WW Success Story - Unsuccessful with NEW Points Plus Plan

Options
http://www.weightwatchers.com/success/art/index.aspx?SuccessStoryId=12241&sc=600 (You will have to copy and paste this in your browser to view the story, as I have no idea how to imbed a link in the posting :frown: )

Over the past 5 1/2 years I have lost 75 pounds using the old WW Points system. I have maintained that loss since reaching my goal weight over a year and a half ago. Then came the new Points Plus system, which doesn't seem to work for me. I couldn't seem to loose any weight at all, and sometimes gained a bit, even when sticking perfectly to the plan. My daily points had gone from 20 to 29, fruits were now free along with some vegetables that used to have points values, like carrots. I eat a lot of fruit. Items with fats in them didn't seem to cost as many points, and items with a lot of fiber seemed to cost too many points. It seemed out of kilter to me from the beginning, but I used it for several months without any success.

Then about 2 weeks ago a friend invited me to be her pal on My Fitness Pal. I decided to do a little experiment. For a couple of days I tracked everything I ate simultaneously in my Weight Watchers tracker and also in My Fitness Pal. The calorie allowance given to me by MFP was 1200 a day which, given my BMR, seemed about right, and in fact back in the old days when calories used to be included in points calculations, I think that was about what I had daily on WW as well.

Anyway, at the end of the day, when I had used up my calorie allowance in MFP, I still had 8 or 9 points left in the WW Points Plus Plan. Good grief, no wonder I wasn't having any success. I would have eaten those points (plus my flex points over the course of the week, plus my activity points). Heaven only knows what all that would have added up to.

I don't know why they decided to change a very successful system. I have been on many message boards discussing this situation, and I am not alone. Many other members, a lot of them lifetime members, say they are gaining again on the new Points Plus system. But I am very thankful that My Fitness Pal came to the rescue, I am happily losing again and I will continue to be a success story.

Becky

Replies

• Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Good to hear you got on the right track with the OLD WW point system. A lot of people who are just stepping in are probably extremely confused why they are not losing weight if they are doing everything right!

Great job with losing all that weight :D I hope to be one of those people, one day!
    /struggle
    /struggle
    /struggle
  • twinkle1074
    twinkle1074 Posts: 35
    Options
    Wow I am so glad you posted this. I also did the old WW plan and lost about 35 pounds and then fell off the wagon so this year I decided to try the new WW points plus plan. I not only didn't lose weight...I actually gained a pound which frustrated me and I kept thinking am I counting these points right. I finally cancelled my online subscription and started on this site and I lost 2 pounds in my first week. I am much more happier with this plan and it really gives me a real idea of exactly what I am eating. I loved the old WW flex plan and I lost weight fairly easily but this new plan...I dunno they might need to really evaluate who is actually losing on this plan because most of the success stories on their site show people who lost weight on the old plan. Interesting uhh?!
  • ToeTapN
    ToeTapN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kraziekay89
    Kraziekay89 Posts: 45
    Options
    First thing first, I just started using the PointPLUS system and have already lost 1lb. Please don't come on the message boards completely downing this program because everything works differently for different people.

They changed the program for a few reasons, one being that they have taken into consideration how things break down in your body! This is great. Here on MFP which I also tried, you don't have to actually watch what you eat. As long as you are eating under 1200 calories you're supposed to lose weight! WRONG, that very well may not happen because you can still eat all CRAP you ate before you decided to diet, just in more moderation.

I know many people that I go to meetings with that LOVE the new program. I met a lifetime just yesterday that never stuck to weight watchers until the new program. Please be kind to everyone and don't dis the program.

Just the same I would like to say that I still like MFP. I'm enjoying keeping track of my calories and find that I am now under some days and over others. It really just depends. But I am eating better foods now due to weight watchers. MFP is a great place for support and for those that are good about eating healthy foods this has really worked.

I hope that no one gets discouraged from my statements or the statements from pedalpusher5 because you really have to find what works best for you!

