Low cal and/or healthy desserts - I need suggestions!

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Black Bean brownie. Still gotta watch the calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi there.
    I'm turning 23 this summer, and I weighed in at 97.9 kilos when I last weighed myself, which is a lot for my 172 cm. Having lived with my mother all my life, I've not been allowed to diet or exercise, so I am starting up now (or a few months ago). I live with my father now, who is very supportive of my desire to lose weight (and maintain it), but we have a tradition of enjoying something sweet once a week. And, I am looking for a more low-cal treat, or at least a healthier treat than your regular bit of ice-cream.
    What are your ideas?
    I've already suggested fruit-salad to my dad, but his response is usually "I grew up being force-fed with fresh fruit and berries, I've had enough of it"
    If you are going to tell me to maybe not treat myself so often, I don't want to hear it. I am not aiming for quick weightloss, I am aiming for a healthier lifestyle than the one I've been forced to lead, and the chance to make my own choices.

Feel free to spam this with your ideas, I want to hear all of them. But I'm a pescatarian, working to become vegetarian, so please, no jokes about chocolate-dipped bacon. :s

Fudgesicles are 40 calories each, can't beat that.

I'd also recommend my favorite treat: Breyers Blasts, they range from 120-170 calories per half cup. I've tried like 3 different kind and they're all amazing. I'm thinking Fudge Brownie this weekend
  • KDuvall235
    KDuvall235 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have this recipe for brownies with the main ingredients being black beans, and they are delish! I will figure out how to send the link if you're interested :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    there is nothing unhealthy about ice cream if you have it now and then
    I sometimes eat sugar free pudding with whip cream mixed in. so it's more like a mousse
    blended frozen bananas are supposed to be good

fruit and whip cream isn't bad. whip cream is low calorie if you are careful with the amount

I often will have a bowl of cereal

sorbets are a slightly healthier than ice cream

skinny taste has good recipes for this sort of thing. there are peanut butter bites that look delicious

I do not recall seeing sugar free pudding, but that sounds absolutely delicious, especially as my thoughts can't help but wander back to chocolate.

I have to stay away from cereal and muesli (never been one to eat actual cereal), that is a total trigger food for a lot of my binging.

But, I shall take a look at skinny taste to see what recipes they have. Thanks for the input!

aggelikik wrote: »
    A scoop of ice cream is both relatively healthy and low calorie when it comes to desserts, so I woudl not avoid it. The key is moderation: a serving can be anything from a simple ice cream cone, to a 10 scoops topped with 20 different toppings. There are ice cream treats that have only 100 - 200 calories per serving, and I mean regular ice-cream, not "low fat/sugar". The key is having a realistic view of what a portion looks like, and not overdoing it, then you can easily fit ice cream in your daily menu, not just as a special treat. Also fruit based ice cream is usually lower calorie than cream-based ice cream, and also jello is a low calorie option for a sweet snack.

I intend to reply honestly on everything here, even though it would be easy to tweak the truth a little.
    I am still struggling with portion-sizes when it comes to ALL my food. My solution has been to eat almost everything from miso-soup bowls. It works great for breakfasts and small lunches. Dinners? Only when I make pasta. Desserts and treats? Depends. It's easy if we make popcorn to fill that little bowl up and only eat from that amount. Same goes with pick-and-mix candy.
    Ice-cream? That's when it starts to go a bit overboard, and the bowl becomes just a bit TOO full.

And I can't eat everything from the bowl, but I like to think that eating what I can from it provides me with a better sense of portion control.

Thank you!

Then maybe the problem is not limiting treats, or even changing much your diet, but working more on portions. The bowl thing is not bad for foods where it does work, but maybe a food scale would help more, especially when you are home and cooking/preparing your own food. Try measuring recipe ingredients, and then figure out how many grams each portion should be to have what you would consider a reasonable amount of calories. So, if e.g. you have a recipe for cake that gives a total of 1600 calories, but would like to eat no more than 200 calories per serving, bake 8 muffins and you will know exactly how much you are eating per serving. Same is easily applied to cookies, biscuits etc, and to pies, by cutting in a predefined number of slices. For ice cream, either use a scale each time you feel the bowl (and use a small bowl, this should help avoid temptation). When buying store-bought treats, check labels. There are lots of ice creams that are no more than 200 calories or so, like small cones, fruit based ones etc.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    These are not low calorie but very good and healthy.

