Six week plateau...BUSTED! Yay!

Options
melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
Let me start off by saying I am 5'7" and started MFP in February at 175. I was eating 1200 calories a day and lost weight fast. I had MFP set for a rapid weight loss because I thought, who wants to lose weight slowly? Not me! I ate some exercise calories back, but net calories brought me to between 1100-1200 calories/day. I was losing between 1 and 2 pounds per week, cruising right along, until the end of March/beginning of April. Then the plateau started where I bounced around between 159-161 pounds (I weigh daily). After three weeks of no scale movement (or inches) I decided to up my calories. After reading these message boards and researching plateaus online, I realized I wasn't eating enough. I am now a believer that you must eat to lose!

After three weeks of eating 1450 calories a day (net) and eating back exercise calories, the scale started moving again. I probably screwed up my metabolism a bit by eating too few calories. I am now losing about 0.5 pounds/week which is probably about right as I have about 13 pounds until goal. I didn't want to believe that I had to readjust and lose slowly in the final stretch but it is true. I have accepted that there is no way I will lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks anymore and I am just thrilled the scale seems to be moving again.

So for my fellow plateau sufferers, be patient and make sure you are eating enough!

Replies

• Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi Melsinct. I'm @ ~225 and bouncing. I'm still in "obsese" territory - with a GW of 150. My question is, when does the "final stretch" start? When out of the "over weight" category? I'm still shooting for 1100 cal/day, but have been bouncing for a week.
  • amanda07425
    amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    awesome post! I am the same height and starting weight as you pretty much and I am currently in a plateau for about two weeks. I lost 6 lbs fast but am now currently stuck! I increased my calories to 1400 yesterday so I'm hoping this does the trick as well!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    trying to figure out your name... are you from CT?
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi Melsinct. I'm @ ~225 and bouncing. I'm still in "obsese" territory - with a GW of 150. My question is, when does the "final stretch" start? When out of the "over weight" category? I'm still shooting for 1100 cal/day, but have been bouncing for a week.

1100 calories a day is too low! Try to eat at LEAST 1200 calories a day NET. So if you burn 200 calories a day you should try to eat 1400 calories total for the day if you base is 1200.
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    That's great, going to send friend request, you may be able to help me through my plateau!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I am...Mels in CT!

I realize I was eating *way* too little, which is why I wanted to share my experience and encourage others to EAT. It sounded counterproductive to me, and I know it does to others too as I look through the message boards. I was too eager to drop pounds quickly.

As for the final stretch of weight loss...from what I have read, many people struggle with the last 10 pounds. It is at that point that you usually have to readjust expectations and rather than having MFP set at a pound a week you may have to settle for losing 0.5/week. When you are heavier and in the overweight/obese range, the weight comes off much easier. I have now entered "normal" BMI territory which is when everything came to a grinding halt for me. Your miles may vary, but what has happened to me in regards to weight loss slowing is in line with what I have read from others on MFP and various articles online.

Good luck to all of you who are stuck, I know the feeling!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Mel

I am in the same boat and the same height as you, You posted on a thread I posted about Carbs. So
    Net calories need to be high in order to lose? Maybe we can be friends on here and you may have some advise i can use?
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    Hi Mel, I'm really glad you've found what works for you. I understand the whole needing calories and people saying you should eat back your exercise calories. Don't you think that's just too much? My usual burn a day is 1000+ calories a day, there's no way I can eat another 1000 calories a day. I do try keeping my net calories at 1200 or more, but as for eating all my exercise calories back, I can't do it! Do you have any advice on this or do you think what I'm doing would be ok? Thanks! I also am going to add you as a friend maybe you can keep me motivated.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I am...Mels in CT!

me too!
  • sunbedsally
    sunbedsally Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6"" and weigh 180 pounds after losing 15 since January 1st. Scales are stuck stuck stuck. MFP set to lose 1 pound per week. My calorie allowance is 1340. Over the last month I have been jogging or walking most dats and eat my exercise calories on top and usually eat just under my target on weekdays and at weekends more(altho I step up excersise to allow for extra input)
    Very despondent to be very food focussed and pavement pounding at 5 miles per day and not losing. Please someone help me! I would like to lose another 14 before my hols in august
  • frats
    frats Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I started in January at 164 lbs and have been stuck around 145/146 for the last few weeks. After exercising I get an extra 400-500 calories. Even though at the end of the day I am usually a couple of hundred calories below, I don't feel hungry enough through the day to eat more.

