How to start a treadmill routine for the beginner

Options
Hi. I have a treadmill. I am looking for a beginning walking routine. I am short and very overweight. Where do I start? How many minutes and at what incline? My treadmill only has 3 built-in routines, but these are a bit too much for me. I start exercising for a while, but then give up. I need to make a habit out of it.

I also have an elliptical and will be posting the same question about it on another thread.

Replies

• wrrly
    wrrly Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat and used my new treadmill for the first time today.

And while I'm no expert, instincts are telling me to start easy. Using manual setting so that I could adjust as I felt I needed, I managed a good, sweat producing 30 minute workout at a fairly good speed. I also didn't fool with an incline, that I'll add later as I step up my workouts. My secret ingredient is listening to music that will help me keep my pace. I love dancing and moving to the beat.

Interested in other ppl's responces and guidance. Remember... baby steps!
  • gandysweet
    gandysweet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think it's just doing what you can and increasing your activity daily or weekly and sticking with it. Do as much as you can without being so sore that you can't do it again tomorrow. Aim maybe for 15 at a comfortable walking pace.
  • alejandro_08
    alejandro_08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If your trying to burn bf, the rule of thumb is walk or jog at a pace that you can talk comfortably outloud. If you get to a point where you need to gasp for air or take a break then most likely your working to hard. Write down the distanced walked or jog and the time it took to do it, and next time try to be a little faster!
  • Dosiedoe
    Dosiedoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. Good ideas.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that to get the treadmill to burn fat the same as a normal walk, you set the incline on 1.0. But for speed I would just do whatever is comfortable. Good luck!