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/the-healthiest-cookies-ever-paleo-vegan/
  • CPhelps89
    CPhelps89 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Check out chocolate covered katie (basic google search her blog)! She is the queen of secretly good for you desserts!! Making cookie cake (totally gluten free and made with protien packed garbanzo beans) for Father's Day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Save some cals over the week for ice cream once a week. simple

That's not really what I want to do. Like I said, I am looking to lead a healthier lifestyle, and I am doing a bit of experimenting on the way. I've cut certian products completely out of my diet, not so much by hard work but trhough teh fact that they don't taste that good anymore and I've found better substitutes. For example, I no longer eat butter. I load my sandwiches up with vegetables and a slice of cheese because come on, that *kitten*'s amazing. My point is, I want something to replace the high-calorie treats, not just work really really hard so I feel justified in binging (Because it does turn into binging when I go through that process. Every time).
    Thank you anyway for your input.
    Why do you need to eat the same treat as your father? Have some fruit and chocolate if that's what you want, and let him have whatever he wants.

I loathe these type of questions, and they're the main reasons I don't post in fitness forums at all. They feel loaded with judgment and an idea of "Why aren't you doing this my way?"
    And, when I read a question like this, I feel obligated to defend myself, that I've thought this through, that I know what I'm doing, so that no one will come on their high and mighty horse and push me down.
    So, first of all, I have spent almost my entire life with my abusive mother, only ever allowed to see my father under her supervision. That means, when I ran away from her and moved in with him, I didn't actually know him.
    Do we eat the same things? No, he works, and I'm going to start studying soon, so our lives are very different even though we live under the same roof. But we both love food and music, and it's through these things that we connect. When we buy snacks for the cinema, we buy different things. When we go for "fika" (coffee and pastry/snack) we buy different things.
    This weekly treat that I'm talking about is something we share.

Secondly, it's easier if we eat the same weekly treat, because then I won't be tempted to taste his ice-cream. Selfish, perhaps, but it was also his idea that we figure out a healthier snack, which brings me to my third point;
    He needs to become fitter. He's a tall man, he does aikido. But he recently got a new job, and there's a fitness demand that he'll be able to run 10 km in fifty minutes or less. His best is 55 minutes. So, while he's not by any means fat, he could certainly benefit from a few healthier dietary choices, especially considering his love for soda and gummies.

So, thank you for instead of answering my query, providing me with one of your own.
    Sorbet, frozen yogurt, fat free vanilla yogurt with a few dark choc chips on top is delicious... Or just portion yourself a biscuit or two, 2 oreos is only 106 cals...

I do like sorbet and frozen yogurt. Fat free vanilla yogurt is not something I've thought of, but I will have to try it. (Anything with chocolate gets me sold). I eat biscuits in the fall because then I can have them with tea... The heat here in the summer is so wonderful, but all I want is cold food!

Hej!
    Jag är också från Stockholm! Det brukar gå att hitta ekologiska vindruvor utan problem. Seedless works great as well, if you would buy them :)

Ooh, jag hittar aldrig svenskar här! Ekologiskt finns ju alltid, jag bara tycker inte om seedless. Så, letar alltid efter vindruvor MED frön. xD

The their your dad eats ice cream or not won't make the SLIGHTEST bit of difference to his running time... That's what training's for!
  • Plunderedsoul
    Plunderedsoul Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are so many great recipes and ideas on here, and I shall be compiling a list of all of them later on! I want to thank all of you who are so generously sharing your ideas and advice, and continue doing so.
  • theblindpigoxford
    theblindpigoxford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really hope you see this - I have found that you can eat something more decadent if you are smart about how to go about it and measure it out and look for the right product. Take Eddy's Slow Churn ice cream. It has forty fewer calories than other ice cream and it isn't even diet food and is super rich and cream (all the things we look for in ice cream) put a serving of that in a bowl - then add three Quaker chocolate puffed rice cakes to the top of your cream and three to the bottom. Adds the crunch so that it simulates ice cream cone. Now comes the tricky part being smart with the chocolate syrup. A serving is two table spoons - well that's drownings our little sundae. As well as being a ton of sugar. Instead, use hot room temp syrup not cold (the cold gets to think and doesn't want to drizzle it more clumps up measure out one teaspoon and drizzle that on it, while at the same time making sure you get coverage over most of your ice cream.

Bam - A 250 calorie sundae that is rich and cream and sweet with out being the 360 calories it would have been with care and measurements.

