Weight watchers

Options
thinking about starting weight watchers. Wondering how easy is it to figure out points. I just got my calculator.

Replies

• NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was a weight watchers gal. Found the points system really easy :) especially with a calculator.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why not just use myfitnesspal and track your calories? That way you don't need to worry about points or converting or anything.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    MFP> WW, cut out the middle man
  • Christafilbeck
    Christafilbeck Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm doing both. The people I work with are all starting weight watchers. It just something I'm going to do with my friends
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Back in 1982 I lost 130 lbs. on Weight Watchers. I probably would have joined again but I can't afford it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just don't think you can eat "unlimited" fruit. People on WW have posted on here before about that.
  • bkscott5
    bkscott5 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have done WW 3 times, I actually just do the free sign up & get all the books and info and do it myself since I didn't have money to go all the time. Usually I could only lose 20 out of 30-35lbs. Did keep the 20lbs off for a few months one time. Last time I was doing it they changed the point system & people were complaining they weren't losing weight. I actually found MFP when I was trying to get nutritional info for a food. So I started doing both but found it was easier to do MFP. I've been here for over 700 days, my tracker is off cuz I restarted my weight at one point but I went from a size 14 to a size 6. So if doing both helps you stick to eating less u can do them together, it's just more work for u. But if u stop one I'd stick with MFP. I wish I had this 18 yrs ago. Good luck!
  • Christafilbeck
    Options
    Thank you that is useful information. I'm a size 14. I want to get down to a size 6. I'm not eating that much fruit. It don't make sense to eat high glycemic index foods. I just started. Today is day 3
  • ParisPrincesse
    ParisPrincesse Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have done WW for 12 yrs & lost 50 PDs. I started with meetings & switched to online. I have been thinking about quitting & doing MFP full time, but when I do I can't get myself to quit WW, because it works. :)
  • Christafilbeck
    Options
    This is day 4. Trying very hard to stay on point.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are you avoiding your 49?
    Don't.
    It will be much easier if you use them - All if you can, some if you can't, but use them.
  • Bjoyz
    Bjoyz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started WW a month ago and have already lost 8 lbs. I've been on MFP for years and never had that success. If you need support, add me and we can encourage each other.
  • Sirius_12
    Sirius_12 Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It varies a bit depending on the nutritional makeup of the food, but roughly a point is equal to forty calories. They have a great database listing the points-plus values of thousands of foods. WW gives you something nothing online can do - true accountability. You are more likely to stay on track if you have to face that scale every week, and a roomful of people. Of course, MFP has an advantage over WW. It is free, while WW is quite expensive.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers for a long time before switching to calorie counting. I liked it, and was successful with it, but after having switched to calorie counting and getting a better idea of my intake macros and micros, I feel I'm better off. For example, having a high sodium intake can mask weight loss. Additionally, having too little potassium can be problematic for organ health and function. These were things that i couldn't easily track using ww's journal.

I'd imagine the meetings are good resources. I didn't go to them after my first month, and did the program online only. It made no sense to pay $20 a month to use their software when mfp does it free. Heck, even fitbit has a food journal module, but theirs doesn't track micronutrients.
  • Bjoyz
    Bjoyz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think I've been more motivated to stick with the program because I'm paying for it. I want to get my money's worth. That being said, I do get a discount for WW through insurance and that's really nice.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I did WW for several years, and achieved Lifetime status. Then I had an intervening illness that sapped my energy and threw me in a spiral. When I started gaining weight back, I went back, but found the whole deal irritating. The doors did not open until 20 minutes before the meeting, and there was always a big line of people. The folks doing the weigh-ins had to be chatty, and by the time the meeting started, folks were still weighing in. By the time the last person weighed in, the meeting was nearly over. Wasn't worth the time or aggravation for me.

I've been seeing a nutritionist monthly and using MFP. That works just fine.