Ugh. My workout sucked this morning!

Options
I tried the "burn calories" option on the treadmill instead of manuel. It asked for my max inclince and mph. Since I didn't know how they switched it up, I went on the low side, 3.3 mph and only 6.0 incline. After 30 min I only burned 170 calories! Yesterday I did my own interval on the treadmill using a higher incline and only a 3.0 mph. I burned 230 calories!

Oh well, I know better for tomorrow I guess. To get max calorie burn, is it better to set a higher incline or a higher mph? Or switch back and forth?

Replies

• codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Higher mph for more calorie burn.
  • the_ratman79
    Options
    alternation is the key. i would do higher incline stuff as a static exercise but REALLY push it, and then on a flat surface go for fast sprints for a minute then slow to a walk for a minute. try that for a couple of weeks that should really shift some calories!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I always felt the treadmill was easier if I did intervals. I would select the hill workout and try to run the low hills and flats and walk for the steep inclines. it made the work out go by faster.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    intervals are always good! :)
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    intervals are always good! :)

Totally agree with you ;)
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, had you stayed in bed you would have burned 0 calories, so, it was better than that option. =D Sometimes we have to do something new a little less strenuous to get used to it. Now you know.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    alternation is the key. i would do higher incline stuff as a static exercise but REALLY push it, and then on a flat surface go for fast sprints for a minute then slow to a walk for a minute. try that for a couple of weeks that should really shift some calories!

I agree with this. When I do inclines I go up to 15 and really push myself to go as fast as possible...it's a great workout I usually burn 500 cal in 40 min plus it really works the glutes!
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I agree with this. When I do inclines I go up to 15 and really push myself to go as fast as possible...it's a great workout I usually burn 500 cal in 40 min plus it really works the glutes!

So, when you go that high on the incline, do you then lower your mph? I don't think I can walk at a high mph AND incline at the same time.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    That's why I always go manual on the treadmills. Otherwise it slows down entirely too soon for the cool down and to an entirely too low speed.
  • the_ratman79
    Options
    no don't go fast on the incline, well it depends how steep it is!!! if it's only a few inches off the ground then peg it, if it's proper steep then a really fast walk otherwise you'll probably fall off!!! ; )