Garden! How many of you grow your own food?

Options
I have had a garden the past 3 years. I make my own teas and cleaning supplies around the house. Tell me what you have grown and enjoyed.

I love my brussel sprouts and asparagus. Kale and rasberries and blackberries

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't have any place to garden currently. My mom, however, does. After having stuff out of her garden, all the produce I get at the grocery store pales in comparison!

She usually plants cucumbers, kohlrabi (a relative of the cabbage. SO good raw!), green beans, and I think she tried watermelon last year. She also has some new additions to her garden this year, so looks like I need to head home to see what I will be claiming from her garden this summer. :)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I love growing my own veggies. I like to stick to the ones that are easy to grow: squashes, tomatoes, cukes, beans... But the dear got to my garden the other day and ate a bunch of my plants! I put some Dear Scram on them yesterday and hope they'll survive :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I only do herbs right now.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I grow herbs (basil, dill, and mint), cucumbers, and tomatoes. Some years I grow green beans and squash, but I've had to relocate my garden plot this summer, as the old one's dirt is spent.
  • NickyChafer
    NickyChafer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, tomatoes and chilli all in pots
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have a big garden (hence the big calorie burn hauling 3 truckloads of compost today)! We grow cherries, peaches, apples, rhubarb, plums, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, grapes and Carolina pineberries. Veggies include kohlrabi, asparagus, squash, beets, eggplant, peppers (green, sweet, hot), potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and cukamelons! Oh, and an herb garden. Plus about a bizillion flowers and over 75 potted arrangements!
    We also have 14 chickens and 2 ducks, so fresh eggs daily!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't have any place to garden currently. My mom, however, does. After having stuff out of her garden, all the produce I get at the grocery store pales in comparison!

She usually plants cucumbers, kohlrabi (a relative of the cabbage. SO good raw!), green beans, and I think she tried watermelon last year. She also has some new additions to her garden this year, so looks like I need to head home to see what I will be claiming from her garden this summer. :)

She has fresh thyme, oregano, carrots, peas, watermelon, radishes, and carrots as well this year! Oh, I am going to have a field day this summer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have two rows at my community garden. I put in lots of carrots. Also coming are radishes, lettuce, pumpkin, zucchini, turnip, and potato.

Near my kitchen I have dill, thyme, parsley, and chives. Fresh chives in my eggs through the summer.
  • shuskey4200
    shuskey4200 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    I have a big garden (hence the big calorie burn hauling 3 truckloads of compost today)! We grow cherries, peaches, apples, rhubarb, plums, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, grapes and Carolina pineberries. Veggies include kohlrabi, asparagus, squash, beets, eggplant, peppers (green, sweet, hot), potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and cukamelons! Oh, and an herb garden. Plus about a bizillion flowers and over 75 potted arrangements!
    We also have 14 chickens and 2 ducks, so fresh eggs daily!

wow that sounds amazing!!! I would love to have chickens for eggs, great protein in the morning. This year I have alot of new plants. Im loving the work i do outside, better than house work lol
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have tomatoes, squash, zucchini, okra, cucumbers, & peppers I also have blueberries & blackberries
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment in the city so I just have container gardens. One box with Basil Dill, lettuce and chives and another with two kinds of tomatoes and a pepper plant. This is my second year in this apartment and I look forward to expanding my container garden over time.
  • magnitudeofmycommitment
    Options
    I have a container garden, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, watermellon, pumpkin, a few herbs and flowers. I planted mammoth sunflowers today in hopes of attracting the beneficial insects....like bees!
  • foxy59lady
    foxy59lady Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've been gardening most of my adult life and I have a huge garden here in Michigan. I have green beans, cucumbers, beets, sweet corn, asparagus, lots of tomato plants, peppers, (green, red, jalapeño and Poblano), potatoes, parsnips, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, acorn squash, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and rhubarb. Oh, and lots of herbs. I might have missed something but that covers most of it. I also maintain a beautiful flower garden. Plenty of exercise all summer long. I can or freeze most of my veggies to use all winter and believe me it gets cold here. Nothing like knowing where all your food comes from. For those that haven't tried it yet I highly recommend starting small and you will love it.
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a vegetable garden every year. What we don't eat fresh we either can or freeze. Believe it or not we are just finishing up last years veggies. We plant corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, potatoes, red onions, sweet onions, green onions, garlic, carrots, celery, three types of lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, cabbage, and brussal sprouts. The herbs we have are mint, basil, thyme, chives, and rosemary. Oh and everything is organic. I love gardening!
  • RobertDupuy
    RobertDupuy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to grow is cucumbers because they are easy so the success encouraged me ... I have about 30 cucumber plants that are going to absolutely flood me with way too many.... Also do tomatoes and herbs like mint and basil. I will get just a few bell peppers and occasionally a melon or pumpkin will grow because I toss food into the garden over the winter and there is no telling what will sprout in my chaotic garden
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    I have an apple tree, a pear, used to have peaches before they all died (old age), pawpaws, native sweet cherries, mulberries, and blackberries on my property.

We don't get to eat any of them. Too much wildlife!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    My favorite thing to grow is cucumbers because they are easy so the success encouraged me ... I have about 30 cucumber plants that are going to absolutely flood me with way too many.... Also do tomatoes and herbs like mint and basil. I will get just a few bell peppers and occasionally a melon or pumpkin will grow because I toss food into the garden over the winter and there is no telling what will sprout in my chaotic garden

That....is....a LOT of pickles.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Herbs mostly at the moment.
    I need to put a box in the front yard for the sun but I would love to grow my own salad greens, bokchoy, broccoli, zucchinis. I tried tomatoes but they didn't happen for me :(
    I would love to grow melons in summer but I just don't have the room.