Good Luck Everyone!
  • moniew24
    moniew24 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I was not the only one that gained on the new Points Plus Plan. It seemed that I just couldnt get it, I was eating on point and still gaining so needless to say, I discontinued my membership, because I was tired of paying to gain weight.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've had some success following WW in the past but I really believe that their point system is designed to keep you enrolled in WW forever. Even with the old system I found that the number of points given was a little high. I know it's set up as a lifesyle change and for long term change of eating habits but the key word is "long". How long do you want to wait to lose weight?? Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion...:happy:
  • Kraziekay89
    Kraziekay89 Posts: 45
    Options
    Good to hear you got on the right track with the OLD WW point system. A lot of people who are just stepping in are probably extremely confused why they are not losing weight if they are doing everything right!

Great job with losing all that weight :D I hope to be one of those people, one day!
    /struggle
    /struggle
    /struggle

Wow, so many negatives about this program.

Way to be negative nellys.

I see a lot of people losing weight on this system. Hmm..........
  • twinkle1074
    twinkle1074 Posts: 35
    Options
    I agree @ KrayzieKay with everything you said because I know people who have lost weight on the new plan but for me I felt bloated and I gained a lb. Let me reinterate that I LOVE Weight Watchers because I lost a big chunk of weight when I used the old plan so I am definitely not bashing...I am just wondering why the new plan works for some and not others. Also they need to show more people who lost weight on the current plan in their success stories online. I am glad I saw this post because honestly I was really beating myself up because I thought I was doing something wrong especially since I had so much success on the old plan. I personally didnt see the point in continuing with a plan that I felt was making me gain weight and I am sure there are others who may have the same experiences as well. If it works for you then that is awesome and I am happy for your weightloss but please don't feel offended if other people including myself didn't have the same experience.
  • deebuttersnaps
    Options
    My father has lost ALOT of weight on the new WW point system, but it hasn't worked for me. It works for some and not for others. Here's to finding what works! :drinker: (water )
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you on the new WW PP. I have been a lifetime member for a lot of years now. As with so many others I gained my weight back. I went back to WW because of the success I have had in the past with the program. When they changed it I thought Wow! Free fruit. I thought it would be a successful program as in the past. Wrong. Well at least for me it wasn't. I got rid of 24 lbs but after the first 2 weeks I can't budge the scale to get rid of these last 9 lbs. In fact I gained 2 lbs. Then I have been up and down those 2 lbs. Someone on the WW message board mentioned this site and I remembered that I downloaded it on my phone over the winter. So I decided to go back into it and check it out. I had been using SP but that was driving me crazy double tracking. I love this site and it is so much easier to use than SP.I love the more simplified feedback I get on here. I have a good feeling that I may be able to break the plateau I have been on. If I do WW online will be history. I don't want to waste my money anymore with it. It is sad that such a great program in the past is having so many members that are unsuccessful with the new one. Maybe they will look at it and tweek it up a little. Good luck everyone with all of your weigh loss goals.
  • MarthaRN
    MarthaRN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member also. I haven't been able to lose one ounce since they changed the plan. I just canceled my e-tools membership. I love this site so much more. Good Luck everyone.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have never tried WW, but it does kinda bother me that some fruit and veggies are now free.. My reasoning is this. For ME to lose weight my carbs have to be low.. I cant do carrots or alot of fruit because of the starch and sugar.. This could be why some people aren't losing on the new system.
  • unaffected
    unaffected Posts: 154
    Options
    I've done both the old and new WW systems, and the old one worked better for me. I found that I was eating too many carbs with the fruit (especially extra carby bananas). I am not joining the next session at work. I will instead save my $ and hang out here
    :devil:
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    yep im in australia and i didnt loose anythng, i gained :(
    i felt sooo bad!
    i mean with all these extra points i was eating sall sorts of things, and like 4 pieces of fruit int he morning for breaksfast and stuff with yoghurt.
    not cool!!!

i have the WW stuff for home so im thinking of reading my old books and really get back to the old system that i know worked for me! :)

its s shame there isnt still grouos and meetings still on the old system. its the new system or nothing which is a shame but im glad i have the old stuff to follow :)
  • lauralhicks
    lauralhicks Posts: 168
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about, I lost 45lbs on the old plan, and in Nov. when they switched over my loss haulted needless to say i'm not on WW anymore.
  • pedalpusher5
    Options
    Krazy Kay,

I am sorry if you were offended by my post. I would just like to set the record straight about my relationship with WW. I am not dissing WW in any way as an organization. I am simply stating the facts of my experience, which is what the forums are here for, for us to share our journey. Sometimes we share negative experiences as well as positive ones, it's all information and it's all meant to edify.

