Confused about my proper intake

Options
Hi all,

Basically I'm upset that MFP/TDEE, and what's actually happening to my body don't seem to be on the same level. At all. I'm attempting to switch into maintenance, which is a daunting task in and of itself, and it's scary. I did a lot of work to get the body I have now, and I don't wanna backtrack. But I know I need to begin building muscle to combat the skinnyfat effect, and so I need to be eating more.

My current intake is set to 1500cal per day so that I can ease into eating more without bloating and feeling too sluggish to work out the next day. My TDEE says that maintenance level is 2200cal per day, which seems astronomical, but I also set it at "working out 3-5 days a week", which I do. When I set it to sedentary, it comes back with 1700cal per day, which still seems high to me, but I understand that it's an adjustment from eating at a deficit. MFP tells me that 1700 is also about where I need to be, though it doesn't change when I input my number of workouts.

This would be all fine and dandy if my body was paying attention to anything :c eating at 1500 feels like too much to begin with, and I'm bloating and gaining pretty quickly. Why is this happening? If I need to go all the way to 1700, how do I do that while still maintaining the figure I've come to enjoy? I understand that putting on weight is needed for a bulk cycle, but I'm not even close to that part of the process.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    1 serving of ice cream at the end of the day is ~ 200 calories.

There's your difference. And who can't fit in a little bit of ice cream? (it fills in the cracks, right?!)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to earn calories for workouts. When you input them, in goals, they are just your personal goals and won't affect your base calories. When you enter them as you workout, then you will earn the additional cals.
    Set your goal to maintenance, then add workouts as you do them and you'll end up around that 2200 mark anyway.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your MFP goal is not affected by the number of workouts that you tell MFP that you are going to do each week (this is for the basic program, I'm not sure how the prime app/program works.) Your goal is only affected by exercise when you add a specific workout. So you are correct that the 1700 is not being affected by the number of workouts you input (assuming you mean input in the goal setting area.)

How much weight have you actually gained while increasing your calories. What was your calorie goal while still losing? How long have you been at 1500 calories? What are your height/weight/age/activity level?
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A fast look at your diary - though you don't track sodium, it looks like you might be getting more than the Recommended Daily Amount, which will cause bloating and water retention. Start tracking your sodium and keep it under 2300 and see how that works for you. It's unlikely you're actually gaining any fat, it's probably water from the salt content of the pre-packaged/processed foods you eat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

There's your difference. And who can't fit in a little bit of ice cream? (it fills in the cracks, right?!)

Is it chocolate?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Is it chocolate?

Duh
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your MFP goal is not affected by the number of workouts that you tell MFP that you are going to do each week (this is for the basic program, I'm not sure how the prime app/program works.) Your goal is only affected by exercise when you add a specific workout. So you are correct that the 1700 is not being affected by the number of workouts you input (assuming you mean input in the goal setting area.)

How much weight have you actually gained while increasing your calories. What was your calorie goal while still losing? How long have you been at 1500 calories? What are your height/weight/age/activity level?

I have gained four pounds in about two weeks, my cal goal was 1350 while I was losing, and I have been at 1500 cals for two weeks. I am 5'9", 128lbs, 22 years old, and I work out about 4-5times a week (swimming). I know that my weight seems low, but I actually went to my doctor for a checkup and asked her about it and I am healthy so long as I don't dip below 120lbs. I have an unusual bodytype.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A couple of tips & suggestions.

Your body weight will fluctuate - and the 4 pound 'gain' is probably a combination of hormones/TOM/sodium/glycogen stores refilling. And water weight is temporary.

As for maintenance, I suggest you try to drop the notion that you have a goal weight. At least in the sense of having 1 fixed number you want your body to stay at. Because that is impossible and destined to drive you crazy. Instead pick a goal weight range. Such as 124-130. That will help adjust for normal fluctuations. And if you find yourself hovering for longer than you'd like in the 129-130 range, then firm up your logging and trim 100-200 calories off your TDEE per day for a week or two. When you find yourself hanging around the 124-125 area, then allow yourself to splurge a little more with your intake.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Or 123-129 etc. Choose as you think is best for you.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I have gained four pounds in about two weeks, my cal goal was 1350 while I was losing, and I have been at 1500 cals for two weeks. I am 5'9", 128lbs, 22 years old, and I work out about 4-5times a week (swimming). I know that my weight seems low, but I actually went to my doctor for a checkup and asked her about it and I am healthy so long as I don't dip below 120lbs. I have an unusual bodytype.

Your body refilled its glycogen storage. 128 lbs is perfectly fine weight especially for your weight. More than likely, you won't even keep all 4 lbs once your body figures everything. I would keep eating at 1500 till you drop what you gained (and you will as 1500 cals is below maintenance for you) and then up by another 100. and then another 100. And you should be good to go.

• Jod1eC
    Jod1eC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I have read through all the posts and think you may all be able to help me. I have been training and dieting for months but weight has only gone up week by week. I was following ww and have now joined mfp to try something new.
    In terms of training I will do:
    Monday:body pump
    Tuesday 2xspin classes
    Wed rest
    Thursday: body pump and combat
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: either circuits or cycle 30miles ish

Any hints or tips on my calorie intake and what I should do with exercise calories would be mucho appreciated,
    Please explain in simple terms as I am new to all this and do not understand lots of the abbreviations.
    Thanks in advance