When people just don't get it....

Options
So, my mom (bless her heart) probably thinks she's my biggest supporter when really she's probably the worst! I called her today to tell her about my progress (going great) and what I thought was a fabulous breakthrough moment. Here's the convo:

Me: "So I'm not so good at getting my protein in & since it's so hot out I decided to go to Smoothie King and just get a protein smoothie for my supper. Since I haven't had sweets/sugar (except fruits & sugar additives) for a couple weeks I thought I was going to LOVE this shake, but you know what? It actually tastes SO sweet to me, I kind of don't like it." {insert me hoping for some comment like "see? you can break your sweets addiction" or "I knew you could do this" or SOMETHING! Nope.... what I got was....}
Mom: "Um Amy, do you really think you NEED all that sugar that's in it?"
:open_mouth:

I went on to explain I'm monitoring my calories & sugar mg's and I'm doing fine. That while there ARE sugars in this smoothie...it is a meal replacement smoothie, not just a milkshake to go along with your meal or something. Thought I did a good job explaining all the nutrition logic behind my decision & thought I'd hear encouragement...again...WRONG.

How do YOU cope with the well-meaning folks that end up frustrating you instead of helping? Fat Amy would have pitched the smoothie & ordered a pizza with dessert. This new Amy is venting here & trying to ignore it & won't be eating anything else...I'm too full and done with emotional eating! :)

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I don't discuss my weight loss with my mom I mean yikes

I don't discuss it with anyone offline

You're opening the door to all kinds of nonsense if you do
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have people in my life that no matter how great of accomplishment, or progress, will "Encourage" me by saying something like "Wow, losing 5 pounds last week is great, If you would have made better choices, you could have lost 6" . . . . and expect me to feel encouraged by that. . . . .
    You're in this for YOU. . . . it's no longer a "Diet", it's a new lifestyle. Will it be easy . . . . . NO~ If it were easy, everyone would do it. . . . . .
    YOU get to pick your attitude every day, actually every moment of every day. . . . Choose wisely. . .
    I gave up explaining to my mom years ago, she knows everything . . . LOL
    I try to turn it into something positive when confronted with negative . . . .

Not so much help, but know that you're not alone. . . !!
  • amycfatnomore
    amycfatnomore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The "you could have lost 6" sounds JUST like her. Man I hope I don't do this to my kids :)

And the friend that posted that to your Facebook? Wow. Just wow.

Yes, I'm finding that this website/app are my new best friends and the only ones I'm going to discuss weight loss with I think. If people notice the loss & want to ask I'll answer them but that's it. I "talk down" to myself enough...I don't need help! LOL
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I can't believe a friend would post that, I guess she's not really such a friend after all. I really don't discuss my weight loss with anyone unless they ask. I don't post anything on face book or anything like that. I am just proud that I am working towards a healthier me, and don't care what anyone else thinks about it. If your family and friends love you they should be positive and supportive, unfortunately we know how crappy people can be. I think its their own insecurities.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I got lost. I thought this was a Pitch Perfect thread for a second and got excited.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I had to kind of stop discussing my weight loss and lifting with my mom. It makes her uncomfortable. I noticed she tries to change the subject or just actually ignores me. She has her own issues, and I'm smaller than I was in middle school (her baby!). And lifting scares her. :(

• VenusStar101
    VenusStar101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I got ya but luckily my friends are on the same journey so it helps. I can post on fb. My mom just complains about how her knees hurt or how poor her. Ok so I was talking about me. My husband who is watching his intake isn't so supportive either. I finally broke my best time for 1 mile and for 5k. He's like yeah babe I saw you lap 3 was slow. F*** off.
  • amycfatnomore
    amycfatnomore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone! I'll just keep talking to others on a journey to better health/body too and everyone else :neutral:
  • roxilegend
    roxilegend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My mom is like that, too. I don't openly discuss my weight-loss with her, but obviously she knows I'm actively losing. The other day I was eating dinner at her house and my stepdad asked why I didn't want butter on my corn on the cob. Before I could answer, she blurted out "she can't eat butter, she's dieting!" Now, I know she meant it in the best way possible, but first of all I can speak for myself, second I'm not "dieting" I'm watching my calorie intake, and third - I've never ate butter on my corn! I didn't even say anything; I just let it go. I've learned there's no use arguing or even trying to explain it to her. I just do me and let her think I'm losing all my weight by depriving myself, lol.
  • jenniferplatter
    jenniferplatter Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have really started to become more private about my weight loss. I post NOTHING on social media about my weight loss. Never have. I am very embarrassed at how heavy I was and don't want to bring attention to the fact that I was fat 9 months ago. I dunno...just me.
    One thing I have found when you are losing weight some people are so damn nosey and think everything you do is their business to judge or make food decisions for you. I use to be polite or not say anything, but over the past 4 months I have become not so polite, as in "Don't worry about it!", "Don't discuss me or my weight", "Stop nagging me!"