housework!

Options
How do you include housework in the diary? It should be under cardio I'm assuming....im sureni burnt calories in 4 hours!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's included in your daily activities, so it shouldn't be logged. Only physical exercise should be logged.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Agree with malibu. If you did housework while reaching the point that you decided you need to lose weight, then counting the calories burned from housework now would not be accurate.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you are marked as sedentary then it might be a good idea to count it. Especially four hours.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Very carefully. When you start counting your normal daily activities as cardio, it can be a slippery slope that can really defeat your weight loss goals. If you plan to do this, you may want to consider a Fitbit or something that can track your expenditures for you. However, to answer your original question, I believe there is an entry for housework under cardio.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It would have to be something above and beyond normal every day living imo.
  • jhaciski
    jhaciski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should be able to find options for "cleaning" under cardio exercises. But I agree with the previous posters - you really only want to add the housework that's more than your daily routine. Otherwise, you're over-counting the calorie burn.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was not aware of this.... I was counting it and doing the recommended balanced diet from my doctor, and I lost 24 pounds. I lost motivation for a while, but I'm back on track!
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Maybe if it was spring cleaning and you were moving all the furniture around. I've done a 5 hr day like that and sweated the whole time, but didn't record it. The only exercise I record is long walks, running, exercise videos etc. not worth recording and have it bite you in the scale later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    when I did MFP, I just set my activity level to light active because even though I have a desk job, there's always daily chores around the house and yard that need to be done...just included that in my activity level. I occasionally have a big yard landscaping project to do, but I generally just chalk that up to owing myself an extra beer or two when I'm done.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    unless you're cleaning a house like "I'm moving and I have to clean"
    I wouldn't log it.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There is something under cardio for housecleaning, cooking and even playing the guitar. :s

The only time I log housecleaning is when I am cleaning and packing for moving for an extended period of time (1+ hours) and even then I cut the calories given to me by MFP in half.

I don't log cooking or playing my musical instruments. That's just bull.