Protein shake for breakfast-yay or nay?

Options
Good morning all!

new member here and totally obsessed with this site! so far down 2.5 lb! i had a quick question-is it bad to have a protein shake for breakfast every morning?

i usually make mine with soy milk, designer whey protein and throw in some fruit.

are there any dangers in doing this?

thanks all and looking forward to chatting!

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Not as long as it has lots of other nutrients and vitamins in it. I have Shakeology just about every morning, but it has 70+ ingredients and is my healthiest meal of the day.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    no idea about dangers but I generally have one for breakfast as well
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do that too! I think its a great way to start the day! Keep it up!
  • Wentra
    Wentra Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have yogurt and fruit every morning for breakfast and have not had any ill effects from it. I don't see where a protein shake would be any worse. It might even be better.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and it was actually recommended to me by my nutrionist to do a protein shake or all protein breakfast in the morning to help regulate my blood sugar throughout the day. Something about high amounts of carbs after fasting.
  • bigcurt61
    bigcurt61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's my normal breatfast!
  • Shrek55
    Shrek55 Posts: 14
    Options
    no danger but the fruit with the protein might make you fart a bit.

Protein should be consumed at every meal. Other wise the diet/meal plan will fail.

I put protein into my diet daily like part of the grocery bill.

Either bars or whey shake.

Both are good. Just watch your sodium and cholesterol intake.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I say not as long as you have a good healthy snack between breakfast and lunch. Or a little something, like a hard boiled egg to go with it. Protein shakes are great sources of protein and other nutrients, but I really don't think they should be used to replace a complete meal. Just being a part of one would be good.
  • wendalynh
    wendalynh Posts: 8
    Options
    I have an Isagenix shake for Breakfast and Supper so I am yay...
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I usually have Multi-grain Cheerios 1/2 cup of 1% milk and a scoop of blueberries = 200 calories..

2 Eggs Scrambled ( every other day) 140 Calories, and 1 slice of toast +70 = 210 total calories.

Sunday is Pancake Day with my son.

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have a Visalus Shake every day for breakfast & lunch, some days with or with out fruits or peanut butter. The shakes are delicious and I'm still getting all of my nutrition, plus they are a dietary aid.
  • curtm97982
    curtm97982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depends on what else you eat the rest of the day and what is in your protein shake. A good protein shake is better as a quick breakfast than a stop at the local fast food shop when you're in a hurry. Just make sure that you're eating good well balanced meals the rest of the day. I use a protein shake for breakfast because it's the best way to get a high protein, low fat, low carb meal when I'm rushed plus it has all the amino acids, vitamins and minerals I need. My other meals are lots of fresh vegetables, necessary fats, and complex carbs or lean proteins like fish and chicken. These take more time to prepare and plan than I have for breakfast. In my opinion just make sure at the end of the day you have provided all the things your body needs to thrive.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I have a Visalus Shake every day for breakfast & lunch, some days with or with out fruits or peanut butter. The shakes are delicious and I'm still getting all of my nutrition, plus they are a dietary aid.
    I was on these for a month and lost a good bit of weight, but when I stopped, the weight came back fast. It is a good way to start losing a lot, but you can't stop replacing meals with them and think the weight will stay off.
  • joyfulgirl97
    joyfulgirl97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your replies! very helpful!
  • jesterx888
    jesterx888 Posts: 181
    Options
    I usually have one about every other day for breakfast but I also drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of yogurt and other dairy so I get quite a bit of protein daily. Once I get back into a routine I will probably go back to a daily shake for breakfast