Just found out I'm diabetic. Any others out there? So much to learn...........

Options
Looking for ideas facts etc

Replies

• shay2689
    shay2689 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am pre diabetic
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Looking for ideas facts etc

There is a great group with lots of information, ideas, etc. It helped me when I was first diagnosed. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Soooooo much to learn! That's not an understatement. There's a lot of good info out there for losing weight while diabetic. One piece of advice: While cutting calories and carbs a bit is probably fine, don't go on any major crash diets without consulting your doctor. (e.g. dangerously low-carb, cabbage soup, etc...) You could end up experiencing some problems if you throw yourself into too drastic a change while your doctor is still balancing your medication.
  • Sho0gy_D
    Sho0gy_D Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as diabetic also.
  • go4me1
    go4me1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic but add me if ya want
  • pjmom65
    pjmom65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just found out yesterday I am diabetic
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    For all of you who have just been recently diagnosed, the best advice I can give is to take advantage of all resources offered by your healthcare provider and insurance company. Consult with a certified diabetic educator and a registered dietician. Take any classes offered. Many GP's and internists are very good but not all of them keep up on the most recent research specific to diabetes so seeing someone who specializes in diabetic care can be really helpful. Read everything you can (but do it with a grain of salt and keep your BS detector on high). Diabetes.org and Bloodsugar 101 (http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/ ) are very helpful, balanced resources.

• Starsel
    Starsel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Being a Diabetic is no joke, its hard work. Aim for a healthy diet, watch the amount of cabs you eat, the sugar you consume. Read the labels. Look at 100g not much higher then 5 to 6g in sugar. Dont be fooled by low fat products as they are high in sugar. Dont drink juice or juice fruit. Also some fruits contain more higher natural sugar then others. eat smaller meals more often. Dont skip meals. Soft drink unles diet have loads of sugar in them. There's a lot to learn, living with it can be done if your careful. Good luck
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Become one with your meter. Use it frequently. When I finally took control of my diabetes I tested 8-10 times a day. Fasting, before meals, and hour after meals, 2 hours after meals, and before going to bed. After a few months of doing this, I learned a lot about how certain foods affected my blood sugar levels. I adjusted portion sizes on some things, and totally cut out others (like white bread, white rice, fruit juices). I made sure my carb choices were from whole grains, legumes, etc. It hasn't been easy, but I've lost 110 pounds, and my A1c is now at 5.6, and I no longer take insulin. Remember, there is no cure for diabetes, only control. As long as I keep doing what I've been doing the last 4 years, I'll be able to stay off the meds. Run far and fast from anyone who says their diet or supplement can cure or reverse diabetes. Good luck and God bless. Add me if you'd like. I'm always willing to help and encourage others on this path.
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1.5 and have been diagnosed for about 6 years now. My diagnosis hit me like a brick to the face. It was even harder when I was put on insulin. Oh, how much I've learned since then! There are a few things that I'll definitely recommend:

1. Know how YOU react to foods. Monitor your sugars 1 hour after you eat for a good indicator. Eat chicken and broccoli. Test. Next time, eat chicken and corn. Test. You'll learn what foods are your triggers, and how they affect you.
    2.Carbs are sometimes even more deadly than sugar. Carbs are broken down into glucose, which is then filtered and/or stored in your blood. While logging your foods, look at the carb count of things. You may be surprised sometimes what has a lot of carb and what doesn't. I know I went through a "shock" phase!
    3. Best advice I can give you: call an endocrinologist. Your family doctor will be well versed in diabetes, BUT an endo is SO much more and will be able to really give you the best direction needed. They'll be able to give you a plan to follow, and may be able to recommend a diabetic nutritionist to see to help you learn how to make healthy changes in your life. My plan, for example, is to stay under 30 carbs per meal, and under 15 carbs per snack. Others may have a little more, or even less. It really all depends on YOU.

Overall, diabetes gives you the power to love and truly take care of yourself. I never know how or what that meant until I was diagnosed and really had to do so. Best of luck to you on this new journey! Feel free to add me/message me any questions that you have.