Sodium

Options
it seems like every day I go over my sodium limit by a lot. Can any one sujest ways I can lower it?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Do you cook for yourself?

Also, if you don't have an underlying health condition, you probably don't need to worry overly about sodium.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Less pre-packaged food and more fresh meats and vegetables, if sodium is an issue for you.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    We could list a load of food to cut out or down on to reduce sodium. For me high blood pressure so i know the hard task of finding low soduim food. If you like spices use Mrs Dash they have a few flavors cit out deli meats and most all processed foods. The recommended soduim in take for anyone without high blood pressure is 2300mg/ day but that is being challenged by me doctors.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Eat less sodium...Look at the things in your diet that are high in it and cut them out or eat less of those things. I personally don't worry a while lot about sodium levels but I sweat a lot so probably even need more than what MFP thinks I do.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look in your diary to find the three main culprits for the high sodium. Eat something else that you can make from home. Generally, packaged food is high sodium. Add two or three home prepared meals this week (keep it simple). As an example, you can switch from cereal to home prepared oatmeal (rolled oats) that you make by putting it in the fridge the night before with some milk or water.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Cutting down on processed foods and eating out for more homemade meals will help. But if you don't have a reason to watch your sodium intake, I wouldn't really worry about it. I don't even bother tracking it since I'm over 99.5% of the time.
  • ermand
    ermand Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lots of breads have loads of sodium in them. I have switched over to a low sodium pita and it has helped me a lot. Also, anything pre-packaged is going to be terrible for sodium content.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    All of the above plus cutting back on restaurant food -- most all restaurant foods are sodium bombs even salads. For instance, the Cheesecake Factory's dinners average between 1,500mg to over 2,000mg of sodium for one meal. Diet soda even contains sodium.

High blood pressure limits me to no more than 1500mg per day. I've been able to cut my BP meds in half by limiting my sodium intake.

You can find substitutes for high sodium items like breads, processed/boxed foods, tomato sauces/paste, and condiments. Cook homemade/fresh so that you control how much you ingest. Use a variety of spices/herbs instead of salt.

I've found that NOT salting food actually enhances the flavor of foods. Everything I taste, not of my own making, tastes too salty now (pizza!).

• Pammalla
    Pammalla Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Now the I'm off for the summer (I'm a teacher) i will be cooking more myself
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are these foods you are logging submitted from someone else? There's a lot of incorrect foods on here with the salt listed instead of converting to sodium which can really throw your day's sodium out - its worth double checking.