Salads

Options
MadamPlum
MadamPlum Posts: 16 Member
I am just discovering the joys of having home-made salads for lunches. Suddenly my lunchtime calories have gone down from 500+ to 100 - 150.

However, to keep it from getting samey and dull, does anyone have any suggestions for good healthy salad ingredients other than the usual (lettuce, cucumber, peppers, etc).

Or indeed any good home-made recipes for healthy salad dressing (NON vinegar - can't stand the stuff! :) ).

Thank you!

Replies

• janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I love this, it's likely more than 150 calories, but still very good and worth it. (I can't imagine a 150 calorie lunch!)

1 cup romaine
    1 cup "power greens" (spinach, kale, dark stuff)
    3oz cooked chicken breast
    1T black beans
    1T corn
    Salsa
    Lime Wedge

Usually, the salsa and lime wedge are juicy enough that I don't need dressing. I like this light southwestern ranch from Kroger but its pretty junky so I don't use it very often.

Also consider (if calories allow)
    shredded cheese
    avocado
    a few crumbled tortilla chips
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Mark Bittman (a writer for the NYT) has 101 Summer Salad recipes. I made a few and they were delicious. nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I love shepherd's salad. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shepherds-salad.html

Here is a creamy cucumber dressing. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/creamy-cucumber-dressing.html
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I usually have chicken in my salad, so the dressing I make is a taco dressing. I use 1tsp of taco seasoning and 1TBS of taco sauce with a couple ounces of water. It has 17 calories, 3 carbs, 1g of sugar. I make it right in the pan I cook my chicken in, but I don't see why you couldn't just mix it in a bowl if you like the taco flavor. I do let it thicken a bit in the pan, so If you're not going to heat it up, maybe use less water.
  • MadamPlum
    Options
    Thanks guys! Like the look of the cucumber dressing...
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Saute some onion slices and garlic for a little crunch and color.
    Throw in some kale and/or spinach with the onion and garlic
    Toss into a bowl. I like to chop the greens small.
    Add some small-chopped sweet peppers (I like them raw, but you could toss them around the saute, too)
    Something like raisins or craisins and/or carrot
    Orange slices
    A drizzle of ginger dressing
    I'll sometimes add canned tuna, or hard boiled egg to this.
  • MadamPlum
    Options
    Ah, the canned tuna sounds like a good idea, thanks! I really like the kale idea, I tried some for the first time a while ago and its lovely sauted, you can really bulk up on it too
  • cctayon
    cctayon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to do spinach and berries (any combination of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc)salads. I have a sweet tooth and this helps to keep my cravings down. I usually top with a light berry vinaigrette (It's sweet) can add seeds and nuts as calories allow.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Artichoke hearts, corn and grilled veggies such as eggplant, zucchini, asparagus and pumpkin are great to switch up your veggies and pack flavor. Protein wise I love prawns, beef, chicken, tuna and smoked mackerel or trout. Beans are great too! Fruit such as apple and mango is nice and refreshing in summer. Goat cheese and feta work wonderfully well in salads also. Dressing wise, I like using lemon juice with mustard, orange juice with harissa, soy sauce with sesame seeds or yoghurt with fresh herbs.
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Spring Mix
    Flaxseed Oil
    Red Quinoa

All in that order. Enjoy.
  • MadamPlum
    Options
    Thanks Kim, I like the sound of that dressing. Hadn't thought of quinoa, it's very popular at the moment.