Sushi Confusion

Options
Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
Hey all

Hoping someone can help me. So sushi, everywhere I look it seems to say that the sushi in the below image would be around the 370cal mark. This seems low but it is the number given in MFP and a few other sites that I have looked at.

It is 300g including the tray and sauce, its tempura king prawns with veggie sushi. Anyone familiar with sushi and can either confirm or correct me.

Seems too low in my opinion and I don't want to eat sushi and record it as 365 cals when its really 500 etc.

wgx8xdtf463r.png

For those that helped, here is a blurry and possibly crooked image of some kangaroos.
cz932g0wlad5.png

Replies

• jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds very close. I routinely indulge in a tempura roll from a local market that makes it fresh daily... scanned label is 360 calories for the roll (about 8 pieces).
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you bough it, but Sushi sushi has their tempura prawn hand rolls at 882kj per 100 grams. Minus the packaging that would bring it around the 500 calorie mark (slightly more even)
  • Merkavar
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    Not sure where you bough it, but Sushi sushi has their tempura prawn hand rolls at 882kj per 100 grams. Minus the packaging that would bring it around the 500 calorie mark (slightly more even)

See thats sounds more reasonable but every where i see calories or kj listed its 1500kj or 360cal
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    And to add a gross story, my son had a sushi sushi pack last night. Pulled it out of the bin and with the lid and untouched wasabi it weighs 26 grams, plus had 2 fish soy packs which weigh another 10 grams lol

Thanks for the kangaroos but I see them every Saturday on my Parkrun. Also seen a wombat and an echidna, now if you could find a platypus that would be a treat :smile:
  • Merkavar
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    Thanks for the kangaroos but I see them every Saturday on my Parkrun. Also seen a wombat and an echidna, now if you could find a platypus that would be a treat :smile:

yeah platypus, don't think i have seen those in the wild. Had echidnas in the bush near my house and wombats in my front yard.

• Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    330cals is what my sushi comes too usually. which is about the same size as your portion. so sounds about right
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You could always log it on the higher end (500-550) and just work around it that way.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    Tempura is deepfried, thus there might be a substantial amount of oil in there! Plus I don't know if there's any sauce or mayonnaise in it.
    When I was still losing weight and was on a lengthy business trip I had sushi every other evening. Usually 8 pieces of nigiri sushi (the stuff without masses of ingredients and mayonnaise), a pile of edamame and a misosoup with fish and tofu. I asked how they made the rice, weighed everything and came to the conclusion it's about 550-600kcal per dinner.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the 500 mark, as tempura is deep fried and it's always best to guesstimate up.
  • Caletara
    Caletara Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The tempura is what is giving you the calories. I usually stick to nigiri(plain rice and raw fish) or sashimi(just the raw fish) and stay away from tempura and things with sauces. Those calories add up real fast! Check out my diary (its open) to get a better feel for the calorie counts. I eat sushi A LOT.