If everyday were like today you'd weigh....

Options
Has anyone's "if today were like today you'd weigh....", actually accurate? I'm new and have about 50lbs to loose. I like seeing that low # at the end of the day, but don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jburk627 wrote: »
    Has anyone's "if today were like today you'd weigh....", actually accurate? I'm new and have about 50lbs to loose. I like seeing that low # at the end of the day, but don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks in advance!

If every day were exactly like today, and if weight loss were actually linear, then it would likely be accurate. Unfortunately, weight loss is not linear. You may lose more weight one week, gain weight one week, or maintain one week. You just want to look for a general downward trend. Just log consistently and remain patient - you will get there! Here is an awesome thread on the subject:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Not for me because my exercise calories are inaccurate/inflated which makes the forecast inaccurate.
  • dann0944
    dann0944 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I marked my calander 5 weeks in advance 3 times for fun. The first mark, I was high by 3lbs. The second make I was below by 2lbs. The third mark, well I went camping and ate a lot of food and skewed everything thing for a few days. Alyssa's right though, look for a downward trend and don't sweat the spikes. I know I've done it, and it led to more stress than it is worth.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's not accurate.
    1. It's interpolating from one day's data.
    2. Weight loss is not linear
    3. Every day between now and five weeks from today won't be exactly the same.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    jburk627 wrote: »

Ignore it
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It isn't accurate, but I generally try to get that message to be 10 pounds less than my current weight every day that I log. I find that I tend to lose about 2 lbs/week (my goal rate) fairly consistently. It's great as a tool/motivator, but it should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is a guide. If I do a crapload of exercise on one day "if everyday were like today you'd weigh..." is going to be a lot lower then my sundays where I laze around watching netflix like a sloth LOL...no two days are going to be exactly the same.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I always like it when I exercise a ton and I get a really low weight showing up for five weeks hence. When I have a rest day or lower exercise I don't even bother "closing out" my entry because I don't want to see the (totally inaccurate) prediction.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I find it to be a great motivator. It's kind of fun. But do I believe it? Not a chance.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I find it to be a great motivator. It's kind of fun. But do I believe it? Not a chance.

Yep, same here.

It can be fun, but I don't rely on it for anything.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The operative word is IF. Reality is not every day is like today. Don't get upset if it isn't accurate for you but you should be seeing a downward trend.
  • Amunah
    Amunah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I track this prediction on my own spreadsheet: I started MFP at the end of January, and whilst 5 weeks in the prediction was on the low side, by week 6 I had caught up. Due to holidays, planned 'cheat' days and the 'woosh' effect (see other threads for this), I generally 'match' the prediction ONCE every 3 or 4 weeks, give or take a few ounces. I use it as just another tool to check progress, but I don't put too much reliance on it either way (good prediction or bad), as it is the general trend which matters most.
  • drivenbonkers
    drivenbonkers Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It isn't accurate, but I generally try to get that message to be 10 pounds less than my current weight every day that I log. I find that I tend to lose about 2 lbs/week (my goal rate) fairly consistently. It's great as a tool/motivator, but it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I amuse myself by jotting down the numbers on my calendar. As the days go by, I've found that the numbers 'forcasted' by MFP are within a couple of pounds of what my scales are showing. (my goal is to lose 1 - 1.5 lbs/week)

Purely for amusement, not guaranteed results. I've found it a useful tool, keeps me motivated.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It's not accurate.
    1. It's interpolating from one day's data.
    2. Weight loss is not linear
    3. Every day between now and five weeks from today won't be exactly the same.

QFT.

However. I'm an idiot. I log my exercise, but maybe eat back maybe a 1/3 of a calories? And I get a silly kick out of the number. Kind of that silly kick you get out of a fortune cookie. I put about as much stock in the MFP prediction as I'd put in a fortune cookie. It's just a bit of fun.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The majority of people just don't eat the exact same thing every day for 5 weeks and exercise the exact same amount every day for 5 weeks, and then there are the inaccuracies that might exist in your logging that the app won't know about. There is no way that that number can be expected to be spot on. It does give you some idea though that you are on the right track and will see good results going forward. Or maybe the predicted number will show that you might need to do better tomorrow to get more in line with what you want to achieve in the time period.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    When my "if every day were like today" gets higher, I get sad. VERY sad. :P

But I'll start tracking it, too, for fun!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I like the fortune cookie analogy. That's about it. :)
  • craigpom
    craigpom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unless your every day number for 5 weeks continues to track linearly, it will just be a reference. However the result doesn't deserve the beating up that it is getting on this thread. For me it has been a motivator to step up my programs, adding time or days to my exercise schedule and dropping a few calories that I don't really need. Results are that I have passed my original target weight loss and am now on the way toward the mid range of my target BMI. Have fun with the number.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I like the fortune cookie analogy. That's about it. :)

Love it too. Perfect analogy.