Tips to get "cheat" weight down?

Options
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get their weight off from their "cheat" day? I went over by not quite 1000 on saturday, which was planned. I'm still 2 lbs up. I have a few days left til weigh in but I just want to be sure to get it off. I know I need to load up on water, which I'm doing. Is there anything else you do that helps?

ps- Not looking for "don't do cheat day" responses. I do them, I like them, the end :)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you've been losing, then just get back to your plan and it should work itself off.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    WATER! On my cheat days I drink a ton more water to keep things flushed out.
  • jtkelley420
    jtkelley420 Posts: 24
    Options
    im having same problem...dont think im going to have anymore cheat days
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    It's probably just water weight and will come off, but for me it usually takes about two days.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    WATER! Cheat days = LOTS higher sodium= water retention. Only way to get rid of it is time -- but drinking even more water will help it come off faster. Prepare to spend a lot of time in the bathroom.......
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get their weight off from their "cheat" day? I went over by not quite 1000 on saturday, which was planned. I'm still 2 lbs up. I have a few days left til weigh in but I just want to be sure to get it off. I know I need to load up on water, which I'm doing. Is there anything else you do that helps?

ps- Not looking for "don't do cheat day" responses. I do them, I like them, the end :)

Run an extra mile on the days you cheat, problem solved.

In the grand scheme of things, 1000 calories every once in a while isnt even a blip on the radar. It's not even 1/3 of a pound of fat. But if your cheat 'day' is actually every OTHER day, making it more along the lines of cheat dayS, then it's a bigger problem...and the answer is to be more dedicated.

If you have only gone over by 1000 calories and are up 2 lbs, and you are sure your calorie numbers are accurate (and if you arent using a monitor 24/7, they probably arent), then you are retaining water. Drink more, eat less sodium and cut down on things like caffeine.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I wish I could somehow make myself drink more water on the weekends. My cheat day usually falls on one of those days, but even eating clean, I have a hard time remembering to drink water unless I am at my desk at work!! Maybe I should wear a camel back all day, LOL!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Don't make it into 'cheat days' but maybe only 'cheat meals' only, not the whole day.
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I schedule my cheat day for the day after I weigh in, if I lose weight then that's my reward, if the scale hasn't changed I skip the cheat day. Either way, I have the whole week to work it off before the next weigh in. If I've lost weight, then it's keep doing what I was doing, if not then I add an extra workout or two during the week.
  • KaytiGirl
    KaytiGirl Posts: 11
    Options
    My cheat days usually involve calories from alcohol so I make sure to hydrate hydrate hydrate! AND make sure I do extra cardio to make up for all the empty calories I am consuming ;) It also helps to go out and dance while I am enjoying my libations because you are burning the calories as you drink them! I just make careful sure to drink a bunch of water also!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I will say, though, I do notice that if I try to weigh myself too much, it absolutely drives me nuts. My new plan is to weigh myself the same day of the week every time and absolutely stay away from the scale right around my cheat day. I am still losing weight each week and I don't stress out about whatever may have happened the one day a week I cheat.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at zig-zagging your calories, to factor in your cheat day?
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    To be 2 lbs of "fat" you would have needed to be 7000 calories over your maintenance so at least you know this isn't "real" weight gain. That means it is like the others have said and just water retention. So up your number of glasses a day. For example I normally aim for 10-12 but on and after a cheat day I try for 14-16 to keep things flushed out.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at zig-zagging your calories, to factor in your cheat day?
    I kind of do this already. I concentrate more on a weekly calorie goal than a daily calorie goal, if that makes sense. Mostly because I net below 1200 at least twice a week. So that's why I take the cheat day on the weekends, to catch me back up.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Except mine showed up as 5 lbs! I'm sure it's water weight but it's not comIng off very quickly. It's been 4 days for one day of a couple bad choices!!!! Anyway, workout 2 times as hard and long and drink so much water you think you may get sick;(. Maybe even green tea to help get rid of some of the water retention. I'm trying to remember it's not Bout one weigh in, but the journey
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    To be 2 lbs of "fat" you would have needed to be 7000 calories over your maintenance so at least you know this isn't "real" weight gain. That means it is like the others have said and just water retention. So up your number of glasses a day. For example I normally aim for 10-12 but on and after a cheat day I try for 14-16 to keep things flushed out.
    I think I'm going to do this today. I usually get about 9-10 in, but I'm gonna go for a lot more for the next few days and hope that helps. Thanks!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I stopped cheat days/meals because they interfered with my weight loss - last year.

Now, I will occasionally eat at maintenance (1900-2000) calories, but that is rare (not more than 1x per month) and very carefully controlled. I also allow 1 week of eating at maintenance every 3 months, to help reset my metabolism and restore my leptin levels. It takes a couple weeks to start losing again however.

Eat less carbs, drink more water, eat more fiber. Get that cheat waste out of you.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    That is a GREAT idea! I never thought of that. I weigh on Thurday and cheat on Saturday so maybe I need to start weinging on Friday to deicde if I can cheat or not.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I also have a "cheat" day after I weigh in. I now enjoy my Wednesdays but I also think I will have to switch weigh in day because with summer and all the cook-outs on the weekends I think I will start weighing in on Fridays!! I use water to get it out plus work-out a bit harder on my cheat day. If the scale doesn't go down then I don't get a cheat day! Good luck!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Try to get in a little extra activity as well I'd say. Burning 1000 extra calories over a few days is feasible.