adding foods/calories not in database

Options
fitchriis
fitchriis Posts: 14 Member
Hi, I started using this ap today and already hit a snag, I wanted to put down that I had a soya fruit yoghurt at breakfast, on the container it states 170 calories but when I search the database to put it in, none of the options for this brand (Stoneyfield organic fruit at the bottom O'Soy) gives 170 calories, they are all much less - is there any way I can manually put in food descriptions and calories? otherwise I don't think this will be easy for me to use. Thanks Chrissy

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Yes... You can add new foods to the database. I'm not sure whether you're using Android or iPhone, but in the Android app you can go to "Recipes and Foods" on the menu and add new foods from there.
  • Gaflgal61
    Gaflgal61 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the barcode scanner when I can't find what I'm looking for or if I'm in a hurry. On your smart phone, when you go to Add Food, right next to the search field is a barcode, hit this and it will let you scan the barcode of the item you are wanting to add.
  • fitchriis
    Options
    Yes... You can add new foods to the database. I'm not sure whether you're using Android or iPhone, but in the Android app you can go to "Recipes and Foods" on the menu and add new foods from there.

Thanks, I will play around with that. I just found this particular item - there was a choice of size I hadn't noticed.
  • fitchriis
    Options
    Gaflgal61 wrote: »
    I use the barcode scanner when I can't find what I'm looking for or if I'm in a hurry. On your smart phone, when you go to Add Food, right next to the search field is a barcode, hit this and it will let you scan the barcode of the item you are wanting to add.

Thanks, I have started using on my Mac, I'll download on my iphone now, that'll make it much easier :)
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This happens a lot, because the same product can come in different serving sizes. You can either enter a new food, or you can do some simple math(s). I try to choose entries that are based on 100 grams, because then the calculations are easy. BUT - Make sure when you're comparing the label to the entries here that you're comparing the same thing. For example: maybe the entry on MFP is based on one serving, but your label only contained info for the whole pot. If you know how many servings are in your pot then you just multiply. Hope that helps. ;) It takes some time to figure out and get your most frequently used foods set up.

PS - I don't bother to enter every flavor of yogurt. I eat the same brand all the time and the calories vary too little from one flavor to the next to bother with cluttering my diary. Instead, I enter one flavor and use the same entry over and over. I know that the cals might go up or down by 5-10 each time but it's not a big deal to me. Some folks are more strict, but this helps keep my diary uncluttered.
  • fitchriis
    Options
    This happens a lot, because the same product can come in different serving sizes. You can either enter a new food, or you can do some simple math(s). I try to choose entries that are based on 100 grams, because then the calculations are easy. BUT - Make sure when you're comparing the label to the entries here that you're comparing the same thing. For example: maybe the entry on MFP is based on one serving, but your label only contained info for the whole pot. If you know how many servings are in your pot then you just multiply. Hope that helps. ;) It takes some time to figure out and get your most frequently used foods set up.

PS - I don't bother to enter every flavor of yogurt. I eat the same brand all the time and the calories vary too little from one flavor to the next to bother with cluttering my diary. Instead, I enter one flavor and use the same entry over and over. I know that the cals might go up or down by 5-10 each time but it's not a big deal to me. Some folks are more strict, but this helps keep my diary uncluttered.

Thank you :smile: That sounds good advice, you're right 10 calories here or there shouldnt make much difference especially as the calories we use is not going to be that accurate as don't put in every physical action we do (eg walking up and down stairs a lot because I've forgotten something) I started this in 2012 and didn't keep it up because it seemed too complicated, my weight has gone up and down since then but when I just restarted this, it was only 1 pound more than my last log in 3 years before - still need to lose that extra 12/14 pounds I'm carrying so am determined to stick with this from now on.
    Thanks
    Chrissy