Vacation!!!

Options
With summer months comming up, I was wondering how everyone handles vacation??? I would love eating tips, and also how others have handled logging in with limited access to a computer. I don't have a phone with internet access. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Keep a notebook with you for logging foods and exercise. You don't have to know the calories, just what you ate and approximate portions.
  • KaytiGirl
    KaytiGirl Posts: 11
    Options
    Do you have an iphone? I have the myfitnesspal app which allows you to log on the go! SUPER helpful :)
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doubling your water intake consciencely!! Eat as low sodium as you can. Ask restaurants to make food w/ o extra salt. Still have your treats but log them in a notebook. Have fun! We do MFP so we can enjoy life more:)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    When I followed Body for Life, I never tracked a single calorie. As long as you keep track of your portion sizes, and have learned how to eat clean, it can be done. Plan your meals ahead of time if you can. It should be easier.
  • ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink extra water. And I always try to be active in different ways on vacations. We walk A LOT when we travel...so that helps some. I also attempt to eat 2 lighter meals and splurge on the third. For example, we went to Mexico for our honeymoon and I would have the fruit and bread at our cabana for breakfast (with some AMAZING coffee), we would split fish tacos (or something similar) for lunch and then splurge on dinner.

My problem with vacation is the drinking!

I also assume I won't lose weight on vacation - I just try to maintain. And enjoy!!! What is the point of vacation if you are stressed out the whole time about food!
  • CapnWain
    CapnWain Posts: 10
    Options
    Vacations are tough. While I'm pretty good about watching foods/calories at home during a normal week, when I go on vacation, I want to have a good time, which includes good food/wine/beer/booze.

I was in rehab when we went to Italy and my dietician told me to take a cooler with fruit and stuff to eat instead of eating at restuarants. Seriously? I'm gonna be in Italy and you want me to eat a packed lunch? I don't think so. Moderation and portion control, yes. Abstinence, no.

Without Internet or smartphone, you could just keep a little notebook of what and how much. Eat light and healthy when possible and for the special meals/occasions just be mindful of portion control but still enjoy yourself.

When we're at the coast, I try to eat light breakfast and lunch and save all the calories for booze and dinner (not the best diet plan but hey, I'm on vacation).
  • lazyNhungry
    Options
    I agree with keeping a hand written log and then you can update your diary once you have internet access. Order off the low cal parts of menus and avoid the quick food stands at the park. None of that fried food! Order lettuce wraps instead of buns. Stuff like that. And keep track of all that walking you'll be doing!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    When I am on vacation, I eat what I want. :devil:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    When I am on vacation, I eat what I want. :devil:

I did that this last weekend. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get back to what I weighed two weeks ago. If you are ok with that, do it. The whole Idea is getting healthier, and following something you can do the rest of your life. Vacation is a vacation to me, and I don't worry about my diet, or losing weight at the time, but some people have goals to reach certain amounts of weight loss in a specific period of time, and it will slow your chances of reaching those goals in the time you may want.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just my personal tips that worked for me on my last vacation. First time trying them and they seemed useful. Definitely more for someone early on in the game.

Plan, plan, plan, plan. Since we all agree that enjoying vacation is most important, make sure you plan for stuff before going. Knowing popular restaurants in the area you are going and planning some healthy menu options so you have them ready to go in your mind. Or know the area. For example, you are going somewhere that has mostly Italian foods, maybe look into the healthier pasta options or something like that. I was at a hotel with buffets and I researched healthy buffet options. Something like that.

Track what you eat. Even if you go over, it’s good to know what and how you are eating. Developing eating patterns helps in your overall journey of understanding your triggers and making better choices.

Find the gym. Really! I hate gyms….I get very self conscious and worry about what others think of me so I hardly go. But on vacations no one really goes to the gym. So find the hotel or cruise gym (usually free) and take a visit there. Even if you are just testing new machines, using the big mirrors to work on form or walking on the treadmill etc. it’s better than nothing.

Walk. Most places I go involves a lot of site seeing. So I tend to walk more on vacation to get in some workout. So rather than taking a cab somewhere see if you can walk (comfortably) of course. Last vacation we walked the boardwalk on the beach. When I went home and checked it turned out to be 2 miles!

Hope that helps.
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation in 3 weeks and I'm so worried that I'm going to just let go completely and eat whatever I see.