What did you eat to increase your calories?
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    the final stretch is probobly the lat 10-20 lbs. When you are within normal range usually. Keep going!
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good for you =)

I have been stuck since March! Really ever since I was moved to 1200,its been really slow. Reading the boards and other successes with people upping their calories,I finally did that the beginning of this month. First two weeks to 1350..nothing. These last two weeks,1400 plus my exercise calories(always eat my exercise calories). I believe it was Sunday,I lost my first lb. Weighed in today,same weight as last time. So I weighed again 2 lbs down. Double and tripled checked to make sure it stuck,and it did. So 3 lbs down finally after a 2 month stall. Wooo,lol.

But glad its working out for you too. Who knew you had to eat more.
  • monky13grl
    monky13grl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me this week. I actually started eating my excercise calories... big difference. I am now 4 lbs from my goal. I've decided that when I hit it, I will change my loss goal to .5 lbs a week instead of 1lb per week. I know that no one wants to lose slowly but I really do think it wins the race! Not to mention, I think it will stay off if I do it the right way and work really hard for it :). Good luck and keep it up!
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, stayed the same weight for 3weeks (start weight was 149lbs) stayed at 144.2 for 3 weeks - I was so down that I thought SOD IT......and Started eating MORE (I have 1000 - 1200kcals a day and uped it to 1300 some days, 1400 others, some days at 1500, 1100 on others....)

Over the past 3 weeks I've lost 5lbs and down to 139lbs so I'm well happy!!!!

I only have 7lbs to my "goal weight" and my BMI is 21 now so I'm expecting it to come off slower and slower

All I do is zig zag my eating, walk every day/every other day and swim once a week (when i can be bothered)

Good luck to anyone stuck on a Plateau! Keep in there!
  • sunbedsally
    sunbedsally Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After posting yesterday saying I am stuck, my weigh in this morning showed a 3lb loss??? Thrilled of course. I hadn't moved for 3 weeks. I weigh daily but only count it on Saturday morning.
    Does anyone find that their results reflect activity and food of a week or so ago rather than this week. My hubby went away for a week returning last Saturday, whilst on my own I ran or walked every single day and ate really healthily so I was upset to find it hadn't budged anything. So maybe today's loss is the result of that week
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i am so glad to hear this method actually worked for someone! i've been stuck for the last month or so and was really thinking that i'd lost all the weight i was going to lose. i had several people tell me to adjust my calories to be taking in more but didn't see how that would possibly cause me to lose more. just started the increased intake yesterday so now i'm determined to stick with it. thank you for sharing your success and good luck!!
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thank you for this post!! sounds suspiciously like my scale situation the past few weeks. I am bumping up my cals for sure!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm happy not to be the only one in this boat! I started at 1200 cals/day and dropped 5lb in the first week and a half, but then only 1lb in the past 3 weeks....and sometimes it comes back. I just bumped my cals to 1300 yesterday, so hopefully my weight starts dropping again, even if it's slowly :)
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying I am 5'7" and started MFP in February at 175. I was eating 1200 calories a day and lost weight fast. I had MFP set for a rapid weight loss because I thought, who wants to lose weight slowly? Not me! I ate some exercise calories back, but net calories brought me to between 1100-1200 calories/day. I was losing between 1 and 2 pounds per week, cruising right along, until the end of March/beginning of April. Then the plateau started where I bounced around between 159-161 pounds (I weigh daily). After three weeks of no scale movement (or inches) I decided to up my calories. After reading these message boards and researching plateaus online, I realized I wasn't eating enough. I am now a believer that you must eat to lose!

After three weeks of eating 1450 calories a day (net) and eating back exercise calories, the scale started moving again. I probably screwed up my metabolism a bit by eating too few calories. I am now losing about 0.5 pounds/week which is probably about right as I have about 13 pounds until goal. I didn't want to believe that I had to readjust and lose slowly in the final stretch but it is true. I have accepted that there is no way I will lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks anymore and I am just thrilled the scale seems to be moving again.

So for my fellow plateau sufferers, be patient and make sure you are eating enough!

I just up'ed my cals from 1200 to 1500 this morning and then I found your blog post!! Hope this works! :happy: