How to create an elliptical routine for the beginner

Options
Hello. I have an elliptical without the arms. (I really do not like this elliptical because it does not have the arm movement. I let the salesman talk me into this one). I am short and very overweight. Where do I start? What incline? What speed? For how long? There are several programmed routines, but they are too much for me right now. I don't have any exercise endurance at this point. I need a routine I can stick to. Is there a gradual daily or weekly chart to go by? I want to do this right. I tend to start and then give up. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• gandysweet
    gandysweet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer an elliptical without the arms. I tend to stay on this type a lot longer. I prefer a high incline because it feels like less impact. The speed just needs to be whatever is comfortable to you, you should be able to speak still and have a comfortable breathing pattern. I'd start low on speed. The elliptical will be easer than the treadmill in the beginning so put on a movie or music and go as long as you can.
  • Dosiedoe
    Dosiedoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks gandysweet. I've heard people say they like the elliptical without the arms but never knew why.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical 5 days a week, 2 days with out the arms and 3 days with arms, and also walk the treadmill 2 days. Just something I do, no reason. I also use a Polar activity/ HRM which displays my heart rate on the elliptical and also give me tracking data. I use the cardio setting and the levels are adjusted by where I want to keep my heart rate. IE: I set it to 134/138 I start at 100 bpm, it will adjust all the way to level 10 before I reach my level, then adjust back down to keep me there. If I reach 145 bpm and it can't adjust down anymore, it will tell me to slow down to bring it back down.

These are the guidelines I started using when I got my HRM before that I don't think I was really making a difference.
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. hit the big green button
    2. move
    3. when exhausted or bored to death, stop moving
    4. repeat several times per week, as needed
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I also prefer the elliptical with arms. But since you dont have access to one, you'll have to work with what you have. When i first started, i started small . I put it on level two or three and gradually increased the resistance as i went on. What seems difficult at the beginning will soon become not too hard so you'll know that you need to increase some. Play around with it and you'll see where your comfortable with starting. Just get going and do it ! :smile:

At first i could only do ten mins on level two before i felt like i was going to cry. After a few months i was able to do thirty mins on level eight. You can do it too !! Just get moving
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    1. hit the big green button
    2. move
    3. when exhausted or bored to death, stop moving
    4. repeat several times per week, as needed

This !!!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    An elliptical with no arms helps to work the core but you may have some problems with balance in the beginning. I agree with the posters above that you should hit the green button (or what ever and start). However, based on everything else you said, try to do at least 10 minutes. While trying to do 10 minutes, identify the settings that will help you do that. That would be a good starting base for you. Then you can start increasing it to 20, 30 minutes. When it gets too easy, you can increase the resistance and incline. At that point, you will have a better idea of what the next steps should be.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    An elliptical with no arms helps to work the core

This. Holding on to the arms actually decreases the amount of work you have to do. It's better to swing your arms slightly as you would do when you walk or jog. If you want some more arm involvement, you could hold on to cans/bottles/dumbbells.
  • chami1013
    chami1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Dosiedoe wrote: »
    Hello. I have an elliptical without the arms. (I really do not like this elliptical because it does not have the arm movement. I let the salesman talk me into this one). I am short and very overweight. Where do I start? What incline? What speed? For how long? There are several programmed routines, but they are too much for me right now. I don't have any exercise endurance at this point. I need a routine I can stick to. Is there a gradual daily or weekly chart to go by? I want to do this right. I tend to start and then give up. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for posting this! I normally do the treadmill and now can walk on a 8% incline. Everyone keeps telling me the elliptical is so much fun and looks rather easy, but I've gave it a try and couldn't last more than 5 minutes on the lowest level of speed and resistance. I want to conquer the elliptical too but I'll work my way up! We have to push ourselves to gain endurance!
  • Dosiedoe
    Dosiedoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    DavPul, you crack me up! I got a good laugh at how you said that. Thank you all for posting. I got some good ideas and am going to put them to use.
  • Leslie19712015
    Leslie19712015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble with my feet going numb on the elliptical. I have tried different shoes and where I put my feet. The last 10 mins of the 30min program are almost unbearable. Anyone else have this problem or know the answer to preventing it?