Diagnosed with epilepsy caused by benign brain tumour

Options
Hi! Are there any myfitnesspal bloggers on Levetiracetam - Keppra? I have just begun taking it. Feel a bit spaced out but hoping it will not impact on my exercising. I know I'm lucky in that the tumour is operable and the seizures I have had have been "focal" ie not full blown grand mal. Anyway I would appreciate support, motivation, any tips from people out there who may have or had the same sort of thing. My neurologist says to keep doing the exercise cause it will get me in good shape for the surgery.

Replies

• CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your health problems. If you have been advised to continue with exercising then do as much as you feel you are able to. Good luck with the surgery.
  • walbro
    walbro Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. Fortunately I am type to count my blessings and it could have been so much worse. xx
  • kristinabee
    kristinabee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have temporal lobe epilespy diagnosed at 21 (3 years ago)I still have the odd focal seizure. like you I was worried about having seizures whilst exercising. I found it really scary to get back into running. Start out just doing what is comfortable and work your way up. It may be good to start exerising again with someone if you feel worried. But don't push yourself. I did a few months ago fell of a treadmill and had some serious brusies!! Also I was on keppra and it made me feel terrible (spaced out not really present) keep an eye on that and if you think its a problem go back and talk to your neurologist :)
  • rhoadscd652
    rhoadscd652 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with epilepsy with a mass on left side of brain that gets checked every 6 months. I do my best to fight through and kick that *kitten* *kitten*. Head up, positive thoughts :)
  • walbro
    walbro Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I did body attack this morning and was fine. Not sure about the keppra though as I'm feeling really sick with it. Kristinabee I will keep an eye on it for sure. The surgeon thought I would be able to come off the meds after the op but my neurologist said I would probably have to stay on them. Will cross that bridge when I need to. Rhoadscd652 - you put me to shame. What a fantastic attitude you have. Exercise is what probably has kept my symptoms fairly mild so I will definitely keep it up. xx
  • Shazia74
    Shazia74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi - I just had my Tumor removed from left side of brain - I was on steroids the dexamethasone and put on 2 stone in 2 months and also on keppra- I have started gentle exercise just walking at least 30 mins 3 x a weeks after it I just want to sleep. i am suffering from fatigue and weakness in limbs - hopefully I am able to fit into my clothes again and get back doing cArdio and fitness back. my balance is not very good I'm worried Incase I have an injury. :-(
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal to feel like that on anti-seizure meds. Talk to your doctor about other options--you might find that some meds work better for you than others. My experience is that none of them are great and the sooner you can get off of them, the better, if you have the option.

I have very different issues, but I have also had brain surgery--both a vascular surgery and a craniotomy.