Looking for Beck Diet Buddies

Options
I am new to the community but not new to the struggle. I have lost and regained a LOT of weight over the last 49 years. I kept 40 pounds off for fours years but then four years of pregnancies, c-sections and having my thyroid removed has made maintaining a healthy weight really tough. I am nearing 50 and really committed to getting back to-- and staying in-- a healthy place. I have been reading The Beck Diet Solution and the Diet Trap Solution and feel like this cognitive behavioral piece will really help me break the cycle I have been in for the last 17 years. I would love to connect with other people who have read the books and possibly find some diet buddies. Thanks!

Replies

• opsdivafl
    opsdivafl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm just now reading Beck. I had debilitating depression in the early 2000's and CBT is what pulled me out of that and put me on the track for a very happy and fulfilling life. After 20 years of Yo Yo'ing - I saw something about Beck and read that it was CBT based and I was like "DUH! Of course that's the approach you should take!" So here I am - about three days into exploring this approach.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like! I've worked through the exercises a number of times over the years. I have to say that I've found that some of the exercises were very useful and I still regularly use them. I still struggle with emotional eating, but I do think that the steps work when you work them. My biggest problem is probably that I've never employed a diet coach like the book suggests. I've never had anyone in my personal life I've felt comfortable putting in that position and I just can't seem to justify hiring one, either.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Add me too, I have done the first 3 weeks before but am reconnecting now using the workbook and the diet traps book. I'm on week 2 of the workbook but have been using the techniques for a month, but not calorie counting. Tomorrow the calorie counting starts. ☺
  • wanderlustre72
    wanderlustre72 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Please add me, I'm starting my weight loss journey this time with CBT. I'm a trained CBT therapist so want to see if it works on me! I would love to have motivated friends to support and be supported by, so if you are looking for another friend, that would be great!
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am in the midst of reading the book right now. I am at the part where it tells me to get a coach. I could use some accountability buddies!
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am a happy Becker! I have been using the tools daily. Is there a Beck group? Right now, I am reading her new book, "the Diet Trap". I have found Beck to be EXTREMELY helpful in my journey.
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I started typing up "Response Cards" and notes. My thought was to print them out and tape them to index cards. I didn't type up all the ST/HR, or all notes - just ones that were key for me. I have it in my google docs - any of you with this link can view them: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J12x97BRd7yG_d3NH9hrDSzIzrXjkcPzy_sq8x94xhc/edit?usp=sharing
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ordered this book several months ago..........I guess I need to actually start reading it. :*
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    TeaBea-- the MFP Beck Diet Solution group is starting to me more active and we are starting to get interesting and supportive discussions started. Stop on by! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105973-the-beck-diet-solution-group