the cardio climb... :wink:
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just recently got back on my bike after a 9 year hiatus. I have been riding a lot and even started commuting to work (about 11 miles each way). My favorite thing is how well I am able to breathe now. The weight will come off as it comes off, but my endurance is worlds away from just a few months ago. It's a nice feeling.