Super frustrated

Options
I've been exercising/eating healthy since last December. I'm 43, 5'4" and weigh 130 lbs. Since that time, I almost always stay under 1200 calories per day and I exercise from 3-5 days a week. I've only lost 10 lbs and I'm a just not getting the results I want. I rarely overeat, but I do allow myself a cheat day(within reason)usually on the weekends. I am eating probably the most healthy I ever have in my life and I haven't exercised this much since high school. I am pear shaped. My upper torso is very thin, but I have large thighs and backside. I also struggle with "mommy pooch". I've had several surgeries and have a lot of loose skin hanging off my stomach. It just doesn't seem fair that I'm working this had and have only lost 10 lbs. I do feel that I've lost inches, but I've never had this much trouble before, not sure if it's because I'm getting older or what? I go to Planet a Fitness and I walk and jog on the treadmill and also walk uphill. Each time I use 5 different machines, 3 leg and 2 arm. I try to switch things up and do something different on the treadmill and use different machines each day. I also occasionally use the elliptical, stationary bike and stair stepper. I work out for about an hour each time. I also switch up my diet so I'm not always eating the same foods. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? My main goal is to be tone. I really want a flat stomach and to tone down my thighs, I care about that lot more than losing pounds. Please don't criticize me for being small-I realize most people will think I'm thin enough and should be happy with where I am. I know that I am making healthy choices and it makes me feel bad when people tell me that. I am not anorexic, not even close and I can't stand it when people say, "you're thin enough, you need to stop." I came here for help because I'm hoping someone has gone thru the same thing and can give me advice. I'm tired of being treated bad by people who are jealous of me being thin. When the time comes and I have grandkids, I want to have plenty of energy to play with them and live long enough to enjoy spending time with them. If anyone has any tips to pass along I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to re-evaluate some of your goals.

First, at 5'4 130 is in the normal range of 110 to 144 lbs (https://www.rush.edu/health-wellness/quick-guides/what-is-a-healthy-weight). I don't think you need to worry so much about losing weight now being within the normal range.

All of your exercises are cardio based, have you considered picking up a beginners heavy lifting program to put on some muscle? It's not enough to just lose fat, you godda put on some muscle too to achieve that "toned" look. Consider reviewing a few posts here on MFP about lifting for women, that'll help you get the results from you want.
  • kerrbearxxx
    kerrbearxxx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What really works for me is cutting out bread for a few days and upping my water consumption, pilates and yoga have worked for me also in toning up, I am same as you only a little to lose but it does get frustrating so I hear ya. best of luck :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting to lift HEAVY weights. That will shape your body. Check out new rules of lifting for women or strong curves. I've done new rules and it's amazing and am starting strong curves in June. And do not fret, you will NOT get big and man-bulky. Pick up heavy things and you will see a transformation in your body.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You need to do less cardio and eat more. Yes. I mean it. Don't be afraid to eat. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. You aren't exactly doing the correct exercise to "tone-up." If you want more energy you need more food and to build muscle you need more food. If you want more information or suggestions you can add me.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My guesses: Your weight is already quite ideal, so it would be pretty slow and difficult to drop further. However, since you are interested in toning and shaping, I'd suggest using much heavier resistance on your fitness machines, though I don't know what they are. I believe that you need to be lifting/moving as much weight as you can, while keeping form, to see a change. You might consider emphasizing those "machines" versus your cardio (do both, but less cardio and more strength). Maybe invest in a personal trainer for a while if this is so important to you. A much cheaper suggestion is to try some of the popular DVDs that people on MFP recommend. Personally, I like Jillian Michael's circuits - I think that you'd start to see some definition and toning with her 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30; I have the latter.

Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying about lifting. Also, at this point, you are really trying to recomp more than lose weight, so CICO is only going to be part of the picture. You are at a point where you may want to focus more on hitting specific macros.
  • katnatmomma
    katnatmomma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. Heavy weights as in free weights or more weights on the machines I'm using? Or both? Any way to avoid being so sore?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. Heavy weights as in free weights or more weights on the machines I'm using? Or both? Any way to avoid being so sore?

Depends on what you have access to, I prefer free weights like The Dumbbell Stopgap when I don't have access to a gym (The Dumbbell Stopgap program for beginners- Google it). If you have access to a squat rack i strongly recommend strong lifts 5x5 which is another great beginners program.

Since you haven't been lifting you might be a little sore after your first workout DOMS, but you shouldn't be in constant pain everytime you work out. Focus on light weight for now (light means relative you you, don't worry about what others lift) and focus purely on your form. Once your comfortable slowly move up in increments of 5 lbs.

New rules for lifting for women is a great resource on this site, check it out.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ladybg81 wrote: »
    I would suggest starting to lift HEAVY weights. That will shape your body. Check out new rules of lifting for women or strong curves. I've done new rules and it's amazing and am starting strong curves in June. And do not fret, you will NOT get big and man-bulky. Pick up heavy things and you will see a transformation in your body.

This! I work out with an IFBB and body builders don't look that bulky when not in competition phase. My wife just started lifting and amazed at the transformation on those areas she never felt confident about.
  • drealee126
    drealee126 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I turned 42 years old in December and eat a mostly gluten free diet because of an intolerance. When I first discovered I was having issues (at 40), I dropped a lot of weight because I was afraid of ALL carbs and didn't want to spend the money on the gluten free products. A lot of chicken, fish, and egg whites, and fruits and vegetables. But then started experiencing "over acid" production in my stomach because grains contain protein digesting enzymes. Without the grains, my stomach was overworking itself to digest the high protein content of my diet. So I went full force into the GF grains. Without wheat as a binder, the GF products add a lot of fat to get things to "stick" and "packed" on 15 lbs to my 5'4" 115 lb frame. Time to cut those out!

I was feeling sluggish with my extra 15 lbs and found it difficult to find time in my busy life for exercise. I figured running around with my kids should have been enough. I expressed my concerns to my doctor, regarding my weight, but did get reminded that my historical weight chart has me in the 120-130 lbs range and it may be more of a toning issue than a weight issue.

However, I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid in March. No matter how healthy I am eating, cutting calories, staying away from processed foods, my thyroid was not going to allow me to lose weight, since the thyroid controls metabolism. I am now on medication for the rest of my life.

In the past 3 weeks, I have forced myself to find the time to exercise, used My Fitness Pal to get a controlled diet in place, and have lost 3 lbs in the past two weeks. The medication is now assisting where my under active thyroid could not, but the diet and exercise have now jump started my weight loss.

Maybe ask your doctor about thyroid testing? Many people do not know they have issues with their thyroid until they are tested. It's worth a shot if you feel you are at a plateau.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Avoid machines if you can.
    You should look into starting strength, stronglifts, or new rules of lifting for women.
    Since you are not lifting now you will get sore when you first start. Likely the morning after your first workout. It's called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). They'll disappear without a week or two and you will rarely be sore afterwards (or at least that's the case with me).
  • katnatmomma
    katnatmomma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have thought for years I have a thyroid issue, but not because of weight loss. I have bouts of severe hair loss, fatigue and skin issues. I've been tested twice and it came back fine. I prob should be tested again to make sure. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Definitely going to look into weight lifting.
  • Mmd1929
    Mmd1929 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    katnatmomma...I too was tested for thyroid and the numbers came back fine, but I had almost all the symptoms and after YEARS, finally found a doctor who said, "Maybe your body just wants more...." and put me on thyroid meds, very low dose. She's increased it twice and I've lost the first 5 lbs I've been able to lose in over 5 years! So, you may have to go in search of the right doctor.