I am not a basher in any way. If you knew me personally you would know that I am an encourager. That is why I participate in the online community, to share my success, how I got here (both triumphs and downfalls) and to encourage others to do the same, for the sake of their health. Otherwise I would just sign on, keep my profile completely private, log my food and get off. But I had a lot of support along the way, and I want to be a support to others if possible.

I was a WW member for 6 years, I lost and maintained 76 pounds on the old plan, so I was WW's biggest cheerleader for a very long time. I believed in the program with my whole heart and recommended it to absolutely everyone I knew that was interested in losing weight. I was an online Success Story last month (actually the photoshoot took place last year before the new plan). The people at WW were extremely kind and supportive during that entire experience and I have very high regard for them. I am not bashing them in any way as an organization.

What I am saying, and it should not be confused with dissing of WW, is that the NEW points plus system simply does not work FOR ME (and for a number of others I have talked to, some of them lifetime members who started gaining weight with the new plan), and I stated my reasons why I believe that is.

I would also like to address your other point about people being able to eat junk on MFP. Believe me, people eat junk on WW too. I've known WW members in the old days when you counted "exchanges" who logged their pina coladas as a fruit exchange. It's all been done. If people are determined to eat poorly, they will, regardless of points systems, or calorie counters, or food pyramids. I firmly believe that most people know what is healthy for them and what is not and they are going to do what they are determined to do. Your points counter does not set the healthy food in front of you and force you to eat it. You have to do that on your own. People who want to change their life for the better by eating healthy will do so, regardless of how they are counting it.

I am very happy for you that the points plus system is working for you. I encourage you to keep at it, enjoy your progress and be your own success story. And please, try not to be so easily offended when someone sees things in a different way from you. I think most of the people on these forums are here to support others and to be supported. Maybe every once in awhile someone will have a malicious agenda but I would bet that 99.9% of the time it's simply a difference of opinion spawned by a difference of experience.

Good luck to you and I hope you achieve your goals,

Becky
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    OLD WW, works like a genius i absolutely love it
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options

/struggle
    /struggle
    /struggle

Wow, so many negatives about this program.

Way to be negative nellys.

I see a lot of people losing weight on this system. Hmm..........

if you dont like what ppl are saying about it you dont have to continue reading. i used ww points plus. i lost 9 lbs the first week but then that was it. now i eat what i want but i stay in moderation and am dropping weight everyday. 41 lbs since quitting weight watchers. ur right it is a good program for some but not all, people are entitled to their own opinion, please remember that. thanks
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started on Weight Watchers in January 2008, and in the first 10 months I lost 50 lbs (245 to 195), which was a little over half the weight I needed to lose. Then the holidays hit, I got lazy, I fell off the wagon and gained back about 15 lbs. I got back on in February 2010 and did alright - I lost the 15 lbs I'd gained - but then I started a new job, fell off the wagon again, etc... when I went to start back on WW again this spring, they had started the new PointsPlus plan. They had also discontinued the non-Flash tools on their website, and my work computer is old and doesn't display the new tools at all, so I was lost. I was back up to 220, confused and frustrated by the new points program, and tired of being heavy. So Wednesday night I was looking up apps on my Droid and I found the MyFitnessPal app. As a test I entered the foods I'd eaten that day. WOW what an eye-opener! Particularly when it told me how heavy I'd get if I ate like that every day. I've decided that counting calories - and generally making healthier food choices, along with exercise - is the way to go. It's easy to count calories, whereas it's hard to calculate Points values unless you want to carry around WW's proprietary calculator everywhere. I like the simplicity of counting calories. So tonight I canceled my WW membership. After I finish a project at work this week, I'm going to start taekwondo lessons. I am going to get back on the wagon and lose this weight, finally!

Since starting Wednesday, I've lost 2 lbs. That may not seem like much - and yes, I get that it's probably water weight - but even that small success is motivation for me.
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    MFP is the best! After finding this site, I will never go back to WW.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!