new here, 24y/o female, 1500 calories a day is my goal...i have random questions??

jcompto
jcompto Posts: 5 Member
Hey all
I really hope to get involved in the discussions here, and gain/offer support.

My first question is--
If you're under your calories for the day, is it super bad to munch on say, M&Ms, I never go over my calories, but I still feel like its wrong.

My Second question is where do ya'll shop for healthy/organic foods? I am scared of GMO's and all that, but on a limited budget. I live near food lion (baltimore store) & a giant grocery, safeway is always like 15mins away. Can we even trust the "organic" section of these groceries to be truely organic?

oxoxox-J

Replies

• JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    I can help you with the first question, but not the second, because to be honest, I don't eat much 'healthy/organic' foods and have lost over 30 pounds already.

With that being said, it's not bad to munch on M&Ms, but I wouldn't make it a daily thing. Yes, weight loss is calories in verse calories out, but too much of a bad thing is just that, too much of a bad thing. If you love your chocolate, try switching to a dark chocolate which is slightly healthier. If you need more calories, try adding protein to your diet. I would say limit it to 3 times per week, even if it's within your calorie limit. But, i'm not a nutritionist, just a fellow dieter who has learned a lot in this journey.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    no matter how you make your calories as long as you are meeting your macro goals you should lose weight, how healthily you lose the weight is up to you, you could say eat 1500 calories in pizza and still lose weight if your body requires 2000 calories... how healthy that would be would be open to question. munching on M&Ms is a good idea only because you shouldnt rule out anything that could eventually be your downfall because you end up craving it.. you deserve treats and things that make you feel good as long as you log them and keep within your calorie goals
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2015
    also if you want truly organic and want to know what goes into it... grow it yourself... otherwise just be aware of the ingredients.

to be honest if you think about it we have been genetically modifying food for centuries... all our staple crops, corn, wheat, etc, they are all versions of wild plants which over the time since we developed agriculture we have messed about with to make better crops... so GMO is kind of a dirty word for something we as humans have been doing for a very long time... not that i'm trying to sell anything to you, just be aware that most food will have been modified from its original many times over the years to improve the crop amount to sell more to us.... just read the labels and understand what it is you are eating and get what you can afford... most overpriced stuff is no better or worse for you
  • jcompto
    jcompto Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you guys! I have been into buying "natures own" brand at Giant. Anyone use it?