So mad with myself!

Options
I've just been swimming, I swam for an hour which MFP says is 755 calories. But when I got out I got a bit shaky so ended up eating 2 packets of crisps and a snickers! Probably just undone all that hard work!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    1. It's doubtful that swimming for an hour (even strenuously) burns 755 calories...MFP calorie burn estimates are notoriously overstated
    2. Depending on how much you're eating the rest of the day, it's not necessarily true you undid all your hard work. Exercising requires fuel - you can't expect to run on nothing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Even if you eat the calories back, your body and mind still benefit from fitness. Log the food and see if you can make a plan to avoid feeling shaky after workouts in the future (maybe have a light snack beforehand).

Also, I'm not a swimmer, but 755 sounds like a really high burn for an hour of swimming. MFP over-estimates the calorie burn for many activities. This is something to consider if you are eating your exercise calories back.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So next time you'll know to take a banana or something with you. Take it as a lesson and move on.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    well done for possibly burning that many calories. you cna do it again though on another day.
    Sickers is c 250 + a bag of crisps c 100-180-240.

Positives
    1. You learned how you cna absent mindely snack your way out= avoid in fuure.
    2. You now have had your treat for the day and the calories consumed will get you a little further along in terms of energy requirement.
    3. You are a litle bit fitter.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe the 755 calories. Maybe half that, so yeah, it seems like you ate back all the calories you burned. But on the bright side, you got to eat a snickers without gaining weight.
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try to eat something to fuel up an hour or so before your swim and you'll be less tempted to eat afterwards. Don't be so hard on yourself, you could have just as easily eaten the Snickers and not swam at all. While you may have eaten back your calories, at least you got in some great exercise and fired up your metabolism. Nothing wrong with that!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    as a general rule, I always try to fuel my workout an hour before hand. if that isn't going to be possible I keep a few "energy" bars in my bag to help me out if I Bonk. just forgive yourself, and do it better the next time... in the scheme of things... one day and a bag of crips... is not going to ruin your good work.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    But on the bright side, you got to eat a snickers without gaining weight.
    And that's what it's all about. :)

• belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    yeah I always cut the MFP burn by half. or enter my time in half of what I really did. but you did work your muscles which increases metabolism for hours. I'm always starving after swimming. if the water was cold, you burn even more calories. pack a fruit next time and like the other poster said, the mental benefit is awesome, don't feel bad!
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i have never been able to stay in the pool swimming for a full hour (as an adult) so i kudos to you for that.
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself! If your best friend told you that story, what would you tell your friend? Be your own best friend!
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    a workout is never undone, you might not lose weight but at least you got your workout in. now you know you need to bring a better snack. dont beat yourself up over it
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know MFP can overestimate which is why I don't normally eat all of my exercise calories back. I will definitely learn from this and take a healthy snack next time! There should be fruit vending machines instead of chocolate ones!

Pity I'm already having homemade pie heavy I'm calories tonight!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it. you did it. and now it's done.
    be more prepared next time.
    food is not bad. food is a neutral thing that our bodies need.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Ah we all do that now and again, it's annoying but you've learnt now!! Can you just have pie filling on some veggies and skip the pastry? That might help with the calories a bit :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That burn is too high. It's over, log it and move on.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    But, when you move on, remember how you feel about the situation. That might help next time.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe the 755 calories. Maybe half that, so yeah, it seems like you ate back all the calories you burned. But on the bright side, you got to eat a snickers without gaining weight.

That right there is at least half the reason I exercise. Yeah it's good my heart and all that, but really it's all about the chocolate.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Don't feel sad about it!
    Actually, calorie-wise fast breaststroke for an hour might actually burn close to 500kcal for us ladies, depending on weight and size. Crawl burns less, but I'm a breaststroke gal anyway.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But, when you move on, remember how you feel about the situation. That might help next time.

This is good advice.

I know from experience that swimming tends to make me hungry, much more than other activities (even those that burn more calories), so I tend to swim not long before a meal or have a planned snack after (protein bar or something else I was planning to eat anyway).