Rock Climbing

Options
So I've been indoor top rope climbing about 10 months now, but I'm interested in outdoor climbing soon. Hopefully once I can do 5.10, since I'm working on 5.9 now. Any tips for how to get starting with outdoor climbing?

Replies

• Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Do you boulder at all? Outdoor bouldering is easier to get into than top rope climbing, just because you don't have to have a bunch of equipment (ropes, quick draws, etc). If you can find a climbing club in your area or some friends who outdoor climb, that's probably your best bet for top rope climbing.

If you're willing to boulder while you look for friends, that'd be a great way to get your hands in shape. Climbing outdoors is a LOT different than using a climbing wall with preset holds, regardless of how tiny and ridiculous the holds are (I'm so not good at tiny fingertip holds, I may be slightly resentful of how they make my hands feel ;)) You'll definitely need to build new calluses on your fingers for outdoor climbing.

Good luck! I love being able to be outside for climbing. Just don't forget your sunblock! It is weird only getting burned on your back :)
  • sassysue777
    sassysue777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you get into rock climbing? I've been interested in starting to rock climbing but I don't know how to and I don't know where to go to learn