Which C25K to choose???

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
I've never been a runner in my life. I don't know if it matters, but I carry most of my weight in my bottom half. I like my big butt though. LOL Just saying. I want sexy legs along with losing some chunk.

ANYWAY...

I was gonna print off a couch 2 5k program to start. Then I noticed they're not all created equal.

Hmmm...I don't know which one to choose. I want to choose one that is doable so I'll stick with it. I also want something that I'll see some results.

Help me choose?

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I use the app from bluefin... and then I also have their bridge to 10k for the 6 weeks after that :bigsmile:

Look at them all and see which one looks like it would work for you. It is about what you will stick with and see through to the end.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to what I printed just have not started on....

http://couchto5ktraining.com/couch-to-5k-schedule
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There are different ones???
    Interesting, How are they different?
    I just started the one last week that I could install on my iPhone... I like how it times everything & tells me when to start & stop.
    Honestly tho, because we are non runners, any of these I'm sure will help us achieve our goals of being able to run longer distances.... I'm sure which ever one you chose, you'll see results in your lower half... ;)
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I use the schedule from www.c25k.com and then download MP3s with the walk/run prompts. If you search, there are a ton of them out there.

Good luck!!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were different ones. Everyone I know (myself included) have used this one....

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I use a similar thing (5k101), I just liked the podcasts for that one better. I think it's just a personal preference if you're downloading a podcast or an app -- what voice/music do you want to listen to while you're running?
  • ojell
    Options
    There are different ones???
    Interesting, How are they different?
    I just started the one last week that I could install on my iPhone... I like how it times everything & tells me when to start & stop.
    Honestly tho, because we are non runners, any of these I'm sure will help us achieve our goals of being able to run longer distances.... I'm sure which ever one you chose, you'll see results in your lower half... ;)

They basically all seem to have the same idea, but different times for the walking, joggin, running. Know what I mean?
  • ojell
    Options
    I had no idea there were different ones. Everyone I know (myself included) have used this one....

How much weight did you lose? How soon did you see results?

I started this one last year sometime, but I didn't stick to it. ugh! I HAVE to do it this time!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I found this link - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    I hope it helps.
  • ojell
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Im about to start it too. I didnt realize there were different run/walk times. I know theres a ton of apps. Thats what im currently looking for.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I downloaded this podcast - it's a "homemade" one. The music is awesome and she chimes in to tell you when to walk and when to run so you don't have to time yourself. She also has a bridge to 8k you can download after you complete the first one.

http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options

How much weight did you lose? How soon did you see results?

I started this one last year sometime, but I didn't stick to it. ugh! I HAVE to do it this time!

I lost 60 pounds the first time I did C25K - BUT it wasn't because of C25k - it was because of my eating habits. Weight loss is 90% what you eat. In one bout of C25k, you'll only burn about 250-350 calories or so and that is pushing it on your walks. What I got more than losing weight is stamina and cardiovascular health. C25K was a springboard to running 1/2 marathons for me. But, it's not a magic pill. I'll tell you in some ways it makes it harder to lose weight because you are hungrier the longer you run (and not in proportion to the calories you burn).

So, if you are doing it just to lose weight - I'd suggest something else. Sure, it won't hurt, but it's probably not the most effective 30 minutes of your time especially if you don't like it. I'd do circuit training instead. But, if you enjoy running (even if it is just after the fact and not during), are looking for a long term hobby and want cardio vascular health ---- there really is nothing better then C25K to get you started.
  • tastigger
    tastigger Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks for this topic - I too was wondering which one I wanted to start. I am recovering from an ankle injury so I am extra concerned. What iphone apps are people using?
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Thanks for this topic - I too was wondering which one I wanted to start. I am recovering from an ankle injury so I am extra concerned. What iphone apps are people using?

The one I have is from bluefin software. If you search for 'c25k' in the appstore it's the first one I believe.