stationery bike calorie counter

Options
Guys how accurate are those counters? I weigh 130kg and Im doing 32 minut sesion every day on an exercise bike following a dvd guide which is preaty intense and the end the counter on my bike showes that I've burned between 1400 - 1500 calories
Now before yous start going on about how stupid I must be for believing it know that I do not, I know that it's only an estimate and the true result isn't anywhere near this much.
I'm only asking how acurate are they.

Replies

• Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i don't know how your bike calorie counter could show that much...
    Keep in mind, an active adult (of roughly normal weight) might "only" burn 2500 calories / day. Or even up to 3k for a very active adult.
    And I think one of those super intense programs like p90x or whatever, "only" burns 300 calories per hour? (or maybe per half hour, so 600 for the hour if that's the case).

Now without your age or gender or height. Its difficult to even know what your basic metabolic rate (calories your body burns just to survive), is. I'm guessing around 2200-2600 calories / day, since to be blunt, you're really heavy.

Your best bet is to look up a stationary bike calculator online or something, and that might give you a rough idea.
    But don't be fooled, you're definitely not burning more than 300-700 calories per session at an estimate. And that's if it was super intense.
    + Then there is gross calories and net calories to take into account. Gross calories are total calories burned
    Net calories, are calories that that specific exercise/activity burned.
    Because most machines / calculators show you your gross calories burned (these include calories burned from the exercise/activity + what your body would've naturally burned in that time to survive, even if you were doing nothing)
    So for example. If an accurate calorie count said you burned 400 calories. That would be gross calories most likely.
    But for doing that exercise, you may have burnt 300-350 NET calories. As the rest of those calories, your body would've burnt even if you were in a coma, as it would've needed to burn them anyway to keep itself alive.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    To add to that post.
    My point about the difference between gross calories burned and net calories burned.
    Is that if you were to eat back the calories you burn during exercise.
    And you ate back all 400 gross calories burned. THat would be more than you should've.
    As your basic metabolic rate / resting metabolic rate - the calories your body is naturally burning to stay alive - is already accounted for in your daily calorie intake / calculations.
    So if you were to eat back all your exercise calories, then its net calories you should be eating back (eg 300-350 in that case, whatever it would turn out to be - there are net calorie burn calculators online).