Competition with my husband ..... I'm losing : (

Options
I started off at a higher weight than my husband and he was not dieting at the time . We went on holiday and I put on loads !! We decided we would do it together and actually started at the exact same weight ! He has s more active job than me but he's losing it quicker, I'm really proud of him but wish I could catch up, we both have MFP and his 5 week progress thing is always lower than mine. I know I'm being silly but I wonder if anyone else is in the same situation ?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in this.

Weight loss is about challenging yourself and obtaining what you want... not other people? At least that's how I've always seen it. It's relative to yourself, just like it is for everyone else.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I know I'm being silly but I wonder if anyone else is in the same situation ?
    My wife is.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The 5 week progress thing can be really wonky. It changes by many, many pounds if I eat even a few calories over. I've heard others say it's not that accurate in their experiences either.

And then there's the fact that you have a TOM and he doesn't (maybe you should have him load up on salty foods once a month to make it even, hahah).

Seriously, in the battle of the sexes when it comes to weightloss, females tend to get the short-ish end of the stick. "Short-ish" meaning we can lose just as much, but it comes off a little less evenly - largely due to our ability to store water like camels. Edit: I'd also swear we lose more slowly, but it's been said that's a myth.

As you've probably already seen here, weight loss isn't linear, so comparing the progress of two different people (of two genders, no less), is probably difficult, at best.
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As a former Weight Watchers member, It is very common for men to lose weight faster that women. I don't remember the reason they gave for that, sorry.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Actually you're winning if you're losing weight and trying to get healthier. It's all about perspective.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    jpburcham wrote: »
    As a former Weight Watchers member, It is very common for men to lose weight faster that women. I don't remember the reason they gave for that, sorry.

Not only that, but if you're really going to make this a competition, focus on total loss by percentage (original body weight to finishing weight) rather than how many pounds you each lose.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help , I know everyone is different it just seems that any time he goes on a diet it falls off and I work really hard at it! Haha don't think I resent him or anything I'm so proud of him and I'm happy we are doing it together x
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Men and women lose at different rates. Women tend to lose slower because (typically not always) we have a different body composition than a man of the same weight. But on the plus side... we tend to gain it back slower too...

Anyway... instead of completing on weight loss, why not compete based on something like how often you didn't derail when the other did, or glasses of water, or length/intensity of exercise (but not calories burned) if you find competition keeps you motivated. Find more neutral ground.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Men and women lose at different rates. Women tend to lose slower because (typically not always) we have a different body composition than a man of the same weight. But on the plus side... we tend to gain it back slower too...

Anyway... instead of completing on weight loss, why not compete based on something like how often you didn't derail when the other did, or glasses of water, or length/intensity of exercise (but not calories burned) if you find competition keeps you motivated. Find more neutral ground.

This.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    why not compete based on something like how often you didn't derail when the other did, or glasses of water, or length/intensity of exercise (but not calories burned) if you find competition keeps you motivated. Find more neutral ground.

Oooo - that's a thought! Or base the competition on who can have the longest log in streak and keep to their calorie allotment the best?
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    men tend to have a faster metabolism.
  • asherdink07
    asherdink07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight since February and have lost 13 lbs. My boyfriend hopped on the bandwagon and within 2 weeks lost 5 lbs. He walked like 4 miles a week and stopped drinking pop. I've cleaned up my eating and go to the gym 5-8 hrs a week! . Point being men lose a lot quicker than us women. It sucks I know but keep your head up and work on you! You can do anything you Sri your mind to :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There's the added bonus of men not having to deal with some of the water weight fluctuations us ladies do, too. Our hormones can throw a nice wrench in the works thanks to TOM, ovulation and things related to those.

Depending on where you are in your cycle, you could be down a few pounds of fat but up a similar amount in water weight, making it look like you haven't lost a thing.

Take measurements, too, so you don't get too frustrated if the number isn't changing. And find other ways to compete, like various fitness goals.

Maybe you'll be able to run faster than he can ;)

~Lyssa
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both track. He's trying to gain, I'm trying to lose the last 10. One weekends we do the same activites and our fitness trackers consistently show he has burned 500+ more calories than I have, even though the other stats are the same. There's even a twenty years difference between us - he's 58 and I'm 38. I'm guessing it's biology and hormones. Men don't need the fat stores like women do. Congratulations on the progress you have made!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're losing, so you're winning. Nice job!
    Men tend to have higher BMR's, so the comparison is unfair to you.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are only competing to see who has the first true plateau. So far neither of us have not lost for more than a week yet. I am telling you right now if I stall first I am going to punch him. Haha jk! A lil!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    jpburcham wrote: »

Men have a higher daily calorie requirement, so we have more room for a bigger deficit.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I started off at a higher weight than my husband and he was not dieting at the time . We went on holiday and I put on loads !! We decided we would do it together and actually started at the exact same weight ! He has s more active job than me but he's losing it quicker, I'm really proud of him but wish I could catch up, we both have MFP and his 5 week progress thing is always lower than mine. I know I'm being silly but I wonder if anyone else is in the same situation ?

Take comfort in the thought that at one point he is at a weight were he wont lose anymore when you are still going ( women usually weigh less.
    Bit funny thought of me, and silly

But i know i started off with my husband. He wanted to go back to 172 to 174 pounds and he did. He took off 10 pounds
    I started of at 260.6, but the day i hit "his" healthy weight was a fun day we celebrated with pink champagne
    Now i weigh even less....so i am winning ;)

hehehehe

Just kidding.
    Keep doing what your doing You both are doing it right. Make a bit fun about it, like we did. Celebrate the little victories with some loving, humor and champagne....and you are as happy as can be lol
  • artsbysimon
    artsbysimon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a commercial on TV :) lol but anyway the thing about eating affects everyone differently some people have faster metabolism than others. So you have to step back and analyze to see what you eat will keep your weight away or make you gain it good luck
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure women are biologically hardwired to hold onto fat more than men, because of the need to grow and bear children. Or men have greater lean body mass than women, women have more fat, and metabolically muscle burns more calories than fat. Or something. Men do lose weight faster, anyway.