UK people :) slimming world?

Options
Hi guys just wondering whether any of you have tried slimming world and if u recommend it? I don't know much about it and was just wondering whether it's worth a go?

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I joined Slimming World 5 years ago, and lost 5 stone. The first 4 was following SW and some exercise at home. Then I maintained for a while, got a lot more into exercise and joined a gym. The last stone was a combination of SW and exercise. I have maintained the loss. I don't attend meetings anymore ( time more than anything!), though I did for quite a long time, but I still follow the guidelines though I look at calories more than just syns.
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, but even following the "rules" you can still log way over your maintenance calories without even realising it. I know people who have lost loads of weight with slimming world and I also know people who have gained weight following the plan.

The way it works is that you are supposed to make sure at least a third of all you eat are super speed foods which fills you up with relatively low calorie foods. Unfortunately if you have no potion control or just don't use common sense it's useless. One example is muller light yoghurt, some of them are sin free meaning you can in theory easy as many as you want. But they are 99 calories each so if you eat 10 of them (which I've been know to do) that's pretty much a 1000 calories, which is pretty high.

It's not bad for giving you an idea of what healthy food is compared to junk food, which is useful, and for a lot of people it does work. The support system is really good, most of the people who go are really nice and are usually a good source of healthy recipes. Just be careful that you don't go overboard on the syn free food.

For me personally I'm better off calorie counting, I still go over but at least I know where the calories are going and how much I've overdone it

Good luck and hope you are happy with whatever you decide.
  • robyngrant739
    robyngrant739 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) not sure what I'm going to do yet just looking in to it as I eat a lot of the same food most of the time and it's boring
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The slimming world chips are tremendous. Low fat and tasty as hell.

it's good if you need the support network to help with motivation but otherwise I wouldn't bother. I've found this community On MFP more inspiring and helpful.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys just wondering whether any of you have tried slimming world and if u recommend it? I don't know much about it and was just wondering whether it's worth a go?

What's wrong with MFP?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

What's wrong with MFP?

it's virtual, SW involves actual people in a real world contact situation and it's a supportive from what I hear.
  • wintersyve
    wintersyve Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did SW a few years back and lost 2.5 St and then maintained for a while without attending. It helped but for me the weight came off slow (prob because I only had 2.5st to lose) and j learned nothing about portion control.
    Now CC'ing find the foods I eat much more varied and I can have packaged food on busy days and still stay within my cal count. I find I have much more freedom and variety doing it this way. I have a couple of friends who I weigh in with every week so I am still held accountable.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    im at sw, i lost 2.5 stone on it but now have hit a brick wall, so ive come to calorie counting - last week i lost 2.5lbs on a 1.5lbs allowance but! i also followed sw lol, im taking the advice for meals, and cooking for scratch and the low syn snacks and just entering the calories on here, im finding that before i was eating what was a syn free dessert to it actually turning out to be 250 calories!!!! for a syn free dessert, one of them everynight no wonder i was maintaining! lol
  • robyngrant739
    robyngrant739 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys will look in to it :)