Alrhough we all need to eat healthier. Much of it comes done to being aware of our portion sizes. I know I have list 45 lbs. By keeping to about 400 calories per meal plus to snacks and 30 minutes of stationary bike riding(shorting for about 150-200 calories burned) that I got at wall mart for a hundred bucks. I use a stationary bike because it's so hot here in the summer and so cold in the winter that indoor exercise at my house is the only way to ensure I will consistently do my work out and not be scared off by the weather.
    Anyway, good luck lass and hope you reach your goals
  • theblindpigoxford
    theblindpigoxford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My spelling is horrendous - and auto correct seems be auto incorrect - my apologies to all.
  • GeeVuitton
    GeeVuitton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about sugar free jelly? You could add fruit in your jelly and leave the fruit out of your dads pots. Also Caxton Pink n White marshmallow wafers are only 50 calories each but are great for that sweet craving, you can find them in the supermarkets, pound shop and home bargains stores. Good luck with the weight loss.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat the same treat as your father? Have some fruit and chocolate if that's what you want, and let him have whatever he wants.

I loathe these type of questions, and they're the main reasons I don't post in fitness forums at all. They feel loaded with judgment and an idea of "Why aren't you doing this my way?"
    And, when I read a question like this, I feel obligated to defend myself, that I've thought this through, that I know what I'm doing, so that no one will come on their high and mighty horse and push me down.
    So, first of all, I have spent almost my entire life with my abusive mother, only ever allowed to see my father under her supervision. That means, when I ran away from her and moved in with him, I didn't actually know him.
    Do we eat the same things? No, he works, and I'm going to start studying soon, so our lives are very different even though we live under the same roof. But we both love food and music, and it's through these things that we connect. When we buy snacks for the cinema, we buy different things. When we go for "fika" (coffee and pastry/snack) we buy different things.
    This weekly treat that I'm talking about is something we share.

Secondly, it's easier if we eat the same weekly treat, because then I won't be tempted to taste his ice-cream. Selfish, perhaps, but it was also his idea that we figure out a healthier snack, which brings me to my third point;
    He needs to become fitter. He's a tall man, he does aikido. But he recently got a new job, and there's a fitness demand that he'll be able to run 10 km in fifty minutes or less. His best is 55 minutes. So, while he's not by any means fat, he could certainly benefit from a few healthier dietary choices, especially considering his love for soda and gummies.

So, thank you for instead of answering my query, providing me with one of your own.

Well, that reaction's a bit... overboard to a simple question, don't you think? How am I supposed to know your entire back story? I'm sorry your family life has been difficult. But guess what? Everyone's is. In one way or another. You could have just said, "I understand where you're coming from, but I really want a treat both of us can have together," without getting so angry about it. Relax. I'm not out to attack you.

Personally, as someone who also struggles with portion size on certain items, I love ice cream sandwiches. If I scoop 150 calories of ice cream into a bowl, it looks tiny and pathetic, but I don't feel that way if I eat a 150 calorie ice cream sandwich, because ate the whole thing. Or one cupcake. Or one of pretty much anything. A once a week treat doesn't have to be all natural health foods.

If I wanted to spend quality time with my father (and, god, how I'd love to... I miss him so much), and he was training to reduce his 10k time like yours is, I'd go for a run with him on the weekend and then indulge in whatever treat we both loved. Even if you can't run as far and fast as he needs to, a slower, shorter run is still beneficial to his training.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    How about a banana split with ff vanilla greek yogurt, some granola, chocolate chips and chocolate syrup?
  • cornfedjo
    cornfedjo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts. Mostly pistachios. Measure them according to how many calories you want for that snack. I eat 1/4 cup of shelled nuts at 160 calories and then I'm satisfied way more than if I ate sugar.
  • KHunks
    KHunks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make an "Apple pie filling" dessert that does it for me every time. 1 sliced Granny Smith Apple, 1 tsp of butter, 1/8 cup of brown sugar, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp nutmeg and a splash of vanilla extract. I throw all of it into a pan and cook until the apples are soft. Let it cool and eat. I count it as two servings. Around 115 calories per serving or 230 for all of it.
  • Curvy1Gezel
    Curvy1Gezel Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Look up this recipe on here

111 calorie trifle

It's amazing x
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's silly you overreacted so much to timorous_beastie's reply. It was an honest question, and one I had myself. How were they suppose to know it was a treat you wante to share? It's just food, no need to involve your life story about why you want to eat the same thing. They weren't implying that you should 'do it their way'- not even close.
    Now, yeah, I'm telling you to 'do it my way' because you were being pretty rude and overreacting to that, but I feel like I should apologize for being so straightforward here. Still. Chill out over that. And because you don't seem to understand this is a forum, and not yahoo answers or something, you'll probably be pissed that I don't answer your question.
    Try looking up some raw vegan desert recipies. Not always low cal, but they're super super healthy.