Low Carb Sides

Options
J5414
J5414 Posts: 24 Member
I am looking for some side dishes with less carbs than my family is used to. We eat a lot of potatoes. I have cooked mashed cauliflower, my kids hate it. Any thoughts?

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Cook almost any veggie. Add cheese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Cook almost any veggie. Add cheese.

Yup. Leafy green vegetables.

Especially check out swiss chard, broccoli, zucchini...
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Take just about any vegetable, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle on salt, and roast in the oven at 425. The time will vary based on how dense the veggies are and how small the pieces are. Things like asparagus or broccoli florets 15 minutes or less, half a squash closer to 45 minutes or an hour.
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with JPW1990. Brussels sprouts cut 1/2 are great done that way. Asparagus, too! Another veggie I have fallen in love with is collard greens.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Baked Parmesan artichokes, broccoli au gratin, twice baked cauliflower...all DELICIOUS! You can look up the recipes on yummly.com (wonderful recipe site if you haven't ever checked it out).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    veggies...

by the by, is there a particular reason you are low carbing your family and yourself? I eat a lot of good quality carbohydrates...lentils, legumes, brown rice, potatoes/sweet potatoes, etc. I really wouldn't give those very nutritionally dense items up if I didn't have a very valid reason for doing so. this is also coming from someone who has had pre-diabetic blood glucose levels in the past...I still have issues when my diet gets a little too "junky"...but I've never had such issues eating all those other yummy things.

i don't know...I'm a big whole foods guy regardless of macro-nutrients.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's too bad that your kids didn't like the mashed cauliflower. Did you use plenty of butter, cream or cream cheese when you made it? It's not as nice without butter. :) You can also use leftover mashed cauliflower to make a nice cream of cauliflower soup. Cauliflower rice is nice. But if they are dead set against cauliflower, there's lots more low carb veggies you can use in side dishes: how about sauteed spinach? Baked spaghetti squash? Pumpkin sausage soup? Mashed turnips with butter, or cooked in lard? Add greens to your soups. Try different salads, with or without avocado, bacon crumbles, toasted sunflower seeds. The list goes on and on! Go to

forum.lowcarber.org

and explore for thousands of low carb recipes! HTH
  • J5414
    J5414 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did use lots of butter. My kids will eat it, they dont like it though. And Im not really trying to go low carb or no carb, just less carbs than I currently serve. I have realized lately we are a family that eats a lot of noodles and potatoes, and I am looking for alternatives.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    J5414 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I did use lots of butter. My kids will eat it, they dont like it though. And Im not really trying to go low carb or no carb, just less carbs than I currently serve. I have realized lately we are a family that eats a lot of noodles and potatoes, and I am looking for alternatives.

Have you tried shirataki noodles? Properly prepared (rinsed, boiled for one minute, drained, and then dry fried in a pan to remove excess moisture prior to adding a sauce) they are a nice noodle substitute. Also noodles made from zucchini are nice, as is spaghetti squash.

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx?refid=Google+Search+Brand+US+miracle noodle&gclid=CKKPgqryisYCFUtufgod6xQAHA

The folks at Miracle Noodle even have a free, downloadable recipe book using their product. My favorite is sesame or peanut noodles. :)

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Definitely try the roasting, then. It brings out the sweetness in them so they're not as bitter.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm lazy and prefer cooking on the stove-top, and baking takes a while, so I
    - boil asparagus, green beans, brussel sprouts - boil water, throw in the veg, cook six minutes. Instead of butter, I splash a bit of lemon juice over that.
    - sautee other stuff (zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, kale, swiss chard) in olive oil, with garlic and salt
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Sauteed portabello mushrooms are pretty tasty. Also eggplant.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

also if you leave the skin on potatoes, everyone's getting a bit more fiber, which is more filling. I like baby potatoes, because they have more skin than big potatoes. Parboil then roast or sautee (again with olive oil and garlic, or in a bit butter. Top with chopped parsley if you want to)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's what I suggest. Two sides. Reduce the heavy carb like noodles and potatoes to about 3/4 cup, and add a colorful vegetable where the big carb used to be. You can make the vegetables entertaining, like skewering them on a kabob, or include toothpicks to make broccoli creatures for instance. Or make a veggie pizza. Dips like Ranch or Cheese sauce can make them more attractive to children. My stepmom always had corn available as a side for fussy children. Corn is a little carb-high, but it's mild flavour is enjoyed by many children. I made a carrot waldorf salad that hubby asked for seconds on, and it is colorful on the plate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As everyone says, veggies. I typically have protein, a couple kinds of veggies, and a starch as sides at dinner. If I'm trying to cut carbs or calories I'll sub another veggie for the starch. Veggies that work especially well as subs for starches are winter squash (including but not limited to spaghetti squash) and all root veggies, like carrots, turnips, celeriac, beets, parsnips, etc. Brussels sprouts and green beans also work well. Adding a salad as well as a couple kinds of cooked veggies can also make you feel like you have a full variety of foods and lots of options without needing a starch.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Vegetables like everyone has already said -- either by themselves or used in combination with less potatoes, rice and pasta. But sauteing a green vegetable (like green beans) with some bacon, onion and garlic feels like a true side dish to me and not just another vegetable. Another idea is to add a white or cheese sauce or some panko that's been browned in butter.
  • asbjrc427
    asbjrc427 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Take just about any vegetable, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle on salt, and roast in the oven at 425. The time will vary based on how dense the veggies are and how small the pieces are. Things like asparagus or broccoli florets 15 minutes or less, half a squash closer to 45 minutes or an hour.

Try this with the cauliflower! Roasted cauliflower is really good!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles! Oodles of fun for the kids to make :)
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    - Roasted asparagus with olive oil and salt - if you cook it to crunchy, it tastes like junk food.

- If some of you are more low carb than others: do baked potatoes, scoop the flesh for the non low carbers, bake the skin a bit more with some olive oil for the